500 million dollar loan to telsa from feds, obammer

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:42 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by brucelee
I saw one on the road about a month or so ago, and to be honest, I couldn't BELIEVE I was actually seeing one on the road! Who in their right minds is going to spend over 100k on a ill-performing electric car that looks like a mild super car? Yes, it looks nice, and it looks like it would go fast, but it doesn't, it doesn't even take gas! It's an electric car that gets low miles per charge, and doesn't perform all that well, which is something you would expect a car of that price and look to have, but it's anything but a performing car... and with a price tag in the area of a high end Porsche, NSX, and high end benz's... Then you can compare it to cars that are soooo much better for a fraction of it's cost, like an STi, or EVO... And even a new GTR!!! All these cars will own the Tesla in every department minus the gas mileage of course, but if you're going to spend 100k on an electric car, you can afford to buy a GTR and fill up almost every day and still be saving money! Not to mention the fact that you're not really saving the environment due to the fact that electric cars take A LOT of polluting resources then standard internal combustion cars, and to top it all off, the batteries that the electric car uses will stay on earth FOREVER! They will sit in a toxic landfill for as long as this earth exists, so in the end the electric car is much worse for the earth then a standard internal combustion car, like an STi or something.

If you look at the big picture you'll see why the Tesla is an utter and complete failure.
Lets look at it's major benefits:
1. It looks cool
2. It doesn't consume gas!

Now lets look at the cons:
1. It's VERY expensive, around 100k
2. It has very poor performance stats and doesn't live up to its looks at all
3. It gets very little mileage out of a single charge which can be a major problem to some, depending on where you're driving.
4. It isn't as "clean" as many like to think. Production of the batteries that power the car is very dirty, it uses A LOT of resources that pollute the earth in doing so.
5. After the batteries are spent, they will sit in a land fill and pollute the earth forever. That battery will sit there until the earth dies which is a nasty truth that car makers don't want you to know.

So in the end, the negatives outweigh the positives and make this car into something that's VERY impractical and after everything is said and done, the car's main selling point of it being a clean car is diminished when you think about how the car is produced and what happens to the car after it's life is over.

I'd much rather have a GTR over a Tesla. Not only will you have a much better car, but you'll be able to afford all the gas that you could possibly use with the money that you'll be saving by getting the GTR over the Telsa.

Cliff notes: The Tesla might have a GREAT name, but that's about the only great thing it possesses.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Roadster

In February 2009, Road and Track tested a production vehicle, and independently confirmed what they called "extravagant claims", that the Roadster had a 4.0 s 0-60 mph acceleration and a 200-mile range. They said the Roadster felt like "an over-ballasted Lotus Elise", but that the weight was well-distributed, so the car remained responsive. "Fit and finish of our Tesla were exemplary", which Road and Track thought fit the target market. Overall, they considered it a "delight" to drive.[85]

Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson reviewed the Tesla Roadster with the v1.5 transmission and described the driving experience with the exclamations "God almighty!", "Wave goodbye to the world of dial-up, and say hello to the world of broadband motoring!" and "This car is Biblically quick!" when comparing the acceleration versus a Lotus Elise. Halfway through the review, however, Clarkson simulated the experience one might get when the charge falls below the safe level but failed to explain during the programme that the failure was merely a simulation.[86] The Top Gear team calculated that their extremely demanding driving (which Top Gear is famous for putting cars through) would deplete the charge after 53 miles.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:45 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by psoper
Dude, you are so off I can hardly believe it- B. Franklin had been dead for 150 years before N. Tesla was even born.

Nobody can "patent" electricity- and nobody has, it is a force of nature that was here before humans even existed.
Technically the force is electromagnetism, and electricity was discovered by a Greek by the name of Thales, largely regarded as the first philosopher.

Last edited by saqwarrior; 06-25-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:59 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
ARRRGGHHH!!!!! you kids have NO IDEA about even recent history, for cryin' out loud!
THAT SONG WAS A COVER FROM 1970!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signs_(...cal_Band_song))

The only parts Tesla "wrote" were where they put the word '" f&*%in'" in.

Hahahahahahaaaa!!!

I cringed when I read his post, too, Pete.

Originally Posted by saqwarrior
Technically the force is electromagnetism, and electricity was discovered by a Greek by the name of Thales, largely regarded as the first philosopher.
Which do you subscribe to: Right Hand Rule, Left Hand Rule, or Magic Smoke Theory?
Old 06-25-2009, 01:40 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Originally Posted by East Bay STI
I think Tesla was right when they wrote that song, Signs signs, everywhere there signs.
ARRRGGHHH!!!!! you kids have NO IDEA about even recent history, for cryin' out loud!

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned

I cringed when I read his post, too, Pete.
Even I know that. I didn't even know Tesla covered that song. This thread is full of wrong information.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:48 PM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
I agree this thread fails.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
^
+1
Old 06-25-2009, 02:28 PM

Car Info: 99RS-T
LOL! psoper please keep the ownage commin +1

To some others: These forums are a great place to spout off but jeez do some research.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:48 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
I see this happen so much today lol I hear younger people saying ohh kick *** song and I say um that's a remake from before you were born rofl. Or I will bring up songs and get a huh? lol

Old 06-25-2009, 02:50 PM
08.11.84 - 02.14.10

Car Info: a center diff that is going...
Originally Posted by Gibz
I see this happen so much today lol I hear younger people saying ohh kick *** song and I say um that's a remake from before you were born rofl. Or I will bring up songs and get a huh? lol
you see it all the time from people like me who have no clue what certain songs are or when we go i have never heard of that band...
Old 06-25-2009, 02:55 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
haha yes you are one of the people I am talking about
Old 06-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by ipozestu
LMAO. Pete thank you for being the voice of reason. I read that post and was like "WTF is he talking about." Dan what grade did you get on that paper?
hahahah, yeah, sorry about that, I got all backwards on too many beers.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:58 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
E-waste aside, the Tesla is an awesome performance car. A seamlessly accelerating Elise=fun

But I would never buy a car without a clutch/shiftknob so there
Old 06-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
Whoa, are we talking about the same Tesla here? Is this a new model or something? When the Tesla first came out I remember it being really crappy in performance... I was at they're dealer and talking to the sales guy... Man, I got pwn3d...
Old 06-25-2009, 10:12 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
FYI, this money had already been allocated to the Energy Department for this specific purpose which was approved by congress in 2007. Tesla applied for this long ago, why they waited till now to approve the loan is beyond me.

Tesla has some good technology, but poor planning. However, at this point I'm happy that this will at least open up some more jobs here in CA.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:23 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
you mean you weren't talking about this hot piece of A?

Quick Reply: 500 million dollar loan to telsa from feds, obammer