aero effectiveness of roof fins on the evo8

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 12:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
aero effectiveness of roof fins on the evo8

Originally Posted by platypus
Originally Posted by dsilver668
On a side note EvoWorks makes a set of vertical fins that sit on the rear of the roof. They help channel the air back over the wing to provide even better down force. I haven't seen this for the STi yet, but according to the technical manager at work's it really does help.
Out of curiosity, what data do they have to show the aerodynamic effectiveness of the fins? I've actually been pretty curious as to thier effectiveness, and if they've got some data (something more substantial than a butt-based windtunnel), I would love to see it.

In the right setting I can definately see the strakes smoothing the airflow to the rear wing, but only if there was a sufficiently attached laminar airflow at that point on the car (which there probably is, but i want data dangit).

</hijack>
I know we've got to have at least one other bench racer aerodynamicist in the BAIC, so here's my question:

If the roof fins on the evo8 help with rear downforce, how do they shape the airflow to achieve this?

I can only guess that the fins must create vortices which direct more air towards the wing, which gives it more of an opportunity to create downforce, but I'm not at all sure.

dangit we need a wind tunnel that we can put our cars into (and nasa ames is all booked up)
Old 06-01-2005, 12:44 PM
VIP Member

ahh, the wonders of google

The MR introduces various other extra-equipment features, some of them quite useful and others falling squarely into the mildly functional engineering geekdom category. Speaking of the latter, eight small "vortex generator" fins have been added to the back edge of the roof. At first glance, you wouldn't think they have anything to do with aerodynamics, but they actually increase the functionality of the rear wind spoiler and add downforce. A Mitsubishi engineer from Japan said the effective downforce of the system's flow, combined with the rear wing, helps to effectively reducing lift by 35 percent at 160 mph, which is the Evo's approximate top speed.
now to go get some carbon and make a set for the rally car.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: some silver thing
Originally Posted by platypus
ahh, the wonders of google

now to go get some carbon and make a set for the rally car.

no need.. it doesn't go fast enough... =P
Old 06-01-2005, 12:54 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by porkchop
no need.. it doesn't go fast enough... =P
1% improvement is more than worth while to pursue. Tenths add up to seconds.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:04 PM

Car Info: '98 Legacy GT - EJ20 swap, STI RA tranny, VF22+
Just get a roof spoiler off an '06 STI

Jeremy
Old 06-01-2005, 01:15 PM
VIP Member

looks like it would probably serve the same purpose, air redirection not so much generating downforce on it's own. besides I would initially suspect that the fins would result in lower drag.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:19 PM

Car Info: _
Aren't they called canards?

As I understand it it, they breakup the airflow mass, causing vortices (as you said), pulling in additional volumes of air beyond the boundary layer, and allow for a greater pressure differential above & below the wing (i.e. more downforce). I think it along the lines of "controlled turbulence". Me thinks.

Last edited by stevedood; 06-01-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: some silver thing
canards are on the front bumper...
Old 06-01-2005, 01:59 PM
VIP Member

the term "canard" appears to refer to nose-mounted wings on an airplane (i think it's actually the flaps being mounted forward of the main wing), so I don't think the roof fins would fall into that category. They're more accurately called strakes, i think, but anyway terms are less important than the effects of the device.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
****** would work bettar
Old 06-01-2005, 02:07 PM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
The STi design seems like it would work better. That top rear window spoiler would direct the air flow down over the rear window and under the trunk spoiler. It seems like that would be more functional at lower speeds than the evo design.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:34 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mbquarts
The STi design seems like it would work better. That top rear window spoiler would direct the air flow down over the rear window and under the trunk spoiler. It seems like that would be more functional at lower speeds than the evo design.
it would certainly work differently, and at low speeds would certainly direct more air down towards the rear wing area. At higher speeds, though, <bench racer> it looks like it would actually result in more turbulence, and possibly result in less air getting to the wing at higher speeds. Low speed downforce would be enhanced, but possibly at the expense of higher speed stability (but with the added drag of that wing, maybe you won't get to the higher top speeds to begin with).
</bench racer>
Old 06-01-2005, 02:46 PM

Car Info: 2005 Blue STi Gold Wheels Piggy Stickers!!!
Lightbulb spoller and fins.

Yup I thnink you will also be fighting a drag coefficiant once you hit a certain speed but at normal highway speeds it would funnle all that air straight to the rear wing.
This is why the fins only work at higher speeds. They need enough air flow to creat that channled flow. The fins look like those of a rocket. They are curved on both sides, so at high speed it would compress the air heading down the back wind shield like a ram jet.
Of course since we all drive the speed limit this is all kinda a mute point anyway right? :P
Old 06-01-2005, 03:02 PM

Car Info: 2005 Blue STi Gold Wheels Piggy Stickers!!!
Talking www.worksevo.com

I went out trying to look up info on the fins, or even the wings of the evo or STi and didn't find anything. Anyone have a friend at NASA Aims. I could donait my car for the test..
Old 06-01-2005, 04:46 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Originally Posted by mbquarts
saying "it seems like it would work better" is stupid, because you're just demonstrating that you actually have no idea what the difference is between the two. while i don't pretend to be an expert on fluid flow dynamics, i'm not sitting here posting out of my *** either.

Quick Reply: aero effectiveness of roof fins on the evo8