And it all begins... (car profiling by law enforcement)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 02:25 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by jdepould
Anybody know how many cars they planning on wrecking? Obviously there are some crashes that were scripted.

On another note, I've seen a lot of black and white Crown Victorias with obnoxious lighting and stickers lately, maybe they should get pulled over and have their hoods popped.
Originally Posted by excel
you should know there is alot of purposely done crash scenes in the movie, so I wouldn't say 100 cars got crashed by Rhys Millen and his dad, along with many other incredible drivers.
Yes, there are scripted crashes, some are even in the trailors. However, I don't think they needed to destroy 100 cars to get the effect they needed. Everyone screws up sometimes, we're human.

Originally Posted by tfcandelario
Whats funny is that movie doesnt even take place in the United States. If anything Japans police force should be gearing up not San Mateo's or any other peninsula police force.
Actually some parts of the movie did take place in the United States. In fact, one of the scenes was shot right next to where my sister used to work. We just happened to be in her office when they were filming. Also, with the effect the movie will have on the ricers in all of California, I wouldn't be surprised if all of California started cracking down more for the next few months. Drivers in Japan, can DRIVE, unlike MOST people here. I admit, I'm sure I would not be able to pass Japanese standards of knowing how to drive a car. So, it'd be a lot safer there even if they were messing around with their cars.

Oh yeah, when we were leaving, I guess a Lotus was late, because we saw a riced out (read: exterior modded to fit the movie) flying by going towards the set.

Last edited by STi-owns-evo; 06-13-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:44 PM

Car Info: 04 2.5rs san remo red, stock
he acts like baic enemy #1. [Shadowcat]

this thread comes out, and all of us with modded cars (not me, im stock ) are saying how its unfair to target us for legal mods just because we fit the profile of a street racer. If they caught us speeding or racing then i could understand. But, if they see us at a meet just standing by our subies, do they have a reason to ask us whats under the hood?

yeah. its going to be funny after you do all this arguing, and you get pulled over.

and once again, im going to say, they switch from sideshows to street racing. different crowds, different things

Last edited by DrewP; 06-13-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:54 PM

Car Info: WRX STi
Originally Posted by DrewP
if they see us at a meet just standing by our subies, do they have a reason to ask us whats under the hood?

Does anyone know the answer to this?? Say a bunch of cops come into the Mt. Hammy car park and start asking to look under hoods??? where does the law stand on this?
Old 06-13-2006, 03:12 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by mudman
Does anyone know the answer to this?? Say a bunch of cops come into the Mt. Hammy car park and start asking to look under hoods??? where does the law stand on this?
me personally.....I am a paid attendant of the park. My car is parked. I'd tell him I don't know whose car that is.

Other than that I'd refuse. my motor is stock so I really have nothing to fear but on principle alone I'd say no. he has no probably cause to do a search of my vehicle as I am doing nothing illegal. If he wanted to force me and threaten arrest then we'd duke it out in court. **** that.

I pay my taxes. I abide by moral code, the 10 commandments and the constitution. he wants to **** with my rights I'll **** with his job.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 8 (7 members and 1 guests)
ipozestu, BOOOST4, davisSTI, gh0st shad0w, tfcandelario, tigsterz, x002x
Popular thread
Old 06-13-2006, 03:55 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX

Unreasonable (Illegal) search and seizure

d.1- search of an individual or his/her premises (including an automobile) and/or seizure of evidence found in such a search by a law enforcement officer without a search warrant and without "probable cause" (if car is parked there is no probable cause) to believe evidence of a crime is present. Such a search and/or seizure is unconstitutional under the 4th Amendment (applied to the states by the 14th Amendment), and evidence obtained thereby may not be introduced in court.

