500 million dollar loan to telsa from feds, obammer

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 03:00 AM

500 million dollar loan to telsa from feds, obammer

Sweet. They are loaning them the money so they can build a lower cost 80 thousand dollar before mark up.........that way we can all jumpstart the economy..............woooohoooo
Old 06-25-2009, 03:05 AM

Car Info: 2015 SWP WRX
**** this bs!!! our economy blows
Old 06-25-2009, 03:35 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
wow putting more money to good use i see.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
I saw one on the road about a month or so ago, and to be honest, I couldn't BELIEVE I was actually seeing one on the road! Who in their right minds is going to spend over 100k on a ill-performing electric car that looks like a mild super car? Yes, it looks nice, and it looks like it would go fast, but it doesn't, it doesn't even take gas! It's an electric car that gets low miles per charge, and doesn't perform all that well, which is something you would expect a car of that price and look to have, but it's anything but a performing car... and with a price tag in the area of a high end Porsche, NSX, and high end benz's... Then you can compare it to cars that are soooo much better for a fraction of it's cost, like an STi, or EVO... And even a new GTR!!! All these cars will own the Tesla in every department minus the gas mileage of course, but if you're going to spend 100k on an electric car, you can afford to buy a GTR and fill up almost every day and still be saving money! Not to mention the fact that you're not really saving the environment due to the fact that electric cars take A LOT of polluting resources then standard internal combustion cars, and to top it all off, the batteries that the electric car uses will stay on earth FOREVER! They will sit in a toxic landfill for as long as this earth exists, so in the end the electric car is much worse for the earth then a standard internal combustion car, like an STi or something.

If you look at the big picture you'll see why the Tesla is an utter and complete failure.
Lets look at it's major benefits:
1. It looks cool
2. It doesn't consume gas!

Now lets look at the cons:
1. It's VERY expensive, around 100k
2. It has very poor performance stats and doesn't live up to its looks at all
3. It gets very little mileage out of a single charge which can be a major problem to some, depending on where you're driving.
4. It isn't as "clean" as many like to think. Production of the batteries that power the car is very dirty, it uses A LOT of resources that pollute the earth in doing so.
5. After the batteries are spent, they will sit in a land fill and pollute the earth forever. That battery will sit there until the earth dies which is a nasty truth that car makers don't want you to know.

So in the end, the negatives outweigh the positives and make this car into something that's VERY impractical and after everything is said and done, the car's main selling point of it being a clean car is diminished when you think about how the car is produced and what happens to the car after it's life is over.

I'd much rather have a GTR over a Tesla. Not only will you have a much better car, but you'll be able to afford all the gas that you could possibly use with the money that you'll be saving by getting the GTR over the Telsa.

Cliff notes: The Tesla might have a GREAT name, but that's about the only great thing it possesses.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:19 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Tesla ****ing rocks!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:27 AM

^^^

Not only does Tesla rock, but the original Croatian man-genius, Nikola Tesla friggin rocked even more! It sucks that Benjamin Franklin stole Tesla's idea and got the patent before Tesla could do it... Tesla had electricity well before Franklin, but Franklin jumped the gun and patented electricity before Tesla and now gets all the credit for it...There's more to it then just that, and AC/DC (who also rock) currents and the details behind it, but technically Tesla still was the original man behind electricity, and it sucks that he doesn't get the credit for it, but rather the thief Benjamin Franklin does!

<---- Big fan of Nikola Tesla, did a huge report on him in college and his life was AMAZING! If you get a chance to read about him, I highly suggest it, things you wouldn't ever imagine are in his bio.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:48 AM

Car Info: Smokin' Joe
^^^ yeah..the gf is a huge fan.. she made us name our puppy Tesla.

he was in love with a pigeon..
Old 06-25-2009, 08:53 AM

pigeon = rat of the sky.

He was also said to be a hermaphrodite.
(That's a rumor I've heard a few times, no idea if it's true)
Old 06-25-2009, 09:11 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by brucelee
^^^

Not only does Tesla rock, but the original Croatian man-genius, Nikola Tesla friggin rocked even more! It sucks that Benjamin Franklin stole Tesla's idea and got the patent before Tesla could do it... Tesla had electricity well before Franklin, but Franklin jumped the gun and patented electricity before Tesla and now gets all the credit for it...There's more to it then just that, and AC/DC (who also rock) currents and the details behind it, but technically Tesla still was the original man behind electricity, and it sucks that he doesn't get the credit for it, but rather the thief Benjamin Franklin does!

