Almost that time of year again... SNOW TIRES! Put your 2-cents here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
i have bfg winter slaloms that arent too bad. they are studded but you can buy them studless. i actually had to ride on them for a few months this summer down here in the bay area and they held up fine in the dry. just a bit noisy with the studs in. snow perf is good.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:26 PM

Car Info: 05 Saab 9-2X Aero
For weekend trips to tahoe, I'm going to go with either the Continental ExremeContacts or the Nokian WR. They are both all seasons, but the WR has the snowflake for severe service, and the continentals have good performance in the snow for an M+S. The WR is probably the best choice, but pricey.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:41 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon
going to roll on my stockers and re92's... might as well at least try to get rid of them as my winter tires.... ;-)
Old 10-10-2005, 06:15 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Yeah, I would second the Nokian WR group buy deal. It is a dedicated snow/ice tire that was created with the ability to perform like an all season tire on wet and dry roads.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:48 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
Originally Posted by subabu05
going to roll on my stockers and re92's... might as well at least try to get rid of them as my winter tires.... ;-)
Assuming most of the tread is there, you'll be fine if you drive slow.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by SoobAeroDude
For weekend trips to tahoe, I'm going to go with either the Continental ExremeContacts or the Nokian WR. They are both all seasons, but the WR has the snowflake for severe service, and the continentals have good performance in the snow for an M+S. The WR is probably the best choice, but pricey.
I am currently running the ContiExtrememContact tires. Maybe I don't need a snow tire?

Hmmm...

I always thought the Conti had biggish tread blocks and decent looking siping.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:14 AM
Yin

dont waste yer money, just use those.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:03 AM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Ive been on the East coast the last 2 winters, the first winter I had P7000's and last winter I had SP5000's. I had no problems with either of them, I never got stuck and when I got sideways, either intentionally or otherwise, they always found enough grip to get back going straight. I think dedicated snows are a waste, but thats just me.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by jewpac42
I think dedicated snows are a waste, but thats just me.
+1 Unless you live around Tahoe or in the hills, M+S are good enough.

I was looking at Dunlop SP5000s and the Continentals, but the manager at the local America's Tires recommended the Pirelli 4 Season M+S.

He said that the Dunlops and Continentals were both better for all round performance, but the Pirellis were better in snowy or wet conditions.

Given that he could have sold me the more expensive Dunlops or Contis, I decided to trust him. The only catch is they only do H rated in the stock size. Since I have separate summer tires, this isn't a problem.

Anyway, they worked out great last year and gave substantially more traction than the RE92s I had used in the past.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:06 PM
ish

To all those that think its dumb to get snow tires.

You currently have summer tires. You want to buy tires that will pretty much only be used to drive in snow/winter conditions as you use those all times when you don't go to the snow.

Why buy an all season tire when you can get some actual winter tires for not much more money considering they will be used pretty much just for winter driving?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Yin

well, i think another side of the argument is that some people will only use a set of allseasons year-round. in which case, i would not want a dedicated winter tire, nor the nokian wr.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by ish

You currently have summer tires. You want to buy tires that will pretty much only be used to drive in snow/winter conditions as you use those all times when you don't go to the snow.

All we are saying is that for 'average' use the full snow tires are probably overkill, whereas a good all-season can be used during other times in the year. The only real snow/winter conditions are for the last 40 or so miles over the pass into and around Tahoe. If you spend a lot of time around there, snows - or even studded tires (if they are legal) may be worth it.

Personally, I put the all-seasons on in November and take them off at the back end of March so I don't have to keep swapping wheels out every trip. Obviously, you could run the snow tires as a daily driver, but I think it would hammer the tread really quickly.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
Originally Posted by Yin
well, i think another side of the argument is that some people will only use a set of allseasons year-round. in which case, i would not want a dedicated winter tire, nor the nokian wr.

THE NOKIAN IS AN ALL SEASON TIRE COMPLETE WITH 50K TREAD LIFE GUARANTEE!!!
Old 10-11-2005, 08:04 PM
ish

Originally Posted by Lorry
All we are saying is that for 'average' use the full snow tires are probably overkill, whereas a good all-season can be used during other times in the year. The only real snow/winter conditions are for the last 40 or so miles over the pass into and around Tahoe. If you spend a lot of time around there, snows - or even studded tires (if they are legal) may be worth it.

Personally, I put the all-seasons on in November and take them off at the back end of March so I don't have to keep swapping wheels out every trip. Obviously, you could run the snow tires as a daily driver, but I think it would hammer the tread really quickly.
This thread isn't about what tires to get if he wants to go up to Tahoe a couple times a year. This thread is specifically about snow/winter tires.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:32 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Originally Posted by ish

Why buy an all season tire when you can get some actual winter tires for not much more money considering they will be used pretty much just for winter driving?
I use one set of tires all year, I cant afford snows and summers so I just get an all season tire, and this is when I lived in hardcore snow in upstate NY.

Quick Reply: Almost that time of year again... SNOW TIRES! Put your 2-cents here.