Advice? Windshield shattered on freeway...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 08:18 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
Advice? Windshield shattered on freeway...

So i'm driving to Staples (bernal) with my girlfriend around 7PM going south bound on 101. I was in the carpool lane in front of a flat bed tow truck with an old VW van on top of it.

I decided to switch to the right lane in fear of debris and out of nowhere the VW's winshield comes flying off and hits the road to my left (where i was just a second ago). All this glass flew onto my car but luckily i was 20ft away so i got maybe 1/4 of all the glass that shattered onto the ground. The truck didn't stop so i got his plates and the company it was from. When i arrived at staples which was the upcoming exit, i checked my car and only saw about 2 paint chips (it was dark) and said screw it. When i got home, i checked it more carefully and now see that theres about 6 paint chips and one is down to the metal.

My question is... would it be too much trouble to make a police report? Can i still do it since i didn't make any attempt to stop the tow truck? Or should i just take my losses and use the trust ol' touch-up?

Cliffs: A van's windshield on a flat bed tow truck flew off the car and landed onto the freeway.
Truck didn't stop and my brand new babied 07 wrx has about 6 paint chips (dots). Should i report or is it too late?
Old 09-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Want to steal my car?
I get stabby!

Car Info: 05 Wrx Impreza
hmm I would call the tow co. 1st they might just help you out up front. If not then file a police report and go that route.. but thats just me lol.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Manny408
hmm I would call the tow co. 1st they might just help you out up front. If not then file a police report and go that route.. but thats just me lol.
Yeah, i was thinking that too but the damage is very small i think they'll just b@tch at me saying its so minimal, etc.. my car's first boo boo and i'm feeling the pain. lol
Old 09-05-2007, 08:28 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Well, does it bother you? Contact them asap before it's too late. They're a liability to everyone if they go around dropping crap all over the roads.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:37 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
yeah, as long as you have the plate numbers you can file the claim. shouldn't be too much trouble. insurance company see that missing windshield, and wah lah, body work is in your future.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Want to steal my car?
I get stabby!

Car Info: 05 Wrx Impreza
Originally Posted by jondl
Yeah, i was thinking that too but the damage is very small i think they'll just b@tch at me saying its so minimal, etc.. my car's first boo boo and i'm feeling the pain. lol
Yea I hear ya on the "first boo boo" thing heh..when I first got my 05 wrx me and the wife went to claim jumper in concord, when we were walking back to the car I see a golf ball size dent w/ dark green paint to it and sure enough I look at the car next to me and see a dark green 300 zx (fairlady). and it had my silver paint on the door. then the wife looks on the winsheild and finds a note reading and I sh/t you not lol. "im only writing this cause someone saw my boy slam my door into your car just take it to dentpro...laterz". So I tell the wife to look out for me..and I key the Z from talilight to front bumper lol I was soo pissed!!!.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:48 PM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon 5spd, '11 R6 Race
go for it and try to get that thing fixed, they should do it, i would do it if i was in your situation
Old 09-05-2007, 09:55 PM

So i tried calling them but to no avail. I just filed a police report and the Cop seemed hesitant to help since its a bunch of dots on the front bumper and like i said.. minimal unless its your first car that you babied since day 1...

Anyway, Cop said he will check it out tomorrow but most cases the tow truck co. will say it never happened and end of story. Said there was no collision, just debris and even if there was a VW van on their lot with a missing windshield it wouldn't mean anything and i probably won't be able to do anything about it.

Situation looks gloom.. ah well. I should just man up and face the facts, cars will always end up with paint chips on the front bumper
Old 09-05-2007, 10:23 PM

clear bras rule for this sort of thing
Old 09-05-2007, 10:54 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx, new (to me) 2006 exige, low n slow miata
Well, good on you for having enough foresight to change lanes. Could have been much worse with much the same reaction from the tow company and the police.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:54 PM

Car Info: Subaru?
got my windshield from AllStar Glass. look them up and give them a call.

$215 installed. that was a discount rate, so expect to pay just a little bit more.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by pillowball
Well, good on you for having enough foresight to change lanes. Could have been much worse with much the same reaction from the tow company and the police.
Very true. It could've been a lot worse. I'm surprised no one else called it in. I saw about 2 other cars that were in the vicinity of the splash.

Originally Posted by WRXakaBooSTi
got my windshield from AllStar Glass. look them up and give them a call.

$215 installed. that was a discount rate, so expect to pay just a little bit more.
Thanks! i don't need a new windshield but i'll keep it in mind!
Old 09-06-2007, 01:03 AM

file

file and get as much money to invest in a clear bra/
Old 09-06-2007, 08:13 PM

Car Info: Subaru?
Originally Posted by stylin525
file and get as much money to invest in a clear bra/
personally, i hate clear bra!

id much rather have a few chips than have a ugly line across the entire front of my car, no matter how invisible they try to make it. plus, you have to pay for a clear bra in the first place.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by WRXakaBooSTi
personally, i hate clear bra!

id much rather have a few chips than have a ugly line across the entire front of my car, no matter how invisible they try to make it. plus, you have to pay for a clear bra in the first place.
lol ok

that's what people with chipped up front ends say to make themselves feel better that they didn't get a clear bra.