Another Motor Down the Tubes, Need some opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Pretty much.

You say that the crawford motor was #2... and that the #3 and #4 motor was a UDSM STi short block... but what about the internals? wasn't this motor still a crawford motor to some extent?

-Gagan
No, the crawford motor was scrapped. I sold the shell to Gruppe-s for $500. The USDM STi block was purchased brand new from Subaru. After the ring lands blew the pistons were pulled, cylinder walls rehoned, and another set of USDM STi pistons were installed. This time around, we don't really know what is wrong with the pistons, except that thet failed leakdown. Nothing horrible, but 20-25% is nothing to cheer about.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:09 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
hopefully it's not as bad as it seems. This sucks man. I honestly have no words for you. Bummed bro....truly bummed.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:11 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I remember when the last one went we talked about the heads possibly being the culprit as it was the only non changed part from the crawford mess.
The plan now is basically, remove everything. Replace all components, install 100Mil JE forged pistons, bore the clyinder walls to match. Scrap the heads for a set of rebuilt 04's. The problem i have with this is the guessing. I can't afford the shots in the dark. A methodical approach that answers questions, that is what we are in need of.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:18 PM
VIP Member

hopefully it's not as bad as it seems. This sucks man. I honestly have no words for you. Bummed bro....truly bummed.
Oh you can bet, It's as bad as it seems.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:23 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
you ever get money out of the folks that said they'd pay up with some of the other blown motors????
Old 02-15-2007, 01:26 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
[QUOTE=ipozestu
Cuttiing my losses is a complete insult. If I were to cut my losses It should have been done when the first motor went out.

What would you do?[/QUOTE]

The economist in me is screaming 'SUNK COST!!!'.

Your past investments in the motor are irrelevant at this point, if you want to make a purely 'can I afford this' rational decision. What matters is RIGHT NOW, do you think a new engine will work? Is it worth $3500 to you? Your past history should not be a factor here.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:30 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by ipozestu
There is quite a bit that I am not sharing, as this story is way too long. One thing I will share is that from the moment the car was removed from FLI(***kers). I vowed to both Ed and Mike, I was no longer going to ignore thier suggestions. What they recommended is what we would do. I follow thier instuctions to a tee. Both of them I am sure can attest to that. I am active enough in the community that many can verify how long this road has been, and that I have never veared off the path regarkess of how rough it got.
I can deffinately vouch for Jeff taking both mine and Mike's advice ever since his initial crawford/fli experience. I was absolutely shocked when Jeff's STI shortblock let go in my hands as I've worked with a good number of similar setups before with no issues. The car also never really made the power that it should have given the setup. After that incident, I believed there must be something else wrong and I decided to step away from the car as I could not take liability for another motor that may let go. Jeff and I agreed it would be best to have the same shop that installed the new motor, tune the car after the install. It seemed like this motor was finally going to last, but after this, I'm completely convinced there is something else causing these issues. Your original motor shouldn't have blown in the first place, the crawford motor was kind of a wash, and these last two deffinately shouldn't have let go. The damn thing is cursed!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:35 PM
VIP Member

you ever get money out of the folks that said they'd pay up with some of the other blown motors????
I got half, It won't be long til I start begging for the other half. For some good news, my tranny checked out with IA and they gave the full core $800.

mcowger: I totally understand what you are saying. For what ever reason past experience has quite an influence. I guess that is why I am asking a bit more from Mike this time around. Quite a bit relies on his certainty.

Last edited by ipozestu; 02-16-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:38 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MethodBuilt
The damn thing is cursed!
Do you know anyone that knows "Jewdoo" that could remove the curse?
Old 02-15-2007, 01:45 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
mcowger: I totally understand what you are saying. For what ever reason past experience has quite an influence. I guess that is why I am asking a bit more from Mike this time around. Quite a bit relies on his certainty.
Past exerience will alawys an emotional influence, but shouldn't be involved in a rational decision.

My advice? Given that you must have a car, I'd suggest going and buying a brand spanking new COMPLETE DEAD STOCK WRX motor, shoving it in the car and neve touching it again. No tuning, no modifying it, etc. Stock ECU, stock motor.

Its the least cost answer with the greatest liklihood of working for a long time, short of buying a $2000 honda on CL.

best of luck!

--Matt
Old 02-15-2007, 01:56 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Do you know anyone that knows "Jewdoo" that could remove the curse?
haha... I dunno... maybe ask Jeremy?
Old 02-15-2007, 01:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Look at the bright side - at least your driver's rear door is CHERRY, brah. Ho man that sucks bigtime... I thought my car was cursed but DAYAM.

What would I do? Pick up a cheapo beater to get around and take the stress out of rebuilding the Suby FIRST. Then, get a stock USDM STi engine, supporting parts to make it safe and strong, and have it tuned conservatively. Mike knows what is up with your car, the history and such, so my thought is he will work with it accordingly to make sure your car is safe and sound. I cannot speak for him, but this is what his reputation suggests.

I hope it works out for you Jeff - this is a raw deal to be sure. I have been thinking of turning in this R32 for a WRX wag but then I hear these stories and remember my own (not even close to yours) and I think... Hmm... Nah.

An old timer told me "never rely solely on a turbo car, always have a backup. Never under any circumstances own two turbo or two rotary cars at once as they will gang up on you." Words to live by.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:04 PM

Car Info: White 04 WRX
stock sti motor like others have said...thats what i would do
Old 02-15-2007, 04:56 PM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
Catch Cans: Mike has had problems in the past with running different ID hoses. Apparently this can result in excessive back pressure in the crank case. It's a long shot but an educated one.

Sorry for the Noob question, I guess I don't understand what this means? Someone explain?
Old 02-15-2007, 05:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
I'd say if you still want a 2.5L, then rebuild your motor with those 04 heads and ditch the catch can setup you've been running... run no catch cans and set the hoses up like stock just to make sure that wasn't the issue all along. Take every single factor into consideration if you do choose to rebuild.

If you don't want to gamble on the rebuild then do a STI motor which you would still be really happy with.

Lastly if you don't wanna take any chances just go back to running a completley stock WRX motor since it will be cheapest and be reliable.

Quick Reply: Another Motor Down the Tubes, Need some opinions...