30K service at carlsen, why so $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 11:55 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX Silver
30K service at carlsen, why so $$$?

Hey,

So its that time for me to do the 30k service. I got 32k on the car and i figure its time to bring it in.

I called up carlsen, and they quoted me $650 w/o a coupon, or $550 with coupon..

Wtf is the deal? Mostly its just filters/fluids changes... I don't see what can cost so much money.. is there something I'm missing?

Is there any bargaining power that I have to drive the price down? I tried, but they won't budge... And I don't know if I have the energy to do all of the stuff myself....

Any suggestions?

--Dima
Old 09-19-2003, 12:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 RS, Subrosa Letum
I took mine to AutoWest in Roseville and they charged me $450 with no coupon. I suggest going elswhere.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:14 PM

Car Info: Not a WRX any more . . .
I've heard Santa Cruz charges a lot less.

One time a Toyota dealer charged my wife $150 to change a headlight, another charged me $150 to "diagnose" the problem I told them it had when I brought it in (in addition to the charge to actually do the work I asked them to do) -- dealer prices are not particularly tied to reality, and they tend to be pretty inflexible, most likely the person you talked to could not change the price, I had to talk to managers in both of the above cases. So shop around.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Vehicle: 2003 IMPREZA WRX SEDAN
Interval: 30000 miles / 30 month service

Action Description

Inspect Steering and suspension

Inspect Clutch operation

Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system

Inspect Brake linings and drums

Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions

Replace Brake fluid

Inspect Automatic transmission fluid

Inspect Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil)

Replace Spark plugs

Replace Air cleaner element

Recommended Performance Replace fuel filter and inspect fuel system, hoses and connections

Perform Replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections

Replace Engine oil filter

Replace Engine oil

Inspect Camshaft drive belt

Inspect Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft]
It looks like you get a whole lot of inspecting and not a whole lot of fixing. I would see if they have a coupon for a free 27 point inspection, then have them change out your fluids
Old 09-19-2003, 01:21 PM

Car Info: 2011 SWP STI
If you don't mind driving go to Maita Subaru in Sac, they charged me $300.

With the money you save you can spend it on gas to get there
Old 09-19-2003, 02:12 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX Silver
sonicsuby: LOL.. seriously Considering I am changing the brakes this weekend, thats like 5 points off.. Now they need a 22 point inspection

I'm in Mountain View, so driving up to Sac is not exactly my idea of a fun weekend I might give subaru of SC a call... Its only a 30-45 min drive... Plus 17 is always fun

Thanks for the heads up....

I'm actually going in to Carlsen on Monday for the clutch/flywheel warranty issue.... So i'll ***** and moan with the management and see what they can do...

If I wasn't so lazy, i'd do most of it myself.. but alas... no such luck

Thanks guys...

--Dima
Old 09-19-2003, 11:48 PM

Car Info: 2017 WRB WRX Premium
Do the 30k service yourself and save $400. Just save your receipts for warranty. That's what I have done. Coolant,, radiator cap, spark plugs, fuel filter, engine oil and filter so far. Next brake, transmission and differential fluids, and I am done. Screw paying $550 to SOA.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
Old 09-20-2003, 10:48 AM

There is also a difference between the requirements according to the manual, and what is listed in the dealer schedule.

I emailed SOA about this. I don't have a copy of their response, but basically they said that the dealer's schedule all contained useful stuff, but that you could try asking them to do the basic work listed in the manual.

If you think Subaru is bad, try owning/servicing a BMW.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:05 PM

Car Info: Saab 9-5
It's all about the labor charge. At $100 or higher rate per hour, major services (30K or 60K) won't be cheap at any dealer. When I was calling all the lexus dealers for my wife's RX300 60K service, the quote ranged from $550 to $950. It's basically oil and filter change, tire rotation, and bunch of inspections. It's legal robbery! Fortunately, I know a reliable local mechanic and had the service done with him for less than $100. I am not cheap but I just don't want to pay anything or service over it's fair market value.

If you know some good local mechanic you can trust, go for it. Good luck.