"probable cause"

d.1 sufficient reason based upon known facts to believe a crime has been committed or that certain property is connected with a crime. Probable cause must exist for a law enforcement officer to make an arrest without a warrant, search without a warrant (this is our primary concern), or seize property in the belief the items were evidence of a crime. While some cases are easy (pistols and illicit drugs in plain sight, gunshots, a suspect running from a liquor store with a clerk screaming "help"), actions "typical" of drug dealers, burglars, prostitutes, thieves, or people with guilt "written across their faces," are more difficult to categorize. "Probable cause" is often subjective (Subjective is a Key Word), but if the police officer's belief or even hunch was correct, finding stolen goods, the hidden weapon or drugs may be claimed as self-fulfilling proof of probable cause.

Technically, probable cause has to exist prior to arrest, search (this is what we are concerned with), or seizure.

IF you have ARB certified parts they can do nothing - sidenote -
Old 06-13-2006, 04:05 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
In theory, I think people should be judged by their actions and not based on their appearance. We all probably agree w/ this.

But we all know that identifying patterns, though not perfect, is a tool we all use as human beings. The best detectives are the one who recognize patterns others don't see.

That article is disturbing because it potentially affects me. I've got my share of mods on my suby but I would trade it in for a sportcar w/ 100% legal components that matches it's performance....but i ain't got that kind of money, and may never have.

MAking a fuzz in this forum won't amount to much. I would appreciate others here sharing their experiences w/ local "harrassment-type" of activities just for the "heads up".
Old 06-13-2006, 04:07 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI CGM
Hey Shadow where did you go?

So if people are getting pulled over this should be public enemy numero uno....

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...light=millbrae

hecka quick dood
Old 06-13-2006, 04:32 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX, 2012 OBP STi wagon
as I suspected.... I leave for a few hours and come back to the same basic reactionary crap...

the majority of you are up in arms because of some perceived slight to your "rights".... sorry... show me where your rights are being violated... there are just too many irrelevent/inconsistent/incorrect suppositions in this thread for me to bother answering all of them, so I'll deal with the ones that are most relevent:

Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Thats exactly my point.....they do nothing but IMPLY.....that doesnt mean there really is anything illegal, yet you'll still get busted because of an implication with nothing to back it up. If you got pulled over for one of these "Non-illegal" mods, like a factory STI wing, or low profile tires, and the cop actually found that you had a full non-compliant motor swap, or modified emissions, then yea, you get a ticket and deserve it. But if you get pulled over because the cop sees a car with a wing, and low profile tires, yet he doesnt find anything else "Illegal" with the car (if he even looks that is), chances are he will STILL give you a ticket for SOMETHING, in this case, street racing....just because you "fit a profile." I know plenty of people that this has happened to (with stock STi's in this case).
wrong. If you did nothing wrong, and all your mods are legit, you get no ticket. Did he witness you streetracing? No. Did he witness you doing anything illegal? No. Therefore, no ticket. He has probable cause to pull you over (obvious mods), but beyond that, that's all he has. If he can't find anything that sticks, then all he's done is wasted your time and his.

Here's a great example....back in the days of Christopher Columbus people thought the world was flat.....why? because when they looked out at the horizon it looked flat. Does that mean the world really was flat? No, its a sphere (obviously). Here's the point, it was implied or assumed that the world was flat, because people could clearly see the flat horizon.

SO, just because a cop can clearly see my aftermarket rims, and factory wing, he's implying/assuming I am a street racer based on what he sees from afar, without doing any further investigation or research, and is going to ticket you reguardless. In otherwords, he's falsly accusing you of doing something you never did based on how your car looks.

-Ted

SO wrong. You have very little understanding of the law, and what it takes to get a ticket or even stop a person. He doesn't assume ANYTHING. He pulls you over because of a profile, but there is no assumption of guilt. He is pulling you over to FURTHER INVESTIGATE. .. and your example has absolutely NO bearing on this.. it's .. not even relevent. He can't pull you over unless he has a legal reason to (probably cause). He can't even SEARCH your vehicle unless 1) you consent) or 2) in the case of a TERRY STOP, where a crime has been committed. See... you guys are all up in arms about this, yet all you do is complain, when you should be arming yourselves with knowledge to keep yourself safe.

Originally Posted by MVWRX
Oh...you mean assembling peacfully? Like the constitution says we all have the right to do? Yeah...I guess the cops should look out for that...

