View Poll Results: Which car would you rather buy?
1993 Mustang GT 5.0 3-4K
40.74%
2000 Honda Civic Si 9-10K
59.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Another Car Dilemma...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by svo+wrx
thats true!

How
Odd
No
Damn
Acceleration
Hey svo+wrx..just wondering, why do you have the +wrx in your name? do u have any of those cars?
Old 03-21-2005, 04:14 PM

Car Info: 1984 mustang svo
restoring 2 svo's and might get a wrx someday. wrx is in it mostly cuz its wrx forum
________
Herbal vaporizer

Last edited by svo+wrx; 04-14-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
I say get the Civic just because it'll be more comfortable and reliable over the 6 months that he'll have it.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:52 AM

Car Info: Not a WRX any more . . .
Originally Posted by BillJC
Mustangs are probably one of the easiest
True.

and reliable
Sorry, it took me a day to reply because I was laughing so hard.

cars to work on. What exactly went wrong with yours?
Too many things to count. Off the top of my head I can recall being standed because of the heater core a couple times, fuel pump a few times, head gasket a couple times, eventually the heads cracked and I had to have the engine rebuilt, all under 100k miles. And it always wanted to overheat, eventually I just took the thermostat out, that helped. I've never found oil in the coolant in any other car I owned, with that car it was pretty common.

Plentiful inexpensive parts
This only helps if you never drive more than pushing distance from a shop. It doesn't help if you are in the middle of the Utah desert for instance.

so I fail to see why you say it costs a lot to keep it running.
plentiful inexpensive parts x frequent repairs = costs a lot

Wow, the memories that brought back. And just as I was starting to kind of like the new mustang. Now I'm cured again.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:53 PM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX
Originally Posted by bclee
True.

Sorry, it took me a day to reply because I was laughing so hard.

Too many things to count. Off the top of my head I can recall being standed because of the heater core a couple times, fuel pump a few times, head gasket a couple times, eventually the heads cracked and I had to have the engine rebuilt, all under 100k miles. And it always wanted to overheat, eventually I just took the thermostat out, that helped. I've never found oil in the coolant in any other car I owned, with that car it was pretty common.

This only helps if you never drive more than pushing distance from a shop. It doesn't help if you are in the middle of the Utah desert for instance.

plentiful inexpensive parts x frequent repairs = costs a lot

Wow, the memories that brought back. And just as I was starting to kind of like the new mustang. Now I'm cured again.
Dude, I don't know who was working on your car but, I've had nothing but good service with my cars. Small block fords run well past 100k miles before needing attention. The 302 in my 67 was running fine all the way up to 187k miles before I pulled the engine for a fresh crate engine. Overheating and head gaskets sounds like another issue all together. Probably more due to a clogged radiator or clogged passages in the block. Was the coolant changed on a regular basis? Were you doing your own maintenance? I know of quite a few guys bashing 150k mile motors on the race track with little problems. And they put out a bit more power than stock. Taking the thermostat out and not replacing it with a restrictor was probably the worst thing that your could have done. The coolant doesn't stay in the radiator core long enough to transfer the heat and doesn't stay in the engine enough to absorb it. So the coolant will read somewhat normal when your engine is really over heating.

The heater core and the fuel pump sound like the only real problems that I've heard of. Again, I don't know what the maintence was like for your particular car but, I can site many 5.0 mustangs that lasted well above 100k miles on the road and track. So, I'm sorry you had a bad experience but, it sounds like an isolated incident.

Bill
Old 03-22-2005, 03:43 PM

Car Info: 1984 mustang svo
the only common problem that ive seen in all mustangs is the seats in the 5.0s making the "gangsta lean" besides that i havent seen any problems accur commonly in mustangs
________
Lovely Wendie99

Last edited by svo+wrx; 04-14-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:03 PM

How is your SVO going d00d!!!
Old 03-29-2005, 06:10 PM

Hey no offence but Fords are known to be high maintenance cars. Why would they have come out with jokes like "Found On Road Dead" or "Fixed Or Repaired Daily"?