All this food talk, so what is the best SALSA in the bay area?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:42 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Is that some sort of carpentry convention? j/k......

Forgot to mention - my favorite taqueria is in Belmont - "El Metate" on Harbor right at the 101 exit/onramp across the street from Devil's Canyon. They make their own salsa and chips and it's AWESOME. Mix a little of the fresh in with the red hot salsa and get some chips... YOW.
Metate is the bomb.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Yes!! This stuff is awesome, the "Hot" and the "Roasted Chili" are my favs.. My favorite though is home made, but you have to let it sit for a bit...
Yeah, and they used to make a 3 Bean dip that was ridiculously good. I haven't been able to find that stuff in years though

-Brian
Old 10-27-2009, 03:37 AM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru
Store bought: Casa Sanchez

End of discussion.

-Brian
I bought a container of that salsa on Saturday night just to try it out. I bought it from Target and got a bag of their store brand multigrain tortilla chips. That stuff was gone by this morning. That is pretty much the best salsa I've had from a store. I've been craving that salsa ALL DAY.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:28 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Hollandaze
I bought a container of that salsa on Saturday night just to try it out. I bought it from Target and got a bag of their store brand multigrain tortilla chips. That stuff was gone by this morning. That is pretty much the best salsa I've had from a store. I've been craving that salsa ALL DAY.
Oh man at first I thought you said you ate the whole thing in one sitting. Stuff's awesome but you would need a 5-point harness on your toilet after that!
Old 10-27-2009, 11:40 AM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
There's a gas station/taqueria in Redwood City on 5th avenue that's really good... The place is flooded every night with locals..
Old 10-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by brucelee
I've been on a salsa kick lately and have been looking for some good local salsa that I can buy. This thread is going to be about the great bay area salsa bars, restaurants that make their own, AND is going to be about the best store bought stuff as well.

When I say salsa, I'm not talking about Pico Di gallo (which is pretty much diced up veggies, salsa is more of a sauce).

Best fresh salsa:
Mexico Lindo in San Jose, and Union City have GREAT salsa. I always enjoy it the most when I go there.

I might get lynched for this, but as much as Chili's isn't mexican food, their salsa, although not authentic at all, is friggin GREAT!! I can just eat their chips, tortillas and salsa as a meal, easy! Anyone here agree with me? My mexican friends say that Chilis is Texan food, and shouldn't be affiliated with Mexico at all. Still great salsa though!

Best store bought salsa: I don't know what the best store bought salsa is, but I do know that the WORST is PACE. Wow, this is incredibly horrible. Made in NEW YORK CITY?!?!? Get a rope!

Lets hear about some great salsas around here! If you want to add your own recipe, feel free.

My person favs are salsas that are rich in veggies. Not as thick as Pico Di Gallo, but still to have something on your chip every time you dip. Lots of cilantro and peppers too!
La Pinata #1 in hayward off Mission Blvd...

THE BEST...

**** it, we're going tonight...
Old 10-27-2009, 02:57 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Best salsa....

mango salsa at my house
tomato salsa made by my buddy big steve.

haaaaa. If you can call it salsa I like the orange sauce at la vic.

La Pinata in hayward... so good. Hey gagan... you really going tonight??? They still open til like 4am? haaaaa.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:08 AM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
La Pinata #1 in hayward off Mission Blvd...

THE BEST...

**** it, we're going tonight...
Yay! Another vote for La Pinata! That's seriously the best small chain Mexican restaurant in the east bay. Has anyone been to all 3? (Fremont, Hayward, San Leandro) How do they all compare to each other?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:50 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Hollandaze
Yay! Another vote for La Pinata! That's seriously the best small chain Mexican restaurant in the east bay. Has anyone been to all 3? (Fremont, Hayward, San Leandro) How do they all compare to each other?
There's more than 3.

Newark. Off Thornton by the rail road tracks is another one.

Castro Valley.
Alameda
San Leandro

The one in San Leandro is right across the street from the Lost Weekend. Haven't been there in a long time but it used to be one of my favorite joints.