another best tuner thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:56 AM

Car Info: 06 WRX, 04 FXT, 02 Forester L, 95 JDM LGT
Exclamation another best tuner thread

ok i know this has been discussed, but please help me out with choosing a tunner for my car. the only tuners i know of are Mike, Shiv, Ed, and dude at EIP. im not sure what the difference is in their tunning.

i want to get my car tunned for torque, like low end power really. im thinking i might need to wait for more mods to make it worth the money though.

my mods are
-Helix high flow catted downpipe
-Borola hush exhaust
-Kartboy exhaust hangers
-SPT short ram intake
-SPT intake heat shield
-Perrin light weight crank pulley
-STi short shifter
-COBB pro tuner stg 2 off shelf map

i plan on getting

-Samco intercooler hoses
-Samco radiator hose
-bigger TMIC
-ACT HD street disk clutch
-ACT lightweight fly wheel

some times i drive like a jackazz but not all the time. i might red line my engine like once a week. so i want a tune that wont allow me to fuc up my engine, but at the same time having a tune that alows for alot of power.

please discuss this in a logical positive manner with no empty clains if possible. all input is apreiciated.

thank you

edit: its an '06 wrx

Last edited by rallied out wrx; 12-19-2006 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:08 AM

Location: My lugnuts require more torque then your Honda makes
Car Info: 05 WRX
No catless up-pipe?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:13 AM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
Originally Posted by gqchynaboy
No catless up-pipe?

do the '06's have a catted uppipe? I thought they didn't IIRC.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:17 AM

Car Info: 06 WRX, 04 FXT, 02 Forester L, 95 JDM LGT
im pretty sure it has a catted up pipe stock. although it might not hurt to get a new up pipe with larger diamerter. but i think ill just keep the stocker.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:42 AM

Location: My lugnuts require more torque then your Honda makes
Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by STiYLIN
do the '06's have a catted uppipe? I thought they didn't IIRC.
oh, I didn't know he was an 06
Old 12-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
I would suggest contacting each of the tuners your thinking of using and discussing your goals with them. Any of the tuners you listed above I am sure would take good care of you and help you achieve your goals.

Mike
Old 12-19-2006, 09:57 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
I would suggest contacting each of the tuners your thinking of using and discussing your goals with them. Any of the tuners you listed above I am sure would take good care of you and help you achieve your goals.

Mike

good advice.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
Another thing to bear in mind is that you're going to likely be building a relationship with "your" tuner. Take some time and talk to the various guys and make sure you get along with whoever you decide to go with, since you're going to be working with them for a while.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:26 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by platypus
Another thing to bear in mind is that you're going to likely be building a relationship with "your" tuner. Take some time and talk to the various guys and make sure you get along with whoever you decide to go with, since you're going to be working with them for a while.
Also great advice
Old 12-19-2006, 10:33 AM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports

Mike
+1. Honestly I'm still not sure which tuner I want to go with either. My goals are pretty much the same as his (low end TQ.) I just hear this and that and rumors and BS about everyone around the bay, and then you get to start thinking who do you really want to choose to tune your car? (I'm not talking about anyone specifically that tunes, so please don't that impression.) I've found an amazing mechanic shop to take my car to (LIC) now to just choose a tuner lol. I, like everyone else, just wants a good, safe tune thats reliable. It just takes time, do some research, try to forget the high school gossip people talk about and focus on the results the tuner produces and has in the past. Ask current and past customers how their expierence was. Ask what the results were and how their car turned out. Just take the time to evaluate them and talk to them. Right now I'm considering 2 specific tuners, but I need to get an AP before I get my car tuned...so I'm going to go look for one hehe

Last edited by Hatteroo; 12-19-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:03 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
If those are all you plan on getting, then get a bigger TMIC first. Basically all you have right for power is an intake and exhaust, which shouldn't require a tune unless you're getting boost creep. Save your money and get the TMIC and tune it afterwards.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:13 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
If those are all you plan on getting, then get a bigger TMIC first. Basically all you have right for power is an intake and exhaust, which shouldn't require a tune unless you're getting boost creep. Save your money and get the TMIC and tune it afterwards.
While a TMIC does help a bit on the 06 WRX due to the tiny IC that it comes with, you will not really see much of a gain from the TMIC upgrade with the stock turbo. If anything, it will help with overall consistancy of the tune. There are also very significant gains to be had from a custom tune with the mods listed in the original post.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2006, 01:22 PM

Car Info: 04 STI, 03 M3, 08 335i, 15 i3
06 uppipes are catless
Old 12-19-2006, 04:39 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by MethodBuilt
While a TMIC does help a bit on the 06 WRX due to the tiny IC that it comes with, you will not really see much of a gain from the TMIC upgrade with the stock turbo. If anything, it will help with overall consistancy of the tune. There are also very significant gains to be had from a custom tune with the mods listed in the original post.

Thanks
I agree with everything you say, however with the potential mods he had listed I'd recommend getting the TMIC first. If he was planning to get a turbo, then I'd recommend a tune now, and slowly build up the required parts necessary for an aftermarket turbo like the injectors, fp, etc as that may take a while vs just buying a TMIC.

Also, I agree that there is smoothness and power available from just an intake/exhaust, however it's usually not needed. Though, I wouldn't justify spending the X amount of dollars needed to tune (for only more power, no real safety issues with the exhaust and SPT intake), buy the TMIC, then spend more Y amount of dollars for another retune.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:20 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
I agree with everything you say, however with the potential mods he had listed I'd recommend getting the TMIC first. If he was planning to get a turbo, then I'd recommend a tune now, and slowly build up the required parts necessary for an aftermarket turbo like the injectors, fp, etc as that may take a while vs just buying a TMIC.

Also, I agree that there is smoothness and power available from just an intake/exhaust, however it's usually not needed. Though, I wouldn't justify spending the X amount of dollars needed to tune (for only more power, no real safety issues with the exhaust and SPT intake), buy the TMIC, then spend more Y amount of dollars for another retune.
The only thing I disagree with is that a bigger tmic is vital for this setup to perform well. Its not really a necessary part unless you want to extract every little bit out of this setup and maybe if you'll be tracking the car a lot.

If he does plan on getting a TMIC, I'd certainly agree with you that he should wait for the tune until he gets one.

Thanks

Quick Reply: another best tuner thread