All Seasons or Blizzaks for Tahoe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:03 PM

Car Info: 2011 Impreza 2.5i Dark Gray Metallic
The problem w/ All Season (M+S) tires is they are just OK on light snow, but they suck BIG time on HEAVY snow & ICE. The only All-Season tires that capable of handling snow & ice is Nokian tires, but they cost an arm & leg.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:35 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Fendyman
The problem w/ All Season (M+S) tires is they are just OK on light snow, but they suck BIG time on HEAVY snow & ICE. The only All-Season tires that capable of handling snow & ice is Nokian tires, but they cost an arm & leg.
Unless you live up above snow level or stay up there for extended periods of time it's pretty rare to have to drive in heavy snow... and all tires suck on ice unless you go studded.

California is pretty good about keeping things plowed to keep pile up from happening. It's very rare to have to drive in more than a couple inches of snow.

I've been in bumper deep snow with the nero m/s tires for MILES and not had to many issues. If it gets bad just pull a few pounds out of the tires and be careful... Or put chains on.

99% of the time you'll be fine with M/S tires unless you live up there. I've seen 4x4 trucks with snow tires spin and get stuck in the same conditions I'm driving by them with summer tires on my car. The biggest factor is just being careful.

Snow tires are awesome if you can afford them or afford 2 sets of tires but this is California not Vermont.

If the snow is that deep the roads are usually closed or you shouldn't be out there anyways. Not like our cars have huge ground clearance.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:44 PM

Car Info: 2005 forester
studded snow tires wor the win!!!!! in colorado they are just like driving on rainy roads!!! not quite dry roads but close!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:01 PM

Car Info: Subaru STI
lived in colorado with my STi for 3 winters, Blizacks lm-22's FTW! also had Michelin pilot alpin's, they were also really amazing on the snow, and in the summer use them for dirt roads, they will blow you mind.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:54 PM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
I have a set of blizzak lm22s, and love them. Hwy 80 is usually pretty well plowed and all season tires are probly good enough. If you take lesser plowed roads like going to kirkwood, I found the lm22s very confidence inspiring. While folks in all seasons are going 30mph, the snow tire folks are going 60 trying to pass the traffic on the long straights. As long as you don't think you're invincible, snow tires are really good.

If youre the type that after hearing that there a snow astorm in tahoe, it makes you want to go up the next day, I would highly reccomend a 2nd set of cheap rims with snow tires.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:32 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by horsecut54
also had Michelin pilot alpin's, they were also really amazing on the snow, and in the summer use them for dirt roads, they will blow you mind.
Agreed. I had those tires on my old wrx wagon and they were great on ice, snow and dirt. Many fond memories of blasting broadies in dirt/mud fields
Old 11-15-2010, 07:52 PM

Car Info: 2008 STi OBP
Originally Posted by horsecut54
also had Michelin pilot alpin's, they were also really amazing on the snow, and in the summer use them for dirt roads, they will blow you mind.
This!
I have Alpins on an old set of BBS I picked up on Craigslist for a winter setup. For the OP, I recommend this path since you already have the snow tires. Just get some cheap old stockers, fit the snow tires and then swap wheels in December and April every year. Works great for me and maximizes safety/fun in the snow.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:36 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
OK so here is what I gather so far:
-Nero M+S is OK for light to deep snow. Although you can't go too fast with them and they have problems with ice.
Now, can I drive around the bay with the dedicated snow tires? I am pretty sure it gets pretty warm here. The question is, can they handle it?

P.S. I am impressed with dry handling of an All Season tire. I am pretty sure I would destroy it at the track in no time, but around town the turn in is pretty good. Its actually more fun to drive the car at limit. You need to drive the car hard with Bridgestone RE-01Rs just to feel the limits--too much to keep it legal on the street actually.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:46 PM

Car Info: 2011 STI Sedan
I have a set of Yokohama w.drives. They are snow tires with the snow flake/mountain symbol but also have a high speed rating and are said to perform very well in the dry and rain. I go to tahoe everyweekend from the bay area so total miles driven on a given weekend would be 90% with no snow at all. These should perform better than a/s tires in the snow and better than blizzak's in the dry ( I hope at least)...
Old 11-16-2010, 08:51 AM

Car Info: WRX
I keep an extra set of wheels with snow tires takes 15 minutes to swap in my garage. I live in the snow though. You're probably better off with good all seasons since you will probably only spend less than 5% of the tire life actually in snow. You'll burn them up driving around the bay.

Snow tires aren't very fun for pavement though. Too soft and they wear out way too quick.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Let's see, I've had Blizzak LM22s, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s and General Altimax Arctics over the past 7 years or so. I stick them on an extra set of rims and swap them out each time I'm heading to the mountains. The Blizzaks were amazing in the snow, but wear out relatively quickly on dry if you drive on them all winter (super soft compound). The Michelins were a better compromise for Bay Area roads during the winter (slightly harder compound). The Generals are IMHO the best compromise for Bay Area winter driving (I still swap them out once we're back in the bay).

For me, it wasn't really a matter of "if I can get by on all seasons" because snow is my favorite surface to drive on. If you truly enjoy driving in the snow and want to have a level of confidence not afforded by traditional all seasons, you owe it to yourself to have a dedicated set of snow tires.

-Brian
Old 11-16-2010, 10:04 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
i have a set of nitto M/S that are great. never had anything else... but i have rolled to tahoe on re615s, toyo proxes, and Z1's....
Old 11-16-2010, 10:10 AM

Car Info: DGM 2011 WRX
Dunlop wintersport 3D's:

You can also consult the costumer surveys, they're all pretty close but I've found I'm happiest with the 3D's when you come off the mountain and have to do an hour of freeway driving with it 80 degrees out. I didn't think they were any less grippy than the blizzaks in snow/ice.

Last edited by manhands; 11-16-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:19 AM

Car Info: '05 psm STi
I live in Tahoe and the car does surprisingly well on a set of all seasons imo. It isn't everyday that the road is covered with snow.
On dump days I just drive the Tundra.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:29 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
^ true, I went up one time on re01r's in snow and still made it to my house but very slow lol

Quick Reply: All Seasons or Blizzaks for Tahoe?