Amazing (and Disturbing) Pictures, Pollution in China

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:01 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Amazing (and Disturbing) Pictures, Pollution in China

I cam across an article about a documentary on pollution in China and wanted to share it here. There is really not much to say as the pictures and their descriptions speak for themselves. Stuff like this most likely goes on in other third world countries, but rarely do I think it is captured or shows to the world in such a matter.

Below is a link to the complete exhibition as well as selected narrations and pictures that I transferred into this tread. Feel free to discuss.

PS. I was not sure where to post this (Politics, Photography or general Bay Area forum sections); so if the mods want to move it to a more appropriate area, that is fine.

http://www.chinahush.com/2009/10/21/...tion-in-china/

October 14, 2009, the 30th annual awards ceremony of the W. Eugene Smith Memorial Fund took place at the Asia Society in New York City. Lu Guang (卢广) from People’s Republic of China won the $30,000 W. Eugene Smith Grant in Humanistic Photography for his documentary project “Pollution in China.”

Lu Guang (卢广), freelancer photographer, started as an amateur photographer in 1980. He was a factory worker, later started his own photo studio and advertising agency. August of 1993 he returned to post-graduate studies at the Central Arts and Design Academy in Beijing (now is the Academy of Arts and Design, Tsinghua University). During graduate school, he studied, traveled all over the country and carved out a career, became the “dark horse” of the photographer circle in Beijing. Skilled at social documentary photography, his insightful, creative and artistic work often focused on “social phenomena and people living at the bottom of society”, attracted the attentions of the national photography circle and the media. Many of his award winning works focused on social issues like, “gold rush in the west”, “drug girl”, “small coal pit”, “HIV village”, “the Grand Canal”, “development of the Qinghai-Tibet Railway” and so on.
2. Chemical waste from Jiangsu Taixing Chemical Industrial District (江苏泰兴化工园区) dumped on top of the Yangtze River bank. May 15, 2009

6. Guiyu, Guangdong province, (广东省贵屿镇) rivers and reservoirs have been contaminated, the villager is washing in a seriously polluted pond. November 25, 2005

9. In Ma’anshan, Anhui province (安徽马鞍山), along the Yangtze River there are many small-scaled Iron selection factories and plastic processing plants. Large amounts of sewage discharged into the Yangtze River June 18, 2009

16. Hebei Province Shexian Tianjin Iron and steel plant (河北省涉县天津钢铁厂) is a heavily polluting company. Company scale is still growing, seriously affecting the lives of local residents. March 18, 2008

21. Shanxi Province is the most polluted areas of China. It is also the province with the highest rate of birth defects. This loving farmer couple adopted 17 disabled children. April 15, 2009

25. Villagers from Kang village in Linfen City, Shanxi Province (山西省临汾市下康村) due to long-term consumption of the polluted water contaminated by industrial waste, there were 50 people who have cancer and cerebral thrombosis. 64-year-old **** Baosheng got ill since 2003, he has fester all over his body so he cannot go to bed and lying face down on the edge of the bed each day. July 10, 2005

Old 11-02-2009, 12:08 PM

truly awesome. My friend just showed me a thing of photos yesterday, showing all these amazing landscapes and great places. He is like "see man you are an idiot" china is nice blh blah blah. I think China has some really nice places, but the sad fact is for the average citizen life is hard as hell there.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
yup, especially if you're Tibetan - it's important to see all sides of ANY country - people always knock the US for its flaws - it's time the former Olympics host shows theirs AND deals with it
Old 11-02-2009, 02:32 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
looks like LA! it's because they have WAY to mnay people!!
Old 11-02-2009, 02:37 PM

Car Info: .
I don't want to see that! As long as the prices at Walmart are nice and cheap I'm happy.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
China is like the older brother of N. Korea.
they only try to show whats good and hide the rest.
i remember watching the documentary Panorama regarding Beijing Olympics, its sickening what the government does to its own people. China, USA, they're all the same.

Last edited by Jin; 11-02-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:50 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
It looks like most of the pictures are very recent. Just remember, that China shut down a LOT of factories to try to decrease the pollution for the olympic games. I believe most of these factories were never reopened, so it was even worse only a few years ago.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
thats what happens when you're red, not red white and blue... hopefully the Chinese use all the debt they're buying from us to clean up their country and not over power us.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:24 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Um the debt they are buying from us?

How are our IOU's going to pay for anything?
Old 11-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
I have some great Chinese friends and I think the culture is something really fantastic, but once you get me started on their gov't, there's no stopping me.

Screw communism!

I feel so bad for some of the Chinese people who have to suffer through that crap. No wonder they all come here!
Old 11-02-2009, 05:18 PM

Car Info: '14 Cayman
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
I don't want to see that! As long as the prices at Walmart are nice and cheap I'm happy.
most americans wont admit to this, but im sure thats what they think deep down.

every country has flaws. i wouldnt be surprised if china has worst slums than india or any other country that old santa looking dude on TV talks about.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:30 PM

Car Info: 07 STi EQ tuned / 08 LEGACY
very sad indeed that people have to live like that, it doesnt matter where those slums are at they are still human, and its sad when we can treat an animal better than our own human brothers and sisters.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
Originally Posted by brucelee
I have some great Chinese friends and I think the culture is something really fantastic, but once you get me started on their gov't, there's no stopping me.

Screw communism!

I feel so bad for some of the Chinese people who have to suffer through that crap. No wonder they all come here!
"Communism" could theoretically work, its the corruption thats ruining it. the best form of government, in my opinion, is monarchy with a good-human-being leader/king/emperor which empires and dynasties had in the past. it just backfires when a bad person takes the throne.

just on a side note, 80% of world's resources are used up by 20% of the population. think about that.

Last edited by Jin; 11-02-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by subybullet
very sad indeed that people have to live like that, it doesnt matter where those slums are at they are still human, and its sad when we can treat an animal better than our own human brothers and sisters.
Yeah, it's some messed up stuff... I've been to several third world countries in my days and I can tell you that it's not pretty, and MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH worse then the USA!!! Here we have laws to prevent a lot of that crap, and in some of those countries they do too, it's just a matter of enforcing them... The difference is that we can.

I've never seen anything as bad as those pictures (knock on wood), and I feel really bad for those that have to suffer through that kind of toxic existence.

I don't know what's worse, living in those conditions or living in war torn Iraq/Afghanistan (other countries that have been torn by war)
Old 11-02-2009, 05:54 PM

Car Info: 07 STi EQ tuned / 08 LEGACY
Originally Posted by brucelee
Yeah, it's some messed up stuff... I've been to several third world countries in my days and I can tell you that it's not pretty, and MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH worse then the USA!!! Here we have laws to prevent a lot of that crap, and in some of those countries they do too, it's just a matter of enforcing them... The difference is that we can.

I've never seen anything as bad as those pictures (knock on wood), and I feel really bad for those that have to suffer through that kind of toxic existence.

I don't know what's worse, living in those conditions or living in war torn Iraq/Afghanistan (other countries that have been torn by war)
ya ive been to southern china to kowloon and it was sad to see and smell the horror there. the people at the factories work 6 days a week and poo and pee in holes in the ground, they hardly ever go home so they live there at the plant and visit their families when they deliver money to them. they were so happy to see americans hoping that we could give them something of any value, i was so appreciative of being an american at that point.

Quick Reply: Amazing (and Disturbing) Pictures, Pollution in China