<---- Big fan of Nikola Tesla, did a huge report on him in college and his life was AMAZING! If you get a chance to read about him, I highly suggest it, things you wouldn't ever imagine are in his bio.

Dude, you are so off I can hardly believe it- B. Franklin had been dead for 150 years before N. Tesla was even born.

Nobody can "patent" electricity- and nobody has, it is a force of nature that was here before humans even existed.

I appreciate your admiration for your fellow Croatian's genius, but could you please quit slagging on our American founding father please, and please have a clue about what you are talking about.

Marconi and Edison were Tesla's contemporaries, Marconi borrowed Tesla's concepts and was issued a patent on wireless communication, which was later overturned and awarded to Tesla, Edison waged a long hard battle promoting DC rather than AC for electrical power distribution, but Tesla and his benefactor Westinghouse won that one too.

As for the Tesla Roadster- I'd say 200-250 miles is a pretty decent range, 0-60 in under 4 seconds is quicker than pretty much anything else you can get for under 100 grand, and when gas gets back up around $5/gallon, I'd much rather have one of those to tool around the bay area with than either of my gas burners.

Anybody who has 100G to spend on a 2 seater probably has another car or two for trips out of state anyway.

If I could afford one I'd have one.

Oh and this loan isn't for building more roadsters, it is so they can ramp up their new electric 4 seater which is supposed to come in under 50G, a little more practical and more affordable.

Last edited by psoper; 06-25-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:42 AM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.

Just a side note - if you don't like Ben Franklin - you can just GTFO of the USA. By far, one of our wisest founding fathers.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:51 AM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
Was going to say, but someone hit it first: Benjamin Franklin was born way before Tesla, Edison was the major competitor and was thought to have stolen ideas from Tesla.

Originally Posted by brucelee
^^^

Old 06-25-2009, 09:56 AM
08.11.84 - 02.14.10

Car Info: a center diff that is going...
as for the loan going to tesla. there is a cnn article about the major auto loans obama is handing out. it should help auto makers retool and revamp production of fuel efficient cars.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/06/23/t...ars/index.html
Old 06-25-2009, 09:56 AM

Car Info: 06 Subaru
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_discov...icity_and_when
Old 06-25-2009, 10:02 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX wagon
Tesla is 1 block from my work.

The guys in the Palo Alto hills that are buying them up could care less about the price. They just want whats new & different.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by psoper
Dude, you are so off I can hardly believe it- B. Franklin had been dead for 150 years before N. Tesla was even born.

Nobody can "patent" electricity- and nobody has, it is a force of nature that was here before humans even existed.

I appreciate your admiration for your fellow Croatian's genius, but could you please quit slagging on our American founding father please, and please have a clue about what you are talking about.

Marconi and Edison were Tesla's contemporaries, Marconi borrowed Tesla's concepts and was issued a patent on wireless communication, which was later overturned and awarded to Tesla, Edison waged a long hard battle promoting DC rather than AC for electrical power distribution, but Tesla and his benefactor Westinghouse won that one too.

As for the Tesla Roadster- I'd say 200-250 miles is a pretty decent range, 0-60 in under 4 seconds is quicker than pretty much anything else you can get for under 100 grand, and when gas gets back up around $5/gallon, I'd much rather have one of those to tool around the bay area with than either of my gas burners.

Anybody who has 100G to spend on a 2 seater probably has another car or two for trips out of state anyway.

If I could afford one I'd have one.

Oh and this loan isn't for building more roadsters, it is so they can ramp up their new electric 4 seater which is supposed to come in under 50G, a little more practical and more affordable.

Sorry, that was from memory based of a report I did about 10 years ago... Damn old age screwing with my memory... I'm too lazy to look it up and re-learn it right now.

I know he invented the AC generator... I always get Edison and Franklin mixed up, ALWAYS, it never fails! Dammit, no idea why!

Last edited by brucelee; 06-25-2009 at 10:17 AM.

Quick Reply: 500 million dollar loan to telsa from feds, obammer