Alameda Firefighters & Cops watch dude drown!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 01:14 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by iLoqin

Huge TIP: Don't INTENTIONALLY drown in the bay area, cuz officers & firefighters won't save your ***.
Fixed for accuracy
Old 06-02-2011, 01:43 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Fixed for accuracy
actually it was right the way it was posted before. suicide or not they will not help you if its in the water.

brb taking my 1hr lunch break early so i can save someone.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:54 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by dub599
i dont see why people are so upset. the guy went there with the purpose of committing suicide. **** him let him die. im more upset they had multiple officers and firemen standing there getting paid with tax dollars to do nothing but stand around.
**** or get off the can.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:02 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Too shallow for coastguard to get close enough... that is why they didn't do anything...

However, after the dude went unconscious... you'd figure some folks might grab him then, since he won't try to kill you.

It's cool how we boast about heroes and a lot of movies and things are based on them. But there was zero citizens of America there.

AND OF COURSE they're going to blame budget cuts. I bet their captain or some dude up on top of administration said "no one do anything, we are not liable and blame the budget cuts for not being trained."
All of these guys don't want to get hurt, leech off the system and work the system for high pay.

I guess I expect more from American Citizens... but then again adding American to the phrase is ironic to the situation. I'm expecting some good out of people, but man it looks like evil > good and it's still going on a bullet train to worse.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:23 PM

Car Info: 2004 USDM STI
Protect and Serve... unless prohibited by policy, or someone else's job.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:12 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Ok so the guy was committing suicide.

But the policy clearly was that if a "child was drowning" the policy was not to save the child.

Something is wrong there.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:17 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by chimchimm5

But the policy clearly was that if a "child was drowning" the policy was not to save the child.

Bingo!
And that's why every swinging dick in management needs to be fired.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by chimchimm5

its really not because if youre not trained to do so, you can get sued easily. a lot of depts have cut back on their extra resources such as this incident. plus would you risk your life for a person who may possibly kill themselves and you in the process? oh on top you dont know how to rescue in water.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
If what the chief said was true, the policy is indeed very poor and it's a good thing that it was changed after this incident (read the article if you missed that part).

However, for anyone that's getting their panties in a bunch over the circumstances of the incident itself , it shows that they've never worked in emergency rescue services before. If a victim is combative or presents a risk to first response workers, it's foolish to risk the health and lives of the rescuers themselves (let alone the threat of a lawsuit if the rescue is botched due to an uncooperative victim). Talking out your *** about how "cowardly" first response workers are is just moronic as hell.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:46 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX Sedan
wow all the i-clubbers just went up a notch in my book. great response to this. +1 code3suby.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
If what the chief said was true, the policy is indeed very poor and it's a good thing that it was changed after this incident (read the article if you missed that part).

However, for anyone that's getting their panties in a bunch over the circumstances of the incident itself , it shows that they've never worked in emergency rescue services before. If a victim is combative or presents a risk to first response workers, it's foolish to risk the health and lives of the rescuers themselves (let alone the threat of a lawsuit if the rescue is botched due to an uncooperative victim). Talking out your *** about how "cowardly" first response workers are is just moronic as hell.
thank you ryan yes, i was on a call with a drunk homeless and they guy was fighting us pretty badly so the sheriff stepped in and said sir you are causing this to become police related etc, he spat on the cop...
Old 06-02-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by code3suby

My question is with the coast guard and why didn't they send a helicopter with armed rescue swimmers who are trained in both rescue and combat to take care of the situation if they couldn't get a boat in there. CHP also operates a rescue helicoper which has an armed officer on board.

Also that being said, I probably would've done it with a life jacket and some backup. When the person went limp they should've been in position to pull them to land and rescusitate.
I totally agree to a lot of stuff you ahve said but it just was not worth it for them, it takes so much money to do so, most likley with this patient not going to pay. life flight is like 10 grand for one rescue and calstar is a bit more from what i remember. but what kind of back up would you ahve had if you went in with a lifejacket, its not a matter of fact of weapons its the person themselves in an instable condition.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:05 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
so cops and firemen are now supposed to be lifeguards on-duty?

all i know is that i would NOT have gone in there to save a guy who's suicidal... i have done lifeguarding before as a job 10+ years ago and used to swim and play waterpolo, so am a very strong swimmer.

it's common knowledge that if/when someone is drowning, they will instinctively just grab and hold onto anything they can, i.e. you when you go out to save him... they end up almost always taking the other person down with them, unless they have all the necessary equipment.

if they do grab you and are trying to take you down, I'd literally punch him square in the face or gouge his eye out (no joke) to have him let go, so then I can help "save" his life a bit easier and more safely for us both.

maybe just lasso him with a rope around his neck and drag him to shore?

hahah, some people are funny sometimes with their logic, or lackthereof.

I am not going out into the water to save some guy who's trying to kill himself and risk my entire life/family doing it without the proper equipment or training/responsibility. i mean seriously, what the F*CK are you trying to ask our police/firemen to do here? you're really trying to complain about everything?

we (most people) always just need someone to blame and b*tch and moan about versus looking at the big picture here.

in hindsight: they prob just should have tossed a rope around him after they got into the water and literally just dragged his *** out... then immediately arrest him for being a toolbag.

to all the butthurt people- you're seriously telling me that you would have been in that water? before he was unconcious?

do you even have to know how to swim to be a cop or a fireman?

also, same is true for every job... first thing is, check to see if that's my job/responsibility. if not, push back... everyone's guilty of this.

Last edited by NorCalPaintball; 06-02-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:08 PM

Oh I get it now.. He swam out there to act helpless so that he could have the chance to stab anyone that tried to help him with the harpoon he had hidden in anus. Fortunately the 75 people watching knew he was a criminal mastermind, axe-murdering, psychopath and knew better than to fall into his trap. Luckily the plan backfired and he is dead now. Let's celebrate no one had to go in and get all cold and wet - cause that sucks.

This whole story leaves me so conflicted.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
some straight up vaginas right there. buddy of mine that trained with Tahoe regional fire department was blasting these dudes on facebook. They all recieve water shore rescue especially if they have water in their protection area so there is no reason to just sit back and watch. If my buddy recieved this training in Tahoe, there is no reason that Alameda cops shouldnt get it either.
I think the reason for this is that there are A LOT of water related accidents in Tahoe. not so much in Alameda.

Quick Reply: Alameda Firefighters & Cops watch dude drown!