Look, I know you go to meets from time to time. So can't you see that innocent and fun meets fit this rediculous profiling scheme?
*sigh*... they aren't interfering with your right to peaceably assemble. You can assemble all you want, so long as you follow the laws of the municipality you are in. Technically, what they can get you for is LOITERING.

Originally Posted by SUBY_6_STI
Hey Shadow.... Have you been pulled over for your car? Have you had to pop your hood and trunk? Have you had to stand outside your car for 30 min while a dumbass cop tries to differentiate what is stock and not stock? Its a very less than pleasent experience.
Yes, I have.... and I had no problem with it. You know why? Because I was legit. Because it was during an evening when a black WRX that matched my car was involved in a crime. Did I have a problem with the officer pulling me over, checking my ID, then checking out my car? Not if it proved my innocence. You know what the officer did after that half hour of wasted time? He apologized, explained the situation, asked me to "be safe out there" and let me go. What did I lose? Certainly didn't get any rights violated. I refused when he asked to pop my trunk and hood at first. He explained was to ensure that I wasn't the person they were looking for, so I popped the trunk and hood. He saw the blue hoses leading to my turbo controller and turbo timer, and BECAUSE I WAS COOPERATIVE, didn't hassle me. Could I have gotten a ticket for the EBC? Probably. Did I? No. He was wrong, he admitted it, he apologized, he was civil because I was civil.

Hell, I'VE been paced by a cop on 280 going 80, and he didn't even pull me over... he went for the black Benz that was going 85. *shrug*.

Oh.. and before anyone gets up in arms about this even more... *I* was the one that started the Eggettes meets in South City. I was one of the founders of the DCKK meet. I was one of the founders of the DCMP meets. I'm not against meets... I just don't see the fuss about this.

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I've got one. California needs to stop paying law makers year round saleries. They like they're high 6 digit saleries so they continually make useless or of little use laws to keep their jobs and look like they're doing something. This in turn overloads our police force with crap they just can't enforce and distracts them from things that actually need addressing.

Things like our murder and violent crime rates. That cop that's busy around the corner popping someones hood for driving the speed limit and looking like a streetracer isn't paying much attention to the guy that's running down the street after just smacking someone skull in with a bat.

So instead of spending time and money solving murders and stopping violent crimes by actually SERVING AND PROTECTING they are busy writing tickets that they don't have any proof of wrong doing and pulling people over for having a loud exhaust god forbid. Which of these is really a threat to society.

you do a lot of tossing **** around. knocking people down and just attacking people. It's funny because if I'm getting what you're saying right you get your information second hand from "cops" and "mps" that you know and your only direct affiliation is that you are or were in the reserves? Funny that my little brother that is in the reserves and is an mp doesn't talk like that....though he does tend to talk out his *** every now and again...specially after a drill. And funny that I don't really talk like that even though I know a boat load of police all over the country and am related to shoot like 6 of them.

I personally see cell phones, face shields, poorly educated drivers, lacking drivers tests, no vehicle safety regulation tests, people driving 15mph under the speedlimit, trucks dropping **** all over the road, poorly maintained roads, etc. as all much more dangerous to daily driving than speeding or LOOKING like you speed or meeting in front of the donut shop talking **** and LOOKING like you might just go race. Tell you what.....go catch me racing then write me a ticket and treat me like ****. Don't pull me over while going 70mph and getting passed by buses and minivans and treat me like I'm an ******* street racer and a threat to your very existance.
Oh, I don't even know where to begin with this one. I never claimed to be a cop. I just asked them. I never claimed to be anything that anyone assumes in this thread (not a cop, not a lawyer, not a snitch, not anything). Yes, there are other issues that one can get all raged up about. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM. You guys are blowing this way out of proportion. My whole point has been.. "why are you guys calling this bull****? It's NOTHING." NOTE that I didn't say GOOD FOR THEM. What I said was "this is nothing, it's well within the law to do it, and it's easy enough to avoid by NOT DRIVING THERE." See.. I suggested something that was immediately doable, practical, and does not take much effort.

