About to undertake the biggest install/car session I've ever done, advice or a hand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 10:29 AM

Car Info: 2002 4EAT MBP wrx wagon
About to undertake the biggest install/car session I've ever done, advice or a hand?

Hi all,

So I've been storing away parts for a massive one session build up (at least in terms of my experience and budget.) So far off the top of my head, though I need to check my garage, I have the timing belt, pulley (4eat), sways and links, undercarriage brace, light bar, front oem lip side pieces, f/r aeroguards, IC splitter and watersprayer, maybe a large tmic than my sti one, plugs, pnp header and cross pipe, pnp turbo, downpipe, turbo inlet, coilovers, wheels and tires, brake pads fluid and lines, all fluids including rear diff, wetsanding headlights, hid, rockblocker on lights, respray fogs yellow, front axles, painting of wheels, sways, supertones, various brackets, diy mudflaps, supertones, rain visors, not sure if there's anything else...

Car is currently lifted on forester struts, stage 2ish, dirty as hell, with torn cv boots.
I'll be doing this in my small but level driveway in berkeley.
Things I will be getting done:

- Mounting/balancing of tires
- Allignment
- Should I be resurfacing rotors (20-30k of street wear)?

Tools: (Craftsman)
- 6 point set
- Breaker bar
- Torque wrench
- Flare nut wrench set
- Ratcheting wrenches
- 02 socket
- Jack and 4 stands
- all the various pliers and such (vice grips)
- Grease
- Locktight
- PB blaster/liquid wrench/wd40
- Gloves (rubber and mechanics)
- Towels and rags
- Tape
- Tarps
- Catch for oil and a bucket for coolant
- Lava soap haha
- Torque specs

Tools I may need to borrow if anyone has em:
Digital caliper? Would be great to getting the height adjusted of my coilovers right
Coilover wrenches/dampening adjusters. (HKS)
Anything else?

Things I need help on:
HID wiring (anyone have a link to someone installing them in 02-03 sti headlights? It's a digital kit and I don't know how complete it is, but h1 bulbs and some wrx looking connectors/homemade harnesses but no relays in the setup to be seen.)
Coilover initial setup. Will be getting it all alligned, but height adjustment, dampening adjustment, this is all brand new to me. Don't have spring compressors (do I have to load up the springs to a certain tension before installing these?)
Timing belt and pulley: this is new to me, heard it's tricky on a 4eat

Experience I've had:
Installing suspension, 60k service, dp, up, axleback, tmic, rhd to lhd sti light conversion, interior trim painting, tranny cooler, diy's, etc.

Sadly my driveway isn't big enough for more than one car so I can' offer up an install fest. I'll be starting today so you're welcome to pm me if you're in the berkeley area and wanna check it out. Any advice before I get started? I plan on having a space laid out for all my tools, taking my time with breaks and drinks, removing the hood to work easier, any other tips? Thanks all and I'll post some pics of how it starts and hopefully how it sits finished. Wish me luck.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:36 AM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
I'm down to help a little, I'd get your rotors turned for sure, putting on new pads without turned rotors is just asking to have problems because the contact surface will be off. I'm going to be busy today and tomorrow but monday and tuesday are my days off and I can help then.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:40 AM

Car Info: FR-S + WRB Bugeye.
What he said^^...and all this will probably take at least 2 days to get it all done. So be ready for a long weekend. Good amount of parts, hope everythin goes smoothly for you.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:44 AM

Yeah I just did my lines, rotors, pads and flushed the brake fluid with dot 4. With waiting for them to get turned it took most of the day, but we didn't have air tools.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:48 AM

That's the other thign I needed! I would love to borrow a brake bleeder. Bleeding question: I want to take off the calipers and hit them with some paint. If that's the case, my whole system will go dry no? Is that going to be a huge pain getting bubbles out when I reinstall everything?
Old 06-30-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by pleue
That's the other thign I needed! I would love to borrow a brake bleeder. Bleeding question: I want to take off the calipers and hit them with some paint. If that's the case, my whole system will go dry no? Is that going to be a huge pain getting bubbles out when I reinstall everything?
Keep the cap on the brake cylinder, when you take the lines off to put on the new ones, it'll drain what's in the line and the caliper, you'll have to bleed the whole system anyways when you get everything back together.

I just used some clear plastic tubing, a water bottle and a friend to bleed my brakes. I think I have a speed bleed kit in my storage.

There's a specific bleed order, I can definitely help with the brake bleed, but like I said, monday and tuesday are my off days.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:31 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
With how much it costs to Turn the Rotors, it might be better just to pick up some New Rotors from Autozone or Napa or wherever as they are almost equivalent pricing.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
I am out of town, but maybe I can give you a hand on Friday if I am free. I just did my 4EAT related stuff. Front diff, rear diff, and ATF. And I've done a few of the suspension tidbits.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:10 PM

coool thanks everyone. DId a tranny flush (that includes the front diff correct?) about 10k ago so I think I won't be touching that. The rotors are AEM big brake rotors, so if they need resurfacing, I'd like to get em resurfaced. Anyone know a shop in Oakland/Berkeley that could do this.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by pleue
coool thanks everyone. DId a tranny flush (that includes the front diff correct?) about 10k ago so I think I won't be touching that. The rotors are AEM big brake rotors, so if they need resurfacing, I'd like to get em resurfaced. Anyone know a shop in Oakland/Berkeley that could do this.
4EAT? I believe that the the tranny and front diff are different! It was on mine.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:14 PM

I'll poke around. I had the shop flush the tranny. I'll look into the diff when I get the car up, delays delays. Still haven't even started, looking like tomorrow for me.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:23 PM

Draining is the easy part. Filling it is tricky. With filling, go get a funnel and some medical hosing. Easiest thing to do is guide the hosing into the diff dipstick, and fill it like that.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:16 PM

sweet, I have a fluid pump that screws onto the gear oil bottle and hand pumps through a tube. Bought it for the rear diff, probably work for the front. Tomorrow's the day...
Old 06-30-2010, 09:52 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
aghhh, this reminds me i still have to do my differential fluids and bleeding brakes for my 30k mile service. past 30k over a month ago... =/

where can i get good diy instructions for that. anybody know?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:21 PM

So got started really late today. Front axle nuts broke, up on jack stands, wheels, headlights, front bumper, bumper beam, and sideskirts removed. Called it a day. I should go pb blast some stuff, but it's dark and I'm tired from a morning of errands and landscaping. Tomorrow is more unbolting, painting wheels, and hopefully some installs. Maybe fluids tomorrow too. Any ideas on what a fair price is on rotor turning? I've heard some folks say it's not a good idea whe nyou don't feel any warping because the pads will bed and you won't be taking off any material when you don't have to...

Quick Reply: About to undertake the biggest install/car session I've ever done, advice or a hand?