All-New Subaru WRX:

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 01:34 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
All-New Subaru WRX:

Just found this. Link back is below....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

After its recently revealed "Motion V" program was announced late last year, Subaru bosses arranged a special briefing for potential investors. At that meeting, senior staffers laid out a road map of what models and new technologies would be unveiled up to 2015.

It started with the all-new Impreza of last year, the BRZ and Forester which will go on sale this year, the Exiga minivan in 2013, the all-new WRX (which will diverge from the Impreza platform) and a brand new sport wagon for 2014, and the all-new Legacy in 2015.
Of note on the technology side is a new direct injection turbocharged engine slated for introduction by the end of this year. And that's just part of Subaru's powertrain plans. According to a source close to Subaru, the company is currently working on a three-stage plan:
  • Stage 1 (completed) - Direct injection 2.0-liter four-cylinder boxer incorporating Toyota's DS-4 technology for the BRZ
  • Stage 2 - Direct injection turbocharged variant of the FA20 2.0-liter
  • Stage 3 - High-powered four-cylinder turbo boxer for the next generation WRX. While the final engine capacity has not been decided yet, the consensus inside
Subaru is leaning towards downsizing and tweaking the BRZ's FA20 2.0-liter unit into a 1.6-liter turbo featuring new lean-burn technology.
This is where the story gets interesting. We hear the turbo destined for production later this year and the one being developed for the WRX are two different beasts. That is to say that the WRX, which is expected to return in three-door hatchback and sedan forms (check out our CG image to see how one artist visualizes the hatch), is rumored to employ a turbo with some form of electric device. This has been a while coming as Subaru took out a patent on an electrically-operated turbo back in 2007.
While the internals are still secret, our source did mention that the new turbo would use heat energy from exhaust gases to generate the necessary electricity. That means that the new turbo will do away with the complicated piping prevalent in current turbos. This new system will generate greatly improved energy efficiency which will in turn basically eradicate turbo lag. Toyota, Nissan, and Mazda have all dabbled with electric turbos, but Subaru could be the first to bring the idea to production.
Whether the WRX will stage a comeback to the WRC is undecided, but Subaru did say that we can expect to see the car in competitive events from road racing to rallying.

All-New Subaru WRX: What to Expect - Motor Trend
Read more: All-New Subaru WRX: What to Expect - Motor Trend
Old 02-07-2012, 02:07 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Looked better when it was the Ford Focus:

just sayin
Old 02-07-2012, 02:10 PM
plays well with others

Also, welcome to yesterday: https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-ar...-hatch-238964/

</***hole>
Old 02-07-2012, 02:18 PM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
double post, but really does resemble the ford. :/
Old 02-07-2012, 02:19 PM
banned

Originally Posted by irrational x
Also, welcome to yesterday: https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-ar...-hatch-238964/

</***hole>
Ahh yeah I just got it in an email about it today. And I do not go outside the BA forum.
Sorry.. I sure there are others in the same boat.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Return of the sport wagon in 2014... hmmmm. That might be perfectly time for me to pick on up. The forester should be paid off around that time. LOL!
Old 02-07-2012, 02:26 PM
banned

Controlled Power Technologies... TIGERS
Turbo info. Seems to be the same stuff the subaru is going to use.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:28 PM
banned

CPT's auto exhaust gas energy recovery system

A lot of energy has traditionally been flushed down the exhaust pipe of the internal combustion engine and it's interesting to see that a number of companies, most notably BMW and Toyota until now, have been working on harvesting that power thanks to the imperatives of the energy crisis. Now Controlled Power Technologies (CPT), best known for its VTES electric supercharger, is working on exhaust gas energy recovery too. CPT estimates it will take five years to bring its research to market.

CPT’s Turbo-generator Integrated Gas Energy Recovery System (TIGERS) uses the same switched reluctance technology as its production-ready VTES electric supercharging and SpeedStart stop-start systems, though both of those systems are developed to the stage of commercialization. CPT estimates it will take five years to bring TIGERS to market.

VIPER research project

TIGERS is now being added to UK’s Technology Strategy Board's “Vehicle Integrated Powertrain Energy Recovery“ (VIPER) research project, run by the UK’s Technology Strategy Board. The VIPER project will build on CPT’s involvement in the Ricardo-led "HyBoost" program, which is similarly part funded by the TSB.

The new VIPER project aims to show how a reduction in CO2 emissions of 4.5 per cent can be achieved over a broad range of vehicles in part by optimizing the control of heat energy from conventional gasoline and diesel engines. The project is being led by Jaguar Land Rover with consortium members including Ford, IAV, BP, University of Nottingham and Imperial College London.

The Technology Strategy Board (TSB) anticipates that VIPER technologies could be applied to the majority of new vehicles before the turn of the decade, though it will be interesting to see what percentage of the vehicles on our roads still contain an internal combustion engine a decade from now.

Several factors are expected decrease supply and increase demand of oil, hence oil prices are almost certain to be astronomically expensive by then thanks to the anticipated growth of car sales in developing superpowers such as China, India, Russia and Brazil.

“The VIPER project builds on our exhaust gas energy recovery work already underway for the HyBoost programme,” says CPT engineering director Guy Morris. “HyBoost also includes our VTES electric supercharger. There’s enormous synergy in the integration of these and other micro-hybrid technologies such as SpeedStart; the mild electrification of gasoline and diesel engines can produce highly efficient vehicles able to achieve significant fuel savings with CO2 emissions of less than 95g/km for the average family saloon.”
Old 02-07-2012, 02:29 PM

Car Info: A Dirty Car

</***hole>
***.hole much? lol chill out, its a forum
Old 02-07-2012, 02:40 PM

Car Info: Ver8 Bugeye
I think that sh*t looks awesome
Old 02-07-2012, 02:41 PM
plays well with others

Originally Posted by Volkey
***.hole much? lol chill out, its a forum
you say it like I was hiding it?

I fully recognize that I am, and always will be, a massive *******
Old 02-07-2012, 02:46 PM

Car Info: A Dirty Car

congrats? and good luck in life?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:59 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT

Originally Posted by Volkey
congrats? and good luck in life?

Old 02-07-2012, 03:07 PM

Car Info: '06 CGM STI
I like it and the Focus RS is not available in the US so...kind of irrelevant.

Needs to be a four-door though. I need my utility with my Subies...
Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by grambo
I like it and the Focus RS is not available in the US so...kind of irrelevant.

Needs to be a four-door though. I need my utility with my Subies...
I believe the other article said there would be both 2 and 4 door variants.

I kinda like it. If they built something kinda like that with the new design language, I might be interested.

Quick Reply: All-New Subaru WRX: