32" 1080p samsung LCD at FRY's For $799

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 02:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Yeah, you'll find that since nearly all sources are transmitted in 60hz at a broadcast standard that the 120hz interpolation plays tricks on your mind. It looks smoother, but doesn't look right at the same time, and that just makes your head spin!
I've heard that it makes movies look like soap operas.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:13 PM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Originally Posted by evsoul
^^really they are.
They have the vast majority of the world's consumers convinced that their 1's and 0's are better than everyone elses.
I just get KnuKonceptz stuff instead of Monster Cable.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by ryball
I've heard that it makes movies look like soap operas.
Yes it does, but with the wrong kind of motion.

Film and Video are two VERY different things, and if a film looks like video, you've done something wrong! But I just might be traditional in this sense.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Yea occasionally the way the people move on screen looks really funny. Almost like they are in front of me and I can touch them. Not like a typical TV shows them.

What about the 120Hz hooked up to the PS3? Should I have it off for that when I'm playing or watching a Blu-Ray?
Old 08-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
Yea occasionally the way the people move on screen looks really funny. Almost like they are in front of me and I can touch them. Not like a typical TV shows them.

What about the 120Hz hooked up to the PS3? Should I have it off for that when I'm playing or watching a Blu-Ray?
You'll want to turn it off always to be honest.

Also turn down sharpness, noise reduction, and other things in the advanced menus. Dynamic black is ok, but everything else should be off.

Set the color to medium/normal (6500k color temp)

These steps help make the TV look much more natural, and more correct.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn

Again if its running 60mhz you will not notice a "smoother" image with anything higher really.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Yes it does, but with the wrong kind of motion.

Film and Video are two VERY different things, and if a film looks like video, you've done something wrong! But I just might be traditional in this sense.
No, you are right.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:26 AM

it's ****ing horse****... a $3 hdmi cable at 6ft will do ANYTHING a $100 monster cable will do so long as you aren't trying to run TrueHD/DTS-HD audio + Deep Color out of a bluray player AT THE SAME TIME. this is the key here folks... those two at the same time REQUIRE you to have a higher bandwidth cable, otherwise typically called an HDMI 1.3 certified cable.

Otherwise it's wasted bandwidth. HDMI connection issue usually lead back to defective cables (seen more defect monster cables than i cared to count) and price of cable does not mean quality of cable.

When it comes to signal testing our testing (and also Audioholics testing) shows that you'll find more cheap cables have more errors in the tests vs expensive cables, however, real world testing shows that those same cables that have "poor" transmission in the test show to work fine at 1080P at 50ft!

So, this tells us that it's all in the individual cable, and if that's the case, why pay hundreds for 1 cable when a much cheaper cable will more than likely take care of you just fine.

Remember that digital signals are digital, they either make it, or they don't. You typically don't see a degraded signal like you would over analog cables.

With analog cables you should buy the best built cables you can afford, ie: thicker, with more shielding and a thicker solid copper or silver cores.
Cool, well the fact is China makes ****ty stuff. I'm glad you guys do a lot of testing but so do we, I can show you a ****ty hdmi cable if you'd like, and the difference between it and another cheap one that is better. It's very easy to see.
Also on a side note do you guys test comcast or anything? Or only dvd's. Because for a lot of people dvd watching is like 5% of the tv's usage. Pretty limited, and in my opinion some of the samsungs look best for the hi def channels. Sony's obviously no slouch either but not cheap.

I will get the model of the 2 diff cables
Old 08-15-2008, 12:00 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by evsoul
How can that be true. Either the receiver understands the digital signal of the strings of 1's and 0's or it doesn't.

There is absolutely no in between. Only analog is affected like that.

The digital receiver never tries to "translate" a possible iffy signal. If it doesn't know what the signal is.. then you get no display. And if it knows what the signal is but its very faint it still provides the same picture that a 100% perfect signal would. Because if it knows the signal is

11001101010101101010101010101001010101010101010101 0
10101010101010100101010101010101010101010100101010 1

if its faint... it doesn't matter it will still know the difference between a 1 and a 0.

This is true no matter what your experience is, sorry but scientific fact is more reliable than someones opinion on what they've experienced.

My buddy runs tests on this stuff all the time and has shown me signal sheets proving that a $3 cable on amazon performed the same as the $120 monster cable from best buy... even when they applied tons of interference to the cable.

I'm glad you mentioned that (with the caveat Gagan mentioned a few posts up). A lot of the myths today in electronics are things that applied to analog signals but persisted, largely because most people who work and are enthusiasts in electronics never had formal background.

It's a big problem in the car world too. Most obvious being "horsepower vs. torque" <--- comes from too many 'experts' being mechanics and hobbiests having no fundamental science/engineering background and making up their own physics theories based on their experiences.

That being said, another caveat to what you mentioned is that with quality, badly designed transmission lines are going to have wandering due to capacitance. This will cause the ground level to change, and 101010 could well end up being read as 11111. That's probably what the poster you refered to was speaking about: low cost items tend to have lower assembly quality (big generalization here of course), and lower assembly quality leads to defects such as solder joints failing, insulation wearing down, etc. etc. events which can lead to decreases in quality, even with digital transmissions

Last edited by verc; 08-15-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by slow04wrx
Cool, well the fact is China makes ****ty stuff. I'm glad you guys do a lot of testing but so do we, I can show you a ****ty hdmi cable if you'd like, and the difference between it and another cheap one that is better. It's very easy to see.
Also on a side note do you guys test comcast or anything? Or only dvd's. Because for a lot of people dvd watching is like 5% of the tv's usage. Pretty limited, and in my opinion some of the samsungs look best for the hi def channels. Sony's obviously no slouch either but not cheap.

I will get the model of the 2 diff cables
Test comcast? Why, they have to fit all channels on the bandwidth of a single RG6 cable... COMPRESSION city!

Sat you are only tuning 7-15 channels at a time but taking certain transponder frequencies at a time... less compression than cable.

Not all Chinese made stuff is cheap. Just look at our stuff. Look up Oppo on Google. And we've tested this crap to death so again:

$ has nothing to do with the cable. Expensive cables tend to pass the numbers testing better than cheaper ones, but when you actually use them with devices typically find the more expensive cables, especially in the longer runs, fail more often.

So again, testing the numbers doesn't mean ****. If expensive cable has a 99.5% error free vs cheap cable being 70% error free, but both cables work, what does it matter??? Especially when in real testing the more expensive cable is failing real world tests at getting a solid connection.

So if the above it true, which it is based on our testing and that of audioholics (two separate tests), then why pay more for cable that may fail anyways!? Just go for the cheaper cable, the one that tends to work more often.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by verc
I'm glad you mentioned that (with the caveat Gagan mentioned a few posts up). A lot of the myths today in electronics are things that applied to analog signals but persisted, largely because most people who work and are enthusiasts in electronics never had formal background.

It's a big problem in the car world too. Most obvious being "horsepower vs. torque" <--- comes from too many 'experts' being mechanics and hobbiests having no fundamental science/engineering background and making up their own physics theories based on their experiences.

That being said, another caveat to what you mentioned is that with quality, badly designed transmission lines are going to have wandering due to capacitance. This will cause the ground level to change, and 101010 could well end up being read as 11111. That's probably what the poster you refered to was speaking about: low cost items tend to have lower assembly quality (big generalization here of course), and lower assembly quality leads to defects such as solder joints failing, insulation wearing down, etc. etc. events which can lead to decreases in quality, even with digital transmissions
I find that funny because the more expensive mass market cables such as monster cable are made in much larger quantities, so it's my opinion that they would have a higher fail rate. Such is my observation as well.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by rubaCU
I picked up a 42" Panasonic (TH-42PX80U) from BB for $900 on Monday.

There's a bunch of hoops that you could do on Sunday for the TV, a Phillips HTIB and TV installation for $700 that was posted on slick deals, but I was too late (things sold out, installed too late to use mail-in rebate), so I snagged it still for $900.

Got one of the last ones in the area. I thought it wasn't too bad of a price...
http://newspaperads.mercurynews.com/...22952656&type=

Go Go Go!

Great deal on a 42PZ80U! $1100!
Old 08-15-2008, 02:21 PM

Car Info: '04 ed tuned vf39 jbp wagon
ha ha...thanks for the PM

it's only $250 more than I paid (the $900 was the OTD price)...

killer deal for sho
Old 08-15-2008, 02:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX

Go Go Go!

Edited

Last edited by glenspen; 08-15-2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Never mind, I read the advert wrong!
Old 08-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Old School

Go Go Go!

The above deal is only good through sunday. Monday new deals start, so get it while you can!

Quick Reply: 32" 1080p samsung LCD at FRY's For $799