As for your "recommended solution"... it's neither practical, workable, nor relevent. Stick to the issue at hand. Refusing to pay lawmakers a yearly salary, while VERY appealing, just can't be implemented. Instead of the pipedream you suggested, suggest a REAL WORKABLE ALTERNATIVE to the preceived issue you so vehemently argue against.

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
Hey guys... instead of blaming the cops, blame the media *cough* F&F *cough* Because seriously, the only reason why they're increasing the crack down is because of the new movie's attention.

Put yourselves in the general public's shoes. A normal person, who is incompetent about performance cars, sees trailors and ads for movies such as F&F. Next, they see similar looking outrageous cars on the street. Due to their incompetence they try and put 1 + 1 together. What do they get? Targeting cars who seem like they will try and mimic, copy, perform anything in the movie. We all know how there are millions of idiots who will try and copy all the dumb **** done in the movie.

Look here: https://www.i-club.com/forums/rife-plazapalooza-151/fast-fobolous-3-a-137088/
"Over 100 cars were destroyed/wrecked during the filming of this movie." If professional drivers who drift for a living (pro drifters and rally drivers) took out that many cars, obviously any dumbass who tries to replicate it will probably do some dumb **** and put the general public at risk.

You guys can ***** and moan at the cops, yet it's not because of the cops that performance cars are getting targeted. How about you guys attack the source instead of the messanger?
FINALLY a voice of reason. It's not the cops' fault. Don't ***** at them about it. As a biker and WRX driver, I know how bad the cops can get... yet I have never gotten into an encounter with a cop that I couldn't reason my way out of, or stay civil DESPITE being given a ticket. They are doing a tough job that NO ONE APPRECIATES THEM FOR. Sorry, but I back the guys in blue. If I get a ticket because I was wrong, well, that's my RESPONSIBILITY, and I own up to it. You pay to play, remember?

Originally Posted by hatchy
Shadowcat is right. It is the law. Cops are just enforcing the law. The Germany SS were just enforcing the law, too, when they killed a few Jews back in the late 30s and early 40s. They were just doing their job, mindlessly following the orders from their insane superiors. If there was an i-club back then, Shadowcat would have said: Stop bitc*ing and move out of Europe, if you don't like being gassed, burned alive, or used as lab mice. Or stop looking like a Jew.
SO not relevent, apropos, or even in the same league. The COPS follow the LAW that your representatives that you voted for (you DID vote, right? if not, you have no reason to *****) passed in lawful session. What the SS did was not enforcing a "law," it was a serious violation of international law. If you think the two are equal, you need some help in intelligent reasoning. Nice try with the emotional "let's use the **** SS comparison" thing.

Originally Posted by RallyWagon
Don't you just LOVE profiling ... my little Honda Civic Wagon was covered in stickers and decals (sponsors, race & rallye events); larger exhaust; after market rims and larger tires. Plus all the goodies under the hood from the engine swap etc. Never got pulled over or ticketed for anything ... except for speeding! Gotta laugh. That's why I'll be replacing it with another sleeper.
heheh, see... people getting in a tizzy over NOTHING.

technically (and it depends on municipality), yes, they can, if only for loitering, but again, the statutes are different in different municipalities, so some places they allow search, others all they can do is give you a warning and force you to disband. It also depends on if it is public land or a private lot, as different rules apply. On private land, technically, they can't force you to show anything, unless the property owner requests that they vacate you from the premesis, and then they can nail you for trespassing, and with that violation, they can request a search. See, knowing about search and siezure laws can keep you out of trouble.

which brings me to this gem of a post:

Originally Posted by tfcandelario
Unreasonable (Illegal) search and seizure

d.1- search of an individual or his/her premises (including an automobile) and/or seizure of evidence found in such a search by a law enforcement officer without a search warrant and without "probable cause" (if car is parked there is no probable cause) to believe evidence of a crime is present. Such a search and/or seizure is unconstitutional under the 4th Amendment (applied to the states by the 14th Amendment), and evidence obtained thereby may not be introduced in court.

