93 octane gas WHERE DO YOU GET IT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 05:17 PM

Car Info: you've got an electrical problem.
Sunol has 87- 89 - 91 - 100 - 110 - 114 - 118 Non pump

Its off the north side of the sunol grade on 680 north from fremont.
I use a mix on every fill up.
pump #8 91 @ $3.55 a gallon
pump #9 100 @ $ 5.40 a gallon.

I park between pumps and dont have to move the car to fill up. I fill up about twice a week. About $50 a fill up. If 91 goes back up to $3.75+ I'll just start using more 100. As I have not seen the price rise at all over the last few months.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:38 PM

Car Info: 07 STI
Originally Posted by pinofro
^^^ interesting... i thought that we could not run anything lower then 91 on turbo applications i ran 89 in the past and the car ran slugish??? this thread is become better then i first thought
You CANNOT run anything lower than 91, I think he was referring to an accident where someone put lower grade fuel in their car.
With lower than 91..yes the car will run, but if you go into boost you can kiss your engine goodbye.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:04 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
There is a place in Hayward that sells 100 and 93 at the pump, but 93 is bank so its better just to mix in a few gallons of 100 with 91. Are you tuned on 93? If you are still stock the ecu will relearn for 91
Old 10-31-2007, 07:11 PM

I'm tuned for 93+ With my delta dash I can pull timing on the fly if needed when stuck running less.

You can also run 89 in our cars. You just will not get alot of boost or much power. The ecu will use the knock corection and other sensors to adjust the tune. Older cars running alot of base timing or no knock sensor would have problems with detenation leading to broken ringlands and rings. Or blown motors. Newer cars..... Not so much. Unless its been tuned out... By locking the mutiplier or what not.
I'd reset the ecu if you do. So the ecu can relearn using lower grade fuel.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by av98
Main point in mixing to a higher octane is a cleaner burn during compression process, plus it prevents detonation at higher temp environments.

ECU will also adjust timing to take advantage of the better fuel composition. Resetting the ECU greatly speeds up this process but is also recommended if you go lower in octane rating.

Some say they gain a small amount of HP but I don't think it's noticeable. Others say you improve gas mileage. IMHO, the cleaner burn does make the car run smoother.

I wouldn't recommend running this daily, it's something worth using for track days or any racing environment that raises the operating temp to the point where detonation occurs. If you just want to see how it runs with a cleaner burn I'd try it once in a while as it will also run smoother.

Since the mid-west and east coast get 93 & 96 octance our US ECUs should be able to compensate for this higher octane mix.
not sure why you think higher octane fuels burn 'cleaner' than lower octane fuels. Lower octane fuels have a lower ignition threshold (ignite quicker and burn faster) than high octane fuels, so all things being equal lower octane fuels will burn cleaner and more efficiently than higher octane fuels. If your tuned specifically for higher octane fuels you can burn higher octane fuels as clean and efficiently as lower octane fuels, but car-for-car looking at the entire population of vehicles on the road, the lower you set your octanes the better from and environmental standpoint, and thats what our 91 octane limit is based on, they have even threatened to go lower
Old 10-31-2007, 11:45 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX Tr
Almaden and Foxworthy as 100 octane, dont remember if they have 93 though. Usually rare to find 93, if so, only 76 would have it.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Krinkov
but car-for-car looking at the entire population of vehicles on the road, the lower you set your octanes the better from and environmental standpoint, and thats what our 91 octane limit is based on, they have even threatened to go lower
That is not so much.

Also the green fuels take more fuel to burn for less miles. Its not fuel that is the problem. Its the engines. Our engines (Non Turbo)are only about 25-30% efficience. There has been studies done that have proved this. Turbo cars go up about 5% more. The energy is wasted out the tail pipe (unburned fuel) Its the design on the engine. This is why we all have cats on our cars. Lower octane does nothing for environment.

B.T.W. High gas prices on the way. Oil hit $96 a barrel this morning.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:50 AM

Car Info: elcipse please dont make fun... thank you
Originally Posted by JRsWRX
You CANNOT run anything lower than 91, I think he was referring to an accident where someone put lower grade fuel in their car.
With lower than 91..yes the car will run, but if you go into boost you can kiss your engine goodbye.

cool thats what i thought i must have misunderstood thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 09:52 AM

Car Info: 05 330i ZHP, 02 ES300, 85 MR2 SC
not sure why you think higher octane fuels burn 'cleaner' than lower octane fuels. Lower octane fuels have a lower ignition threshold (ignite quicker and burn faster) than high octane fuels, so all things being equal lower octane fuels will burn cleaner and more efficiently than higher octane fuels. If your tuned specifically for higher octane fuels you can burn higher octane fuels as clean and efficiently as lower octane fuels, but car-for-car looking at the entire population of vehicles on the road, the lower you set your octanes the better from and environmental standpoint, and thats what our 91 octane limit is based on, they have even threatened to go lower
I forgot to clarify that higher compression and FI engines tuned for higher octane can burn just as clean as the lower octane non-high compression engines; which you pointed out. All cars considered, they just run lower octane for smog purposes and refinement processing costs; it's alot cheaper. Don't be fooled what the politicians sell you.

Considering the amount of cars California has, it's a travesty they sell us 91 compared to 93 or 96 octane that the mid-west and east coast get, but charge more. I guess the majority of cars in general don't require higher octane since they are all tuned for lower octane. However, if you notice most higher performance cars require the higher octane in order to run properly because they are tuned for it. I know the last few sports cars I've had did- 1G GSX, GSR, MR2 SC (which has a selector switch to retard timing in order to run 89 octane) & currently this WRX.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:23 PM

All vehicals since 1999 are 50 state smog legal. 2006+ 90% are set to euro 3 standards.

Your ECU adapts to what ever you put into the tank.

Your ecu's sensors pick up and adjust for ign and fuel maps.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by av98
I forgot to clarify that higher compression and FI engines tuned for higher octane can burn just as clean as the lower octane non-high compression engines; which you pointed out. All cars considered, they just run lower octane for smog purposes and refinement processing costs; it's alot cheaper. Don't be fooled what the politicians sell you.

Considering the amount of cars California has, it's a travesty they sell us 91 compared to 93 or 96 octane that the mid-west and east coast get, but charge more. I guess the majority of cars in general don't require higher octane since they are all tuned for lower octane. However, if you notice most higher performance cars require the higher octane in order to run properly because they are tuned for it. I know the last few sports cars I've had did- 1G GSX, GSR, MR2 SC (which has a selector switch to retard timing in order to run 89 octane) & currently this WRX.
I think you got me wrong, Im not trying to make the case that all of us should be running lower octane gas, indeed that would be disastrous for most of us here. I was just commenting on the statement that higher octane fuels were 'cleaner' than lower octane fuels was not really accurate.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:27 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Why not run water/alcohol injection and get a higher octane mixture only when it's needed?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:31 PM

Car Info: elcipse please dont make fun... thank you
this is a very educational thread!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:58 PM

Car Info: 05 330i ZHP, 02 ES300, 85 MR2 SC
I think you got me wrong, Im not trying to make the case that all of us should be running lower octane gas, indeed that would be disastrous for most of us here. I was just commenting on the statement that higher octane fuels were 'cleaner' than lower octane fuels was not really accurate.
True true, my bad.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:09 AM

Car Info: 04 WRX (sold), 03 WRX (sold), 04 330CI (current)
next to san leandro tapioca express there is a vp gas station that sell 93 and 100 octane gas. they're a bit pricy but i guess if you want racing gas hahaha

Quick Reply: 93 octane gas WHERE DO YOU GET IT?