48.78%
Other - Please Describe
0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

To All Catless Downpipe/TBE Owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:07 PM

Car Info: nothing
oh btw i got a ticket in the mail for no front license plate ... it came in the mail the other day god damnit.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by 4eatme
Ok so realistically it looks like to reduce the chances of being pulled over for altered emissions/loud exhaust specifically, I would need a stealth cbe.

So with that being said...glenspen I agree with you... those mods are fine if you aren't going for performance, but otherwise no point in them if you are as they only draw attention.

My front windows are slighty darker than stock, so nothing huge there, I have my front plate, and if I went with...

MY 02 WRX CBE and Helix Catless DP... I'm assuming that would be the safest bet with what I have currently in the garage.
You have an 02 so think about your UP too.. a decent uppipe will reduce a lot of lag and get you more power too, far more important than the CBE, the Bosal is really good.

BTW these stealth CBE like the Borla hush are still as loud as milk and attract unwanted attention.

If you can't stand the thought of random police attention it's hard to beat a fully catless steup with a stock CBE...like I say, you'll lose 10whp on the dyno but you will be removed from a world of pain/state ref tickets.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:17 PM

Car Info: .
Yeah, didn't you just deal with that? How much did you end up paying?
So far nothing. I'm going to court next week, but hopefully it won't be much if anything. The car was smogged and passed, all correctable offenses were corrected and the car is no longer in, or registered in, CA.

The bail is/was $6xx.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:18 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX LTD 4eat
i have to agree with glen. the up pipe will help you and if you really want a tbe a catted downpipe with a borla hush will be the quietest exhaust you can have with a downpipe. but it will still be louder than stock. i think its APS that makes a really stock looking exhaust and its quiet. any catless exhaust will be loud regardless of the catback being quiet
Old 07-10-2009, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by wrxchase
i think its APS that makes a really stock looking exhaust and its quiet. any catless exhaust will be loud regardless of the catback being quiet
I had an APS when I got pulled over. Cops know what cars to look for, they're not that stupid.

You're rolling the dice anyway you slice it, don't fool yourself. Its really a matter of when, not if.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:32 PM

Car Info: bici putas
yeah I welded up a new 3" inlet pipe, for a new t28 turbo, that has ultra conspicuous intercooler piping. I really hope a cop doesn't open my hood when it's up an running it'll be like a pirate opening the treasure chest.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:44 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
So does anybody know the rights as far as a leo popping and checking your engine/setup?

If you are pulled over for a non exhaust related reason (say no front license plate/ tint/ light is out)... can they still inspect under the hood/ car? Say hypothetically the CBE is stock but the DP is not so it doesn't look modded at all.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:48 PM

So does anybody know the rights as far as a leo popping and checking your engine/setup?

Yeah, you have none. They can inspect your car for any reason at anytime.

If you are pulled over for a non exhaust related reason (say no front license plate/ tint/ light is out)... can they still inspect under the hood/ car? Say hypothetically the CBE is stock but the DP is not so it doesn't look modded at all.

Doesn't matter what the cause for stop. If they want to look under your hood they will. Some cops know more about this than others, so you mileage will vary with what happens from there out. But, like I said, you're rolling the dice.
Red.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:59 PM

man...

WHO WANTS A HELIX DP?!

No but seriously, let me know how your court day goes spoolin. Very interested.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:04 AM

Shall do. I have my fingers crossed, but who knows, this state is so backwards I wouldn't be surprised if they increased the fine.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:06 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
I will finally admit, it is risky. I ran catless for nearly four years, two years in my wrx wagon and two in my STi. Classic case of "It will never happen to me" .... but it finally happened a few months ago and my STi looks stock. I ended up just paying the $400 fine I cant go back to stock and then put everything back on. If I go back to stock I'll sell the car.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by subie OCD
I will finally admit, it is risky. I ran catless for nearly four years, two years in my wrx wagon and two in my STi. I never thought I would get busted.... but it finally happened a few months ago. I ended up just paying the $400 fine
You didn't go to court? Did you go to the ref and get it smogged?
Old 07-11-2009, 12:08 AM

I will finally admit, it is risky. I ran catless for nearly four years, two years in my wrx wagon and two in my STi. I never thought I would get busted.... but it finally happened a few months ago. I ended up just paying the $400 fine
Yikes... Probably a PITA the whole procedure is I'm sure, plus the money on top of all the wasted time.

What setup were you running when you got tagged?
Old 07-11-2009, 12:16 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
You didn't go to court? Did you go to the ref and get it smogged?
Ugh.... no I got the paper work in the mail to contest the ticket via trial by declaration and I had to respond with my written statement by 6/1/2009 but stupid me thought it was 6/11/2009 so I missed the deadline. I was pretty bummed. I paid the $436 fine instead of going to the Ref.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:17 AM

Ugh.... no I got the paper work in the mail to contest the ticket via trial by declaration and I had to respond with my written statement by 6/1/2009 but stupid me thought it was 6/11/2009 so I missed the deadline. I was pretty bummed. I paid the $436 fine instead of going to the Ref.
Sucks. My friend in NV says he'd take a weekend in jail before paying that kind of fine for an equipment violation.

Quick Reply: To All Catless Downpipe/TBE Owners