Another Motor Down the Tubes, Need some opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 05:34 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by stg2lgcy00
I'd say if you still want a 2.5L, then rebuild your motor with those 04 heads and ditch the catch can setup you've been running... run no catch cans and set the hoses up like stock just to make sure that wasn't the issue all along. Take every single factor into consideration if you do choose to rebuild.

If you don't want to gamble on the rebuild then do a STI motor which you would still be really happy with.

Lastly if you don't wanna take any chances just go back to running a completley stock WRX motor since it will be cheapest and be reliable.

not any cheaper than going to a completely stock sti motor and far less enjoyable...especially for someone with the motor jeff has.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:55 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Built motors are a gamble imo. Replace it with a stock subaru engine (usdm or jdm STi) or ditch that curse of a car!

Ive read quite a bit of your misfortune...that sucks, good luck!
Old 02-15-2007, 06:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
why not just stop modding
Old 02-15-2007, 06:27 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Originally Posted by ipozestu
I couldn't wait to leave the lot sideways "dukes of hazard style".
I think thats only for rally cars that get rebuilt all the time

Theres a clean STi engine in the classifieds for $6500 GET IT! I mean NRFB CLEAN!
Old 02-15-2007, 09:11 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
man Jeff... I don't know what to say. This royally sucks ***** for you.

I would seriously just get a stock 2.0L motor, stock turbo, and nothing more then an uppipe & turbo back, and maybe a mild tune.
I've put 78K miles on mine, with about 40K of it tuned by both Moike and Ed.

Good luck man.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
I think thats only for rally cars that get rebuilt all the time
I guess we should go for a drive when it's back up and running. I'll be the Dukes and you can be boss hog. FWIW The hog never caught the Dukes.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by mcdrama
man Jeff... I don't know what to say. This royally sucks ***** for you.

I would seriously just get a stock 2.0L motor, stock turbo, and nothing more then an uppipe & turbo back, and maybe a mild tune.
I've put 78K miles on mine, with about 40K of it tuned by both Moike and Ed.

Good luck man.
Yup I'm sucking Salty Chocolate *****. Must be nice to have a car that runs.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: e39
sorry to hear what happened to ur car jeff one minute ur car is running like a bat out of hell and breaking trannies the next it's on a lift with a blown motor. Knowing a lot of people like you I know you will never be satisfied until you have a fast perfectly working motor/car with everything working in harmony. So just do it and get that motor rebuilt and get ur car running again. If you want I can hook you up with a priest to bless ur car.
Raymund
Old 02-16-2007, 01:20 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by mcowger

The economist in me is screaming 'SUNK COST!!!'.

Your past investments in the motor are irrelevant at this point, if you want to make a purely 'can I afford this' rational decision. What matters is RIGHT NOW, do you think a new engine will work? Is it worth $3500 to you? Your past history should not be a factor here.
Im glad you put into corporate terms the idea that Ive tried to express in laymans tersm many times before.

yeah jeff, i think the best thing to do at this point is just put it as close back to stock, get your parts out of it, and trade it in when the new imprezas come out this fall, like me with my STI, hopefully most of the parts we take off will still fit on he new car,.and hey, it will certainly still come with a 2.5 and AVCS that we can slap a 20G on and be happy pushing 300whp on pump with!
Old 02-16-2007, 08:20 AM

Car Info: '04 STi
jeff, based on your track record with this car... put it back to stock and trade it in for a new one. i think you've gone through one of the worst experiences modding. sorry bro.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:41 AM

Hard call to make.

Darn i wouldn't want to be in your shoes

I would have to side with Krinkov, unless this is a second car for you and you don't mind some of the downtime/costs.

Best wishes Jeff.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:35 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Krinkov
Im glad you put into corporate terms the idea that Ive tried to express in laymans tersm many times before.

yeah jeff, i think the best thing to do at this point is just put it as close back to stock, get your parts out of it, and trade it in when the new imprezas come out this fall, like me with my STI, hopefully most of the parts we take off will still fit on he new car,.and hey, it will certainly still come with a 2.5 and AVCS that we can slap a 20G on and be happy pushing 300whp on pump with!

not a bad idea.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:03 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by Krinkov

I'll take this one step further. You should drop this stuff cold turkey. Some of your posts sound like a gambler: "I've lost so much money gambling there's no turning back now, might as well keep going..."

I would just leave this car in the garage for a few months, preferably like a year. Take care of other thing in life. Take step back. Concentrate on job try to get promoted or get a raise, take care of the girlfriend, you know all that jazz.

Because you mentioned difficulty with even car payments now. Just step away. You want the car to revolve around your life, not the other way around
Old 02-16-2007, 10:16 AM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
Originally Posted by ipozestu
Yesterday I went to GST to have my motor tuned. This was supposed to be the "tweak" tune. All of the bugs were suposed to be worked out. I couldn't wait to leave the lot sideways "dukes of hazard style". Before I got there I was aware of some burning oil smell, I let Mike know with hopes he could find something and continue with this POS car I have. After a few attempts to correct the problem, the car was removed from the dyno for a leak down. 20% and 25% on Cylinders one and three. We put it up on the lift because we heard air coming from the throttle body and removed the exhaust manifold and found a stream of shiny black carbon oozing from the exhaust valve and into the manifold. So an F'd up vavle seal and bad rings have brought me to the point of exhaustion.

Some of you may know about the long and winding road I have been on with this car. To make a long story short; since Dec '05 , 5 motors, two turbos, one transmission.
I'm looking for some suggestions here. What the hell should I do? I have at least 18 g's into the car. Virtually everything has been changed. SHould I fix it?

I can't afford a new car as this one has broken me in two.

Cuttiing my losses is a complete insult. If I were to cut my losses It should have been done when the first motor went out.

If it happens againI am virtually in the same position as I am know except I am out another 2-5 g's.

What would you do?
just sell it, buy a vette and turbo it....
Old 02-16-2007, 10:18 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by verc
I'll take this one step further. You should drop this stuff cold turkey. Some of your posts sound like a gambler: "I've lost so much money gambling there's no turning back now, might as well keep going..."

I would just leave this car in the garage for a few months, preferably like a year. Take care of other thing in life. Take step back. Concentrate on job try to get promoted or get a raise, take care of the girlfriend, you know all that jazz.

Because you mentioned difficulty with even car payments now. Just step away. You want the car to revolve around your life, not the other way around

he just got promoted and he's married?????

Quick Reply: Another Motor Down the Tubes, Need some opinions...