"probable cause"

d.1 sufficient reason based upon known facts to believe a crime has been committed or that certain property is connected with a crime. Probable cause must exist for a law enforcement officer to make an arrest without a warrant, search without a warrant (this is our primary concern), or seize property in the belief the items were evidence of a crime. While some cases are easy (pistols and illicit drugs in plain sight, gunshots, a suspect running from a liquor store with a clerk screaming "help"), actions "typical" of drug dealers, burglars, prostitutes, thieves, or people with guilt "written across their faces," are more difficult to categorize. "Probable cause" is often subjective (Subjective is a Key Word), but if the police officer's belief or even hunch was correct, finding stolen goods, the hidden weapon or drugs may be claimed as self-fulfilling proof of probable cause.

Technically, probable cause has to exist prior to arrest, search (this is what we are concerned with), or seizure.

IF you have ARB certified parts they can do nothing - sidenote -
nice, succint, to the point. If you have no illegal, non-CARB mods on your STREET VEHICLE, then there is no cause for concern. Anything on your vehicle that has a "for offroad use only" disclaimer from the manufacturer CAN BE grounds for a citation, referral, what have you.

So what do you do to prevent from getting searched? Keep a low profile, do nothing that would get you lumped in as a "street racer," or don't do anything that could get you pulled over. My car and my bike are both not stock, and don't look it, yet I have no problems driving by cops or CHP, because I don't stand out. I try not to do anything to attract unwanted pigtails. Can't always avoid the cops, but decreasing your visibility on their radar helps a ton. So does common courtesy.

Hell, it's easy enough to drive a little farther and bypass millbrea/burlingame/san mateo.

What we have here is a difference of opinion. Leave it at that. You can complain all you want, call me whatever you want, and it won't make a whit of difference, to me, my opinions, or my good night's sleep....as I said, if you want to discuss this, I will be at Eggettes tomorrow. Feel free to drop by and we can continue this discussion, but as it stands, I'm done with this thread. It has used up more time than I was willing to give it, I've said all I needed to say, and you guys need to be more productive than whining about this triviality on the forums... because it really IS trivial.

Last edited by shadowcat; 06-13-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:09 PM

You know... after all this, I realized I was going about this the wrong way.

One of you, I don't care who, explain WHY this is BS, why it's a bad move/illegal/what have you. I don't want to see reactionary crap. I want to see a well thought out, well REASONED explanation that outlines your stance as to why you are against this action. Bonus points if 1) you voted, 2) you live in the area, and 3) you are a property owner or in some way pay taxes (income tax, etc.) to one of the involved municipalities. Convince the skeptic (me) that your view is correct.

While I don't agree with it fully, I not exactly against it either. To me, it's a minor nuisance, nothing more.

Last edited by shadowcat; 06-13-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:46 PM

Car Info: JCW CooperS 05
Here is some more "reactionary crap" for ShadowCrap __|__

Shadowcat please justify how my tax dollars are better spent having San Mateo County assemble a Task Force to hand out tickets on hooked up cars. Please tell me that our good hard earned money couldnt go towards something better in the state, rather than wasting their time handing out tickets for chrome muffler tips and lowered cars. My sister is a school teacher in california Im sure they could use the money for their programs instead of 10 pigs sitting at In Out burger every Friday and Saturday night. If you arent a law office then you are surely feeding them info...

I personally would like to nominate ShadowCat for the biggest Douche of the Universe Award. Wow you are such a genious and you have so much insight into our pysches.... God you are freakin BRILLIANT!!!

I would advise everyone to not show up at Eggette's, my guess he will site you with a ticket because you broke the law by putting an intake on your automobile.... No no no, because you have a 40 series tire on some 17's....

ShadowCat you really are a true Number 11 __| __ __|__
Old 06-13-2006, 06:15 PM

Car Info: 2004 USDM STI
Shadowcat has obviously never been stopped, given a bull**** ticket and sent to the ref for stock parts. Your experience with cops differs from other peoples, but instead of listening, you side with the cops and assign blame to the tax payers. It must be nice to live on your world.

