And it all begins... (car profiling by law enforcement)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 11:48 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
okay, there is no point to this. im done.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:55 AM

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX, 2012 OBP STi wagon
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I'm gonna say something more here in dealing with the recent posts.

The only reason I came down on shadow at all is because he has been a smart *** and made quite a few remarks toward people. It's one thing to attack the view another to attack the person. It turned into a big cluster**** of people attacking people. I personally don't agree with his opinion. Doesn't mean I don't like him. I don't agree with his opinion or the way he ORIGINALLY expressed it. With the recent posts it makes much more sense.
You know, I'm not upset for your post. After I responded to you, it made me realize that the snarky comments I was using to provoke a debate were being read as insulting. Those were tame, but people have different perceptions, so I toned it down. However, some people chose to escalate, so I used their own words against them. If you notice, I didn't do alot of insulting after that last massive post, except to people who specifically attacked me. And if you also notice, I kept it as civil as I could. I made no threats. I called no one names (just insulted their method of debate and let their own posts do that for me ). So I'm at fault for attempting to get some exchange going by insulting people. It's a lower form of debate that I don't normally engage in, but no one was stepping up to the plate to give an accurate representation of their side, so I had to do something... my bad. Thanks for calling me out on it.

If you want things to change start going after the major parts companies and getting them to do C.A.R.B. legal parts. It's really not hard with a lot of different parts. The honda world has done it and you can build a half way decent car with C.A.R.B. parts. The illegal internal stuff they can't see anyways. I had my old civic like that for a while. Passed the state ref with headwork, cam, cam gear, etc. even had several C.A.R.B. cert parts on like intake, headers, exhaust. Try that with a wrx and your ****ed cause there are no C.A.R.B. legal parts.
See, this as sticking point with me. WHY CAN'T the Subaru community DO THIS!? Instead of *****ing about the boys in blue doing their jobs and enforcing the laws THEY DIDN'T WRITE, instead of complaining about "BS" laws that work against what you want to do, work within the system! Can only use CARB legal parts? Okay, lobby the manufacturers to get their stuff CARB certified or design stuff that meets CARB. Sure, you won't get the fastest parts for street-legal use, but... YOU WON'T BE ILLEGAL, now will you? Money talks.. if a manufacturer makes CARB legal stuff and sells them at a good price, they get more business, so other manufacturers will try to get that business back by making their own CARB certified parts, and the cycle goes... see, it's not that hard if you think long term. All of this whining about short term, inconsequential actions does nothing for the long term.

As I like to say, if you don't like the problem, FIND A SOLUTION, don't just complain about it. Complaining does nothing for anybody except tick other people off (either those that agree with you or those that don't).

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, as long as they have a position that they have thought about. I respect that. What I don't respect is "reactionary crap" that has all emotional response and very little thought behind it... it's sheep and lemmings like that who I can't respect. It's okay to have a differing opinion, as long as it's YOUR OWN, that YOU CAME TO, after looking at all the points for and against. See, I'm not afraid to have an unpopular opinion, because I know it's MINE.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:58 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
true that. agreed.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:20 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Kostamojen. what is wrong with making your car different than every other car on the road?
Nothing is wrong with that, unless you customize it against current laws and try to get away with it and dont then complain about not getting away with it...
Old 06-14-2006, 01:45 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX, 2012 OBP STi wagon
yes.. there is absolutely nothing wrong with modding one's car.. as long as one is willing to pay the price for it. If one chooses to run street-illegal mods and get caught, then own up to the choice and pay the price for it. As I've heard said before "anything is okay, if you're willing to pay for it." put another way "you pay to play." It's a choice to mod one's car any way desired, but own up to the mods and pay the piper if caught. Consider it the price of admission for taking the gamble/risk of having the mods in the first place. It's part of being personally responsible for one's actions.

Last edited by shadowcat; 06-14-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:40 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
I was just wondering if you guys get messed with alot because I think that my WRX is a very low-profile car being that it is a four door sedan even with a straight through exhaust and HKS ssq i dont think it gets noticed at all
Old 06-14-2006, 03:45 PM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si
Originally Posted by tfcandelario
I was just wondering if you guys get messed with alot because I think that my WRX is a very low-profile car being that it is a four door sedan even with a straight through exhaust and HKS ssq i dont think it gets noticed at all

The CHP knows the car. They know what we've done to it or can do to it and they know what it can do. I've spoken to several of them that come to our office and they just don't pull you over without cause. So put on that front plate and don't provoke them.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:53 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by -j-
The CHP knows the car. They know what we've done to it or can do to it and they know what it can do. I've spoken to several of them that come to our office and they just don't pull you over without cause. So put on that front plate and don't provoke them.
I find lately that the chp are easier to deal with than city cops and coming from a city cops mouth a lot of it is because they actually don't want to deal with writing tickets and pulling people over "looking" modded but they are told they have to. They feel like they have better things to do and I agree. These guys didn't sign up to write tickets all day.

