Alameda Co.: Bay Bridge Fatal Crash Suspect Bails Out Pending Charges

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:21 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
Alameda Co.: Bay Bridge Fatal Crash Suspect Bails Out Pending Charges

An alleged drunken driver accused of causing a fiery, fatal crash on the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge early Sunday has been released from custody pending charges in Alameda County.

According to witnesses, Jerell Puno, 22, of Fairfield, was driving recklessly and speeding at more than 100 mph on the lower deck of the bridge when he rear-ended a Mercedes-Benz east of Treasure Island at about 2:20 a.m., California Highway Patrol spokesman Shawn Chase said.

Puno's Subaru Impreza and the Mercedes-Benz spun out on impact and slammed into the bridge railing, the CHP reported.

A passenger in the Mercedes, 21-year-old Scott Leister, of Castro Valley, was pinned inside and pronounced dead at the scene, according to the CHP. Three other occupants sustained minor injuries.

Puno was able to escape the Subaru before it erupted in flames, and had only minor scrapes, Chase said.

Chase said Puno was "very cooperative" with officers and even apologetic before being arrested on charges of vehicular manslaughter and driving under the influence.

Later Sunday, he posted $102,500 bail and was released from jail in Alameda County, according to the Alameda County Sheriff's Office.

A court date in the case has not yet been set, according to the Alameda County District Attorney's Office.

Thats not very much bail for what damage he caused!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:22 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
Did anyone call dibs on the front brakes calipers?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:51 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
im guessing that suby wasnt paid for by him, or the bail
Old 08-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by I<3subie
An alleged drunken driver accused of causing a fiery, fatal crash on the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge early Sunday has been released from custody pending charges in Alameda County.

According to witnesses, Jerell Puno, 22, of Fairfield, was driving recklessly and speeding at more than 100 mph on the lower deck of the bridge when he rear-ended a Mercedes-Benz east of Treasure Island at about 2:20 a.m., California Highway Patrol spokesman Shawn Chase said.

Puno's Subaru Impreza and the Mercedes-Benz spun out on impact and slammed into the bridge railing, the CHP reported.

A passenger in the Mercedes, 21-year-old Scott Leister, of Castro Valley, was pinned inside and pronounced dead at the scene, according to the CHP. Three other occupants sustained minor injuries.

Puno was able to escape the Subaru before it erupted in flames, and had only minor scrapes, Chase said.

Chase said Puno was "very cooperative" with officers and even apologetic before being arrested on charges of vehicular manslaughter and driving under the influence.

Later Sunday, he posted $102,500 bail and was released from jail in Alameda County, according to the Alameda County Sheriff's Office.

A court date in the case has not yet been set, according to the Alameda County District Attorney's Office.

Thats not very much bail for what damage he caused!

Being apologetic or saying "I'm sorry" won't bring people back to life now will it?
Old 08-18-2008, 02:05 PM

Car Info: dc2
100k bail for causing death, dui and i heard running past 90mph is considered a federal crime

hmmm....

and his name is Puno... how you even pronounce that? POOOO NO? PUN-oh
Old 08-18-2008, 02:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
that's a lot of bail money for a normal guy... i wonder where he got it...

not saying that it shouldn't be more for the scenario. i'm just surprised he paid it.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:09 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
WTF!? they let him walk out!?
Old 08-18-2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by medicSTi

not saying that it shouldn't be more for the scenario. i'm just surprised he paid it.
My assumption is that that is the total bail amount. there are two ways to post bail.

1) you or someone you know post bail (the entire amount) In this case, the money probably does not have to be verified since this is not a crime that involves money (drug dealer, money laundry, gambling, etc). they get the 100% back eventually.

2) bail bond. the bondsman will post 100% and the accused or party will pay the bondsman 10%. this 10% belongs to the bondsman. bondsman will eventually get 100% of his posted bond back if the accused is back in court.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:31 PM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
Originally Posted by medicSTi

Bailbonds place?
Old 08-18-2008, 02:45 PM

Car Info: 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner 4 Cyl.
Wow okay, do you guys know how the system works?? Ever watch Dog the Bounty Hunter??? As someone that has been arrested for bogus claims and what not!!! You put up 10% of the Bail in order to get out, and Bail Bonds Agent or Company will put up the rest. For something like that you usually put up the deed to your home, or parents home. Last thing Bail Bonds Agent wants to do is lose their money. If you run and do not appear within the right time frame the Agents have a crack of taking your home, or whoever put up their money or home.

So in any case this guy or his family put up $10,250.00 for him to get out. Nonetheless it was a tragic accident, and drunk or not drunk this accident is something that should not of happened regardless I hope this guy gets what he deserves though.

-Gio
Old 08-18-2008, 02:51 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
Originally Posted by En3D

2) bail bond. the bondsman will post 100% and the accused or party will pay the bondsman 10%. this 10% belongs to the bondsman. bondsman will eventually get 100% of his posted bond back if the accused is back in court.
BAD BOY BAIL BONDS!
Old 08-18-2008, 03:00 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Thats absurd, thats not nearly enough bail.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:13 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi
Originally Posted by Hong
i heard running past 90mph is considered a federal crime
nope its not. I got a ticket that much grater then 90 and its was only a traffic ticket. but I couldn't do traffic school or anything. its also 2 points and stay on your record for a long time, though I don't know how long.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:40 PM

Car Info: .
Wish they'd nail him to a cross, but it's CA. He'll get a smack on the wrist and have his Xbox privileges revoked for a week.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:45 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
Wish they'd nail him to a cross, but it's CA. He'll get a smack on the wrist and have his Xbox privileges revoked for a week.
Or play basketball at Santa Rita Jail house

Quick Reply: Alameda Co.: Bay Bridge Fatal Crash Suspect Bails Out Pending Charges