All Seasons or Blizzaks for Tahoe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:50 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
All Seasons or Blizzaks for Tahoe?

I am planning on going up to Tahoe to do some snowboarding this season. Last year I ended up going up only several times. I really want to make an effort in going up more often this season.
I bought a set of slightly used Blizzaks last season that were supposed to go on the second set of wheels that I have. The more I think about it, the more I realize how much of PITA this is going to be--swapping wheels back and forth for each trip and the one time fee to mount/balance.
Are dedicated snow tires an overkill for what I am going to do? Can I get by with just all seasons? I want to avoid to have to put chains on.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:15 PM

Car Info: 2002 Black Subaru WRX Sedan Stage 2
Originally Posted by antonch
I am planning on going up to Tahoe to do some snowboarding this season. Last year I ended up going up only several times. I really want to make an effort in going up more often this season.
I bought a set of slightly used Blizzaks last season that were supposed to go on the second set of wheels that I have. The more I think about it, the more I realize how much of PITA this is going to be--swapping wheels back and forth for each trip and the one time fee to mount/balance.
Are dedicated snow tires an overkill for what I am going to do? Can I get by with just all seasons? I want to avoid to have to put chains on.
Legally speaking, all seasons aren't good enough to avoid having to put on chains unless they're marked MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW on the side wall. The cops don't do more than just ask "Do you have snow tires" though. I personally am putting on blizzaks, but that's because I go up all the time, and I really don't like to drive on tires that are just "good enough", even if I only go a couple of times.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:20 PM

Car Info: 07 Legacy GT Wagon
Snow tires are definitely the way to go if you're going to be snowboarding religiously. I too find it hard to justify the cost and effort required to have two sets of wheels/tires. I've used all seasons for four seasons now. Two with the stock RE92s and two with Bridgestone RE960AS'. I always adjust my driving style to the given conditions and have had zero problems. The stockers became a little sketchy towards the end of their lifespan. I'm due to get some new tires soon and will likely get the RE960s again.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:24 PM

Car Info: '07 WRX Wagon
I can't vouch personally, but I will be buying a set.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS

Highly reviewed as one of the best All Season.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:24 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
I've always been a fan of two sets of wheels and tires for winter/summer. Sure all seasons will work but dedicated snow tires plus awd is very confidence inspiring, especially on ice.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:27 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Also, you have an STi... all seasons could be disappointing when you want to have fun and push it in the dry months.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:28 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
I live in the south bay and ride Tahoe 1-3 days a week, i bought a set of stock rims just for snow tires. It's a must I think. They really don't drive that bad on the road.. I drive about 600 miles a week in the winter on them. Just run them all winter. Put the street tires away for a few months. The way I looked at it was I could have a set of all terrains that would be "okay" on the street and "okay" in the snow. It made more senece to me to have "really good" snow tires and "really good" street tires.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:34 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
I am pretty sure I have the Nero M+S version of the all seasons.
From tirerack:
The P Zero Nero M+S is Pirelli's Ultra High Performance choice for drivers who want to drive their car through America's various weather conditions, including occasional light snow.
But they don't have the snow emblem that the blizzaks have so they are not true winter tires. Will I be OK if it starts too snow hard?
Old 11-14-2010, 10:38 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
It's the ice that the tires make a world of difference on. My buddy had all terrains on his 08 and almost crashed number of times his first time up. Drove back and bought snow tires first thing. Hasn't had any close calls since.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:57 AM

I'd go for for those Michelin snow tires. my blizzaks are just so horrible on regular pavement it's not worth it for the beg part of the drive.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:22 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
i would go with search because we have a long going thread about winter tires and all season tires..
Old 11-15-2010, 11:24 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
all the info you will need.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/who-wants-great-winter-tire-killer-price-213321/
Old 11-15-2010, 12:30 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by antonch
I am pretty sure I have the Nero M+S version of the all seasons.
From tirerack:
The P Zero Nero M+S is Pirelli's Ultra High Performance choice for drivers who want to drive their car through America's various weather conditions, including occasional light snow.
But they don't have the snow emblem that the blizzaks have so they are not true winter tires. Will I be OK if it starts too snow hard?
The M/S rated tires are fine. I personally think it's the best all season tire ever made. Unfortunately, they are getting harder and harder to find.

You should be fine with any M/S rated tire. I've used a few different ones and as long as you don't drive like an idiot they do fine and I've driven in some gnarly conditions and driven in snow like an idiot. haaa.

Only dedicated winter tires like the blizzak have the snow icon. Those are great to have if you have an additional set of wheels. It takes 20 minutes to swap wheels so that's the best way to go. But if you are feeling lazy and looking for an all around tire, the nero is an awesome choice.

I have them now. Wish I could afford another set.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:51 PM

Car Info: 2015 SWP WRX
I just put on some Kumho Ectasta AST for this snowboard season and they should get me to the snow just fine. I drove some Falken FK ziex 912 for the last two seasons up to Tahoe and I had no problems with traction. But the only reason I went with AS tires is because I don't have a second set of wheels.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:59 PM

Car Info: 2011 Impreza 2.5i Dark Gray Metallic
Originally Posted by xdeathwishx
Legally speaking, all seasons aren't good enough to avoid having to put on chains unless they're marked MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW on the side wall.
Isn't All-Season tires = Mud and Snow (M+S) tires?

I think you are confused w/ REAL snow tires. This is Snow tires' symbol

Quick Reply: All Seasons or Blizzaks for Tahoe?