Shoot I got nailed by a CHP not to long ago and he ran me up on 4 violations....but he did not ask me to pop my hood and he did not write me up for my exhaust. Both of which I was surprised because he was right behind me at WOT. I know he heard it and he even said that I took off like a bat out of hell. Well...he actually said....you really kicked it in the ***. He was actually very cool and treated me with the utmost respect as I did the same to him. I didn't say a word when he tagged me for no front plate cause I knew it would happen sooner or later. Had the car since 03' with no plate.

some chp are aware and some are not. just like some city police are and some are not. I know a couple of police officers that ARE tuners and car enthusiasts. I've actually had a couple come up and talk to me at coffee shops about it.

For the most part I don't blame the cops for this. They're good people doing what they're told...but there are some major *** holes out there that actually get a kick out of ringing people up for every possible thing they can find and will pull you over just for looking at them funny or looking like you MIGHT be illegal. like rosetti in fremont...he freakin wrote my buddy up for no front plate and for being too low..in a 1963 bel air. WTF.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Ray, your just an F'n trouble maker. Always out lookin to stir *hit. If I were a cop I'd pull you 'cause you fit the trouble maker profile.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:04 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by ipozestu
Ray, your just an F'n trouble maker. Always out lookin to stir *hit. If I were a cop I'd pull you 'cause you fit the trouble maker profile.
haaaaa. you got me pegged on that one...lol.

I kinda did stir up some **** a weee bit on our way home last weekend....my bad. Guy was riding my *** for like 10 miles.

if i were a cop i'd pull you over for wearing that silly hat.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
if i were a cop i'd pull you over for wearing that silly hat.
The hat and glasses disguise me from profiling cops. You just don't get it, do you. If you saw a guy driving around with that hat on, do you think he'd be up to anything? Ahhhh, lessons, you must learn young padawan. Booyashaka
Old 06-14-2006, 07:26 PM

Car Info: 2004 USDM STI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE6JY...din%27%20dirty
Old 06-14-2006, 08:41 PM

Car Info: Black Car
I think the difference between this kind of profiling and others is that several people here (except for maybe the STi owners) WILLINGLY group themselves with the profiled. It is your choice to run catless, as well as your choice to do whatever you want with your car. If your car is perfectly legal, then HEY! Your car is perfectly legal. I'm glad that a lot of the issues are seemingly resolved, at least the flaming, but this is still a significant debate.

I personally think I fit the profile of a ricer and like some of us here, we accept it. We accept the risks we take when we put on our loud catless exhaust as well as our novelty shocker stickers. I know some of us like to stand out, but it's not the cop's fault we're getting pulled over per say. Its our fault for driving a car which says, "Hey, I'm a ricer. Pull me over!"

And I've gotten lucky...I've gotten pulled over for speeding (85 on 280S *shrug*) and the officer actually complimented my car--then proceeded to give me my ticket.

There are many arguments that one can supply to why this is wrong: profiling, discrimination, blah blah blah. But I actually think that it's not as BIG as it seems. There aren't people being pulled over left and right and its not just all ricers. Driving on the freeway, I'm sure you all see a VARIETY of cars being pulled over and seldom see nice clean well-done "tuner" cars on the side of the road.

Excuse the ranting, but I don't believe that there is any excuse for getting pulled over if your car fits the extreme ricer profile. The arguments against it are pretty weak and hey...don't say the CHP has anything better to do. Their job is to patrol the highways and they ARE (usually) doing their jobs, last I checked. Heck, we're lucky some of them cut slack and don't pull over EVERYONE driving over the speed limit making tiny driving errors.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:31 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
Talking Uneducated cops

My friend got pulled over in his 300zx cop pulled him over made him pop his hood
after looking under it for a moment the cop proclaimed "there it is four into one" some funny **** considering its a V6
Old 06-15-2006, 12:01 AM

Car Info: 04 STI
My friend got pulled over in his pretty stock FC (coilovers and R32 wheels).

He's the slowest around the town driver I know. The cop said he had his foglights on! My friend asked him if he was actually serious. The cop told him that it was because of the sideshow stuff, so he needed to only use them in the fog (they are stock foglights). Really wierd and almost laughable. I would think that it was some kind of joke the cop was playing on me.

This was in Alameda.

Quick Reply: And it all begins... (car profiling by law enforcement)