PS: I'll give you 2 points of you can stop sucking cop **** for a day, and a bonus point if will just STFU. TIA!
Old 06-13-2006, 06:25 PM

wow... that was .. brilliant ... what a wonderfully illustrative response that shows comprehension of the words "well thought out, well REASONED explanation that outlines your stance as to why you are against this action." where to begin...

Originally Posted by JCW_CS_05
Here is some more "reactionary crap" for ShadowCrap __|__

Shadowcat please justify how my tax dollars are better spent having San Mateo County assemble a Task Force to hand out tickets on hooked up cars.
Why would I have to justify it? I didn't order it, I wasn't behind it, and I certainly don't mind.

First of all, do you live in San Mateo? Are you a property owner? Do your taxes pay for this? If so, then let me explain how it's better. 1) increased property value begets more equity on the home you own, through reduced traffic of what is viewed as lower class/lower quality individuals in your neighborhood, which is money in your pocket, 2) increased revenue from the tickets, and 3) less ricers on the street, yadda yadda yadda.

but if you were thinking about it, you would have figured some of that out... so obviously, you aren't thinking about it. Remember, there's more to life than what YOU want.

Please tell me that our good hard earned money couldnt go towards something better in the state, rather than wasting their time handing out tickets for chrome muffler tips and lowered cars.
Did you vote? If yes, then you can complain to the people you voted for who put into place the budget. If not, then you have no right to complain. In either case, the people you should be asking the question from are your elected officials, not I. Last I checked, I already justified why I think this is a trivial nuisance at best. YOU are supposed to provide reasons why this is BS. I'm not going to argue your point for you.

My sister is a school teacher in california Im sure they could use the money for their programs instead of 10 pigs sitting at In Out burger every Friday and Saturday night.
and my sister-in-law is a HS teacher in Daly City... your point? As I said, BLAME YOUR POLITICIANS. you vote for them (or your LACK of voting) is the cause here.

As for "pigs" sitting at IN & Out burger, last I checked, cops were allowed a lunch/dinner break, and I don't begrudge them taking what time they need to be alert/aware/ready to do their jobs. Sure, it's okay to call them pigs when it suits you, but when you need a cop, are you going to call them pigs then? Hypocrisy comes in all forms

If you arent a law office then you are surely feeding them info...
Keep assuming if it makes you feel better. I'm not involved in any way with law enforcement in my civilian life.

I personally would like to nominate ShadowCat for the biggest Douche of the Universe Award. Wow you are such a genious and you have so much insight into our pysches.... God you are freakin BRILLIANT!!!
wow... just .. wow.. because you lack the emotional detachment, verbal skills, or reasoning ability to spar with me in a spirited debate, you resort to name calling. wow... that was so 5th grade. come back when you grow up.

I would advise everyone to not show up at Eggette's, my guess he will site you with a ticket because you broke the law by putting an intake on your automobile.... No no no, because you have a 40 series tire on some 17's....
uhm... let's see...

it won't break my heart if you dont' show up at the meet. It's no sweat off my *****, and I prefer to associate with people who have a clue. .. and my ability to "cite" people for vehicular infractions is nonexistent, as I am not associated with any civilian law enforcement agency except by some acquaintences who are cops.

ShadowCat you really are a true Number 11 __| __ __|__
and you can come back when you have learned how to have an intelligent discourse, because it's no fun having a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by hatchy
Shadowcat has obviously never been stopped, given a bull**** ticket and sent to the ref for stock parts. Your experience with cops differs from other peoples, but instead of listening, you side with the cops and assign blame to the tax payers. It must be nice to live on your world.

PS: I'll give you 2 points of you can stop sucking cop **** for a day, and a bonus point if will just STFU. TIA!
more comedy gold... seriously, that's the best you can do? any response so typical as this will be responded with the mockery and condescension it deserves.

Last edited by shadowcat; 06-13-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:33 PM

Car Info: 2004 USDM STI
Originally Posted by shadowcat
more comedy gold... seriously, that's the best you can do? any response so typical as this will be responded with the mockery and condescension it deserves.
No points for you!

Quick Reply: And it all begins... (car profiling by law enforcement)