65mph in a 65 = no front plate and state ref

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 11:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
Originally Posted by dan avoN7
lol my car passed the test. now its time to install this bad boy

could you write up a review of what it was like going to the ref? it would answer a lot of questions that pop up all the time.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Aegon
Just out of curiosity, were you in 5th gear when he pulled you over? Were you weaving in and out or crossing a yellow line?

I'm just asking because it sounds so bizarre to be pulled over for essentially nothing. Seems like they would have real laws to enforce.

haha a cop followed me to work then pulled me at the parking lot at 8 am and asked if I was racing because I have a roll cage on and only one seat. Also asked if I had NOS......messed up. haha
Old 02-24-2005, 02:35 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
When you get a state ref ticket there is a sticker on the back of the ticket with a number to call to setup an appointment. I called them on tuesday and got an appointment for thursday morning at 8am. My engine was 100% stock. When i arrived they popped my hood and looked to see if i had any modifications under there. Then they proceded to check for a front and rear o2 sensor. Then they checked under the car to see that i had a catalyic converter. I believe if i had an aftermarket uppipe i could get by because they didnt look down into the engine. The guy also mentioned he was glad i didnt have an aftermarket header, he said a wrx was in the other day with an all stock car except for that and he had to fail him. After the visual inspection they connected a cable to the obd2 port and then put a probe in the exhaust. Held the revs at 3k for about 30 seconds then finished that test. Then they attached something to the gas tank and ran that test for about 15 seconds, not sure what that was measuring. After that they check to see if my CEL light was on and that was it. Paid the $30 for the inspection + $8.25 for the certificate. Total time from when i pulled in to leaving the test station was about 35 minutes.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:57 PM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
Did you find a stock inlet hose or did they let you by with the Perrin one?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 wrx, 05 Elise, 14 Impreza, 17 brz coming soon
gas tank - if they attached something to the cap, they were seeing if your cap could hold the pressure
Old 02-24-2005, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Racenut
Did you find a stock inlet hose or did they let you by with the Perrin one?
I ended up cutting a piece of plastic slightly larger than the hole that was in the stock inlet from the rear piece i removed. Then i took some epoxy and sealed it to the inlet and then painted over the epoxy so it was black like the inlet. I'm not sure if the epoxy will hold forever with the heat in that area but so far its holding strong. I'm only going to drive the car for another couple days with the inlet before i start taking all the parts off to install the new ones.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:42 PM

Congrats on the pass...Now go get ur S*** on and installed and ready for April 16th
Old 02-24-2005, 03:57 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Thanks for the write up.

Originally Posted by dan avoN7
...Then they checked under the car to see that i had a catalyic converter...
It seems like a cat back exhaust might have passed this test then?
Nothing to measure sound levels?
Old 02-24-2005, 04:03 PM

i'm not 100% sure if the catback would pass. It didnt look like they had anything to measure for sound but that might be just because i had the stock catback on. I switched back to the stock catback last night because i didnt want to have any reason for them to fail me.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:10 PM
The weal amewican hewo!

Car Info: 02 Aspen White sedan
if i were to put back the stock catback and downpipe, but leave my v7 tmic and vf30 on would i fail...just curious if a major overhaul needs to be taken if you have to go the ref...hey davon you're running xede still right??? the car doesnt trip out does it if you were to temporarily take parts off just for the check...
Old 02-24-2005, 08:00 PM

for sure you would pass with the vf30, i put all heatshields back on the car but they didnt even look at the turbo and i doubt they would even be able to tell the difference between the two. STi top mount would also probably pass, if they did question it just say you spray painted it on with a stencil I removed the xede from the car because i've been running stock injectors, uppipe, downpipe, etc... for the past couple months.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:08 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
congrats on the pass!
Old 02-25-2005, 08:19 AM

Car Info: 05 LegacyGT,06 Black STI Will be home Soon
thanks for the detailed info, this will help alot of us out!! Now you have to install that beast and give us numbers. GL with everything
Old 02-28-2005, 01:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
thanks for the writeup. it almost sounds like a slightly more involved smog check.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:23 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver STi
I just got pulled over too

I was driving home at night approx 9pm on highway 1, like a month ago now. A CHP pulled on to the freeway along side of me, I was in the middle of the three lanes. I was going to the speed limit. He then stayed along side of me for a min. He then accelerated to the side of the road, when I passed, he pulled back on the highway with lights on.

I got sited for no front plate and tinted windows. Also questioned about mod. exhaust after telling him that the exhaust is stock, his response was well it looks modified.

My response to this hole mess. Got the tint taken off, the ticket signed off, then the tint reapplied darker! I wanted the tint darker from the start, this was just the excuse.

I dont know how he could tell I was even tinted, it was dark out and I had turned my screen off when I saw him pulling on the freeway. So there was no cabin light to show the tint.

It bug's me.

This is the second time I got pulled over doing nothing wrong. The other time, I was on the side of the road for 1/2 an hour while the officer lectured me about my driving habits. He I guess saw me speeding a day or so prior?? I dont know.

It has to be the stupid spoiler. The only thing I could come up with.

Quick Reply: 65mph in a 65 = no front plate and state ref