30,000 miles in the bay

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 03:55 PM

Car Info: 2008 Subaru WRX 5-door
Ok yea, $300 is very low... but I'm at 34000 miles and the difference between saving 300 for it and 600 for it is at least a month [i think i have like 100 right now that i can swing that way, i was hoping to do it near the end of this month]...

if i save up for a few months, i could be closer to 3700, and that doesn't seem like a good idea...

I've always had a great experience from justin over at capital subaru, and with that coupon posted it brings it down to $485. That may just be what I have to do...

It's not that I don't want to go to LIC, but between the time and the gas, its just not realistic for me. I probably should have bought a cheaper car so I would have more for mods and upkeep, but I didn't and I have to deal with what I got.

Superglue, this thread is about 30k service in the bay area... so how come people can't help us both?

about how much does speed element charge?
Old 02-09-2009, 03:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Shops cars: 07 STI & 07 Lotus Exige S
Skaunit and Ebolamonkey,

I'll take care of both of you fellas on the 30k major service for $375 each.

This price does not include Denso Iridium spark plugs. If you want to change your plugs along with the 30k, the cost will be $525..

I'll do a special this week, I'll take 3 more people at this price (5 people total)..

pm me to confirm!

1. Ebolamonkey
2. Skaunit

-bryan

Last edited by AutoHQ; 02-09-2009 at 03:23 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Originally Posted by 415er
when i went there to buy some gaskets and bolts for my uppipe/downpipe, this mechanic came out and i saw his name tag. same as the business cards on the counter so i assumed this guy was a lead mechanic or something. i told him i have a wrx, he said "alright, .... do you have a turbo?" WHAT!?!
He isn't a mechanic. He's a back counter guy. You have to understand that there are new people that have to learn the product better. I cleaned house when I got here. Gonna take a bit of time.

If you show up Mon-Fri ask for Ryan. Otherwise Chris (demonpossed) will help you Saturdays.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:59 AM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by AutoHQ
Skaunit and Ebolamonkey,

This price does not include Denso Iridium spark plugs. If you want to change your plugs along with the 30k, the cost will be $525..

I'll do a special this week, I'll take 3 more people at this price (5 people total)..

pm me to confirm!

1. Ebolamonkey
2. Skaunit

-bryan
in for the SWOOP!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:06 AM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
Originally Posted by AutoHQ
Skaunit and Ebolamonkey,

pm me to confirm!

1. Ebolamonkey
2. Skaunit

-bryan
How can you do the job correct without being around, cleaning/checking the spark plugs?

Or are those spark plugs $150.00 ???

You can not charge more labor to change plugs if you already have the plugs out during the clean and inspect. You can only charge the cost of the part.

Does the 30k require anything with spark plugs?
Yes it does. So by not changing them you would in fact not have a warrenty aproved service. To keep your warrnety. The work doesnt need to be done by a dealer. But a detailed work order needs to be kept on what has been done to maintain your car.

Skipping any part of the factory outline service can be cause for voiding certain parts if a failure should happen.

But bryan / AutoHQ.
Can you fill us in on this $150 for spark plugs?
If you sell a 30k service for $375
But its not a full 30k service?
For $150 more it would then be a full 30k service?

So are you just discouting labor to get people in the door?
or are you doing less work that is required for the 30k service?

Skipping any part of the factory outline service can be cause for voiding certain parts if a failure should happen.

By law the 30k service you are selling these guys includes the labor replacing the sparkplugs. Which would make those plugs very expensive.

Unless like I posted above you are short cutting the work to cut costs.

--------------------------------------------
Moral of the story people?
1# You get what you pay for
2# If a shop is willing to discount themselfs on cost they are cutting something out somewhere.
3# Do you really want to have someone discounting/taking short cuts on your car?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:19 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Plugs are NOT required on a 30k for turbo and 3.0L cars. That interval is 60k. Unless it is a 2002 which does require plugs at 30k.

Check the factory schedules here:
http://www.subaru.com/owners/schedul...sp?from=topNav
Old 02-09-2009, 10:45 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
I drive to LIC from Monterey!
no one has ever accused you of being a genius
Old 02-09-2009, 11:07 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by I<3subie
How can you do the job correct without being around, cleaning/checking the spark plugs?

You can not charge more labor to change plugs if you already have the plugs out during the clean and inspect. You can only charge the cost of the part.

Yes it does. So by not changing them you would in fact not have a warrenty aproved service. To keep your warrnety. The work doesnt need to be done by a dealer. But a detailed work order needs to be kept on what has been done to maintain your car.

But bryan / AutoHQ.

By law the 30k service you are selling these guys includes the labor replacing the sparkplugs. Which would make those plugs very expensive.

2# If a shop is willing to discount themselfs on cost they are cutting something out somewhere.
3# Do you really want to have someone discounting/taking short cuts on your car?
List price on spark plugs is ~$30 each and they are changed every 60k.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by irrational x
I'm pretty sure the same can be said for you buddy

If you lived 2.5 hours from Paul, and you felt that no one else in that distance offered the same level of quality that you've experienced from Paul, where would you get work done?

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 02-09-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:56 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
I'm pretty sure the same can be said for you buddy

If you lived 2.5 hours from Paul, and you felt that no one else in that distance offered the same level of quality that you've experienced from Paul, where would you get work done?
Your mom?

All kidding aside, there's more to the relationship than cheap price.
My advice to car owners, is to look forward to building a long term relationship with whatever shop you choose.

Trust is paramount in the car owner/shop owner relationship and takes multiple visits (yrs) to establish.

You are to be commended for taking your business to LIC, as they are well worthy of your trust.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by irrational x
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Your mom?

All kidding aside, there's more to the relationship than cheap price.
My advice to car owners, is to look forward to building a long term relationship with whatever shop you choose.

Trust is paramount in the car owner/shop owner relationship and takes multiple visits (yrs) to establish.

You are to be commended for taking your business to LIC, as they are well worthy of your trust.
Yup, I shop for quality. If I can't afford what I want at the price quality comes at, Ill wait until I can (unless it's something time-sensitive like mileage based maint, then that's what the credit card is for) I'm just unclear as to why irrational was attack my intelligence for making the drive for quality. Maybe it wasn't a rational comment

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 02-09-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Shops cars: 07 STI & 07 Lotus Exige S

But bryan / AutoHQ.

Michael,

We are giving a full 30k major service for $375. I am cutting out some labor costs for the special.
Concerning spark plugs $35 each.
Plugs are not necessary at 30k, it is only if someone wants to have them changed.

-bryan

Last edited by AutoHQ; 02-09-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:17 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
Service manager 101.

NEVER DISCOUNT LABOR!!! Once that minute is gone you can never get it back. You discount parts.

But hey what ever works for you.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:18 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
i drive to lic from san jose anytime i need service done. i dont mind if i am getting the best service out there
Old 02-09-2009, 01:25 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Service manager 101.

NEVER DISCOUNT LABOR!!! Once that minute is gone you can never get it back. You discount parts.

But hey what ever works for you.
Parts Manager 101 - "Good luck, Mr. Service Manager. You offered the discount, you can deal with the discount."

Quick Reply: 30,000 miles in the bay