academy of art university

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 02:33 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
academy of art university

Is it competetive to get in to academy of art university in san francisco? what is it like there? any feedback would be nice... thanks.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2014 Mazda MX-5 GT PRHT
No.. it's not competetive. You give them a hundred bux for registration and you're basically in. From my experience... (2 or 3 years ago before it become a "University"). I decided not to go because it wasn't hard to get in. And I heard many bad stories about them. Who knows, it might be different now. For a little more money and a top notch school that will be much harder to get in to and rated a huge amount better, go to CCA (FKA- CCAC California Collage of Arts and Crafts.) But then again... it's all up to your abilities and how well you learn. You can go to City College of SF and get a degree there and land a nice job because of your portfolio. It's up to your creativity and your skills. It's not really the school. But I'm not saying that schools don't help.. of course they have the resources and such to help you get the skills. but anyhoo.. good luck with your choice. I'm sure you'll be good.

Last edited by sireatalot; 12-08-2004 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:45 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by sireatalot
No.. it's not competetive. You give them a hundred bux for registration and you're basically in. From my experience... (2 or 3 years ago before it become a "University"). I decided not to go because it wasn't hard to get in. And I heard many bad stories about them. Who knows, it might be different now. For a little more money and a top notch school that will be much harder to get in to and rated a huge amount better, go to CCA (FKA- CCAC California Collage of Arts and Crafts.) But then again... it's all up to your abilities and how well you learn. You can go to City College of SF and get a degree there and land a nice job because of your portfolio. It's up to your creativity and your skills. It's not really the school. But I'm not saying that schools don't help.. of course they have the resources and such to help you get the skills. but anyhoo.. good luck with your choice. I'm sure you'll be good.

yeah..in todays job market school isn't as important as it used to be. But it is incredibly helpful along with a great portfolio and talent.

The graphic design field has been flooded over the last 10 years.

I have a good job right now. Pays decent. I got it coming out of a crappy tech school with a graphics certificate. That was 7 years ago. If I tried to do the same now....people would laugh at me. With a BA from someplace like CCA or academy of art..or pretty much any decent university, I'd have it much easier finding a new job. And probably be worth anywhere from $25-65k more a year.

I have the experience and skills for an art director job...many of them are $115k plus a year. I don't have a BA. None of them even look at me.

if it is within your abilities financially and what not to get a degree....do it.

I'm not doing academy of art because it's too expensive and I couldn't get a teaching credential out of it...... I'd like to teach in the future.

Bah...I need to go back to school.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:47 PM
This Guy Can Hella Draw!

Car Info: '14 MBP FXT | '03 WW Evo VIII
I went there when it was $250 a unit. By the time I got out it had gone to $400/unit. Not that competitive to get in. A little competitive once you are in. AAC (AAU now) helped me a lot. The illustration faculty was excellent when I was there. What you going to study?

Imprezzy goes there currently, you can shoot him a couple of ?'s.

- Marc
c/o 98
Old 12-08-2004, 03:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2014 Mazda MX-5 GT PRHT
yeah.. if you can afford it, you should go. I heard that the graphics dept. is not all that good at AAU. I'd go there for Product Design... or Transportation design...
Old 12-08-2004, 05:04 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Razorlab....I'd love to have a conversation with you. I'll send you a pm.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:35 PM

Car Info: '02 Subaru Impreza WRX
I just graduated from there with a degree in Computer Arts - 3d Modeling. If you need anymore info regarding it I can give you my opinion.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:54 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
I go to AAU myself. It is a fun learning environment so far and a lot of people are quite talented in all different kinds of mediums. I go to late classes since I have to work full time in the day. I decided to go back and get my degree in animation. In IT now but I'd rather be doing something I like. My wife is in graduate school at Berkeley and that is the only reason I haven't quit and gone to school full time.

Gunslinger- Where did you end up getting a job and doing what?

new to the forum as well.
05 rb STI
Old 12-08-2004, 11:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon x2
I'm studying Industrial Design at AAU right now. The IDS department is a completely separate entity from the rest of the school, so I'm not sure if what I say applies to anything but IDS.

The school does have open enrollment, but the morons are weeded out throughout the semester because of the insanely heavy work load. The IDS department has gone through a lot of changes over the last few years. AAU is one of the few schools that teaches trans. design that will even accept an application without a portfolio. Considering the fact that the school starts with completely inexperienced students and in 4-5 years has them turning out results that are just a notch behind the more reputable schools (Art Center and College for Creative Studies), I'd say it's a pretty good school.

Yes, I'm spouting off a lot of propaganda, but I wouldn't repeat it if I didn't believe it.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: looking for a gc
damn, tuition is bank $550 per unit right now..wow

Last edited by krzyxrevver12; 12-09-2004 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:44 AM

Car Info: BMW X5M. No more twinscroll LGT
the band i'm in just had a video shot by a group of grad students there. we were on site up there using their blue room for a day...that university sure has an insane amount of the most high end technology i've seen in any university. the grad students did say it was a chunk of change to get in....plenty of hot art girls to go around too.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:45 AM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
I'm currently getting raped by tuition at AAU. I'm graduing this spring in New Media. The decision on going to that school rides solely on what you want to do. If you're gonna get into web, interactive, and print design. I can tell you what you'll be getting yourself into. I was gung ho about going to the Academy when I got in at the age of 18, but 5 years later, I have mixed feelings about that school. Long story. Mostly my fault for not busting my *** as much as I would have liked. However, I turned out okay despite going into that school not knowing jack squat. Most people I've met have had SOME experience with Photoshop, Illustrator, HTML, and such. I didn't. Haha. So I was a late bloomer myself. Even a schumck like me ended up learning a crapload of stuff in my major.

In my major, if you're going to that school just to enrich your artistic creativity only, look elsewhere. If you want to get a career and a job with this sort of thing, look no further. They'll drill you hard in your final 1-2 years to crank out stuff according to "industry standards" and train to you get a job like you're a clone from Star Wars. The Academy of Art is the LA Lakers of all art schools. You can think about that quote in a few different ways. Sometimes, even "overrated" comes to mind. So that hangs over my head every single day when I tell people I'm an art school student from the Academy. =)

-Holland
c/o 05 New Media

WTF, there's an Arts Institute banner on the bottom of this thread! Ah well. My school ****** itself on TV 24 hours a day anyway.

Last edited by Hollandaze; 12-09-2004 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:52 AM

Car Info: '02 Subaru Impreza WRX
You don't want to know what happens after graduation. I have gone to the GDC and Siggraph depositting my demo reel. I have also sent a bunch out to open positions found on the internet. The closest thing I got was an art test to EA Canada for Need for Speed UG 2. I am currently working at visual concepts as a game tester. I have kept in touch with a bunch of people I graduated with. Some have made it but more have not. It's a very competitive world for the 3d Artists.

Quick Reply: academy of art university