26 year old with down syndrome dies in police "custody"

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 04:50 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
26 year old with down syndrome dies in police "custody"

Seems sketchy.

Then in the response letter it says:
"For those who have expressed concern about the work status of the involved deputies, the
three deputies are on Administrative Leave pending the outcome of the investigations.
Procedurally, this was the appropriate decision ONLY after this agency received the cause and
manner of death of Mr. Saylor from the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner"

So from what im getting the police beat a man with down syndrome to death? wow.

Article:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...183111733.html

Letter in response:
http://www.frederickcountymd.gov/doc...1606156541.pdf
Old 02-20-2013, 05:25 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
sounds to me like an open investigation.

I think jumping in and saying they beat him to death is a bit much at this point.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:07 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
What did you think when you first read it?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:12 AM

Car Info: 2008 specB
Originally Posted by Snoopy408
That this is a bull**** blanket statement-

"Cathi Clark Kreis posted, “I am a special education teacher for 20 years and have NEVER met a violent child with Down Syndrome!”

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the times my mom has had to call PD (over her 40 years as a special ed teacher) when one of her students has threatened, thrown things or actually physically struck her. The action of a LEO even touching him may have set him off.

As OMA said, it's an ongoing investigation, that and the only 'witness statement' cited in the article is from a newspaper not a person.

Last edited by SolSurferX; 02-21-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:27 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by SolSurferX
That this is a bull**** blanket statement-

"Cathi Clark Kreis posted, “I am a special education teacher for 20 years and have NEVER met a violent child with Down Syndrome!”

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the times my mom has had to call PD (over her 40 years as a special ed teacher) when one of her students has threatened, thrown things or actually physically struck her. The action of a LEO even touching him may have set him off.

As OMA said, it's an ongoing investigation, that and the only 'witness statement' cited in the article is from a newspaper not a person.
werd.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Snoopy408
Honestly a few things caught my attention.

1. off duty
2. refused to leave
3. that the article was clearly written in a biased manner to insight the views you clearly have.

Now what I think...

1. I was not there and this is clearly being reviewed.

2. It's a damned tragedy.

3. What likely happened.... the man didn't want to leave the theater. He was clearly being difficult as the people felt the need to call the police. He was then asked to leave by 3 men NOT in uniform. He probably did not recognize them as law enforcement therefore making that point of the story pointless. They then restrained him in order to safely get him out of the building. More than likely he didn't understand what was happening to him and freaked the **** out. Probably thought he was being kidnapped or something. In the process of freaking out he may have hurt himself or died from an existing issue. Brain aneurism, stroke, etc.

It was more than likely a very tragic chain of events an no one was really "at fault." But as a rule the media MUST find some terrible person to blame so that the weak society that we are we can find some justice and then move on to the next draw spun in the media before us.

Kinda like this football player that got drunk and drove like a moron and killed his buddy. Guess what... his buddy who was relatively sober got in the car with him and chose not to wear their seat belt. They made very tragic decisions that put their own life at risk but no one seems to remember that fact.

I'm sure the facts in this case will probably show just that... tragic chain of events. I will be very surprised if 3 dudes decided to beat down a man who clearly had downs. Very surprised. And very pissed. If that is indeed what happened then those men deserve whatever fait they receive at the hands of the inmates they'll be sharing cells with when they find out they were leo's. But only then will I make that decision.

So far I don't see video or an witness statements saying the 3 of them beat the guy to death.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
I doubt the police beat the guy. Especially if he died from asphyxia.

He probably started hyperventilating. That could be the "medical emergency".

The story I saw (posted on FB) is that the guy wanted to stay and watch the movie again. Then a theater employee asked him to leave. That employee escalated the situation by getting the off duty police. The FB story was rather sensational and made the point that this guy basically dies for an $11 movie ticket.

Yes, it's tragic and sucks. But I don't think there was any foul play. Just a series of unfortunate events.

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 02-21-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
I doubt the police beat the guy. Especially if he died from asphyxia.

He probably started hyperventilating. That could be the "medical emergency".

The story I saw (posted on FB) is that the guy wanted to stay and watch the movie again. Then a theater employee asked him to leave. That employee escalated the situation by getting the off duty police. The FB story was rather sensational and made the point that this guy basically dies for an $11 movie ticket.

Yes, it's tragic and sucks. But I don't think there was any foul play. Just a series of unfortunate events.

That was kind of where I went with my thought process. The employee should have just realized that the dude had downs and the theater was going to empty anyways and just let it go.

I'm sure most of the time I snuck in to theaters as a youth the employees knew what was going down and just didn't care.

Lots of things could have been handled differently. Tragic chain of events.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 PM

Like any sad tragedy, people want someone or something to blame and take out their frustrations or inability to deal with a sad event. So the witch hunt begins.

I don't know about this situation or facts. Just the way the article was written to find blame because something tragic happened.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:36 PM

Car Info: 335i & S1000RR
"The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore has ruled the cause of death as asphyxia and the manner of death as homicide." - Frederick County Sheriff's Office
Old 02-21-2013, 01:49 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Four vs Two
"The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore has ruled the cause of death as asphyxia and the manner of death as homicide." - Frederick County Sheriff's Office
That's a damned tragedy. If this turns out to be something they did intentionally I hope they get the maximum possible penalty. They'll get their due justice in prison once the inmates know who they are.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:07 PM

Car Info: Nadda
What did I think? Really? Christopher Dorners complaint of an officer kicking a mentally ill dude while he's on the ground.

I'm sure this occurs much more than what's reported. In any case, it depends on how severe the person with Down syndrome described.

Could it be possible that the guy was dangerous? Possibly. But this most likely will not pan out well for the officers.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:17 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by iLoqin
What did I think? Really? Christopher Dorners complaint of an officer kicking a mentally ill dude while he's on the ground.

I'm sure this occurs much more than what's reported. In any case, it depends on how severe the person with Down syndrome described.

Could it be possible that the guy was dangerous? Possibly. But this most likely will not pan out well for the officers.
I could give two ****s about what Dorner complained about. We have enough proof of his instability.

This case on the other hand... which is a different case by the way... the report says homicide. Definitely not looking good for the officers. And the fact that they were off duty puts them out there flapping in the wind even more.

They're in deep doo.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:27 PM

Car Info: Nadda
You can give two ****s about the complaint of Dorner or of the other black exofficer that stated he lived through those exact things. But his complaint is pretty similar to this. Whether the officers restrained the person correctly or not, these "chains of events" pretty much killed the dude. Escalating his heart to hyperventilation shocked/startled or whatever the case is was due to "off duty" officers handling of the situation isn't going to look good for them. I see big law suits on this one.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:55 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by iLoqin
You can give two ****s about the complaint of Dorner or of the other black exofficer that stated he lived through those exact things. But his complaint is pretty similar to this. Whether the officers restrained the person correctly or not, these "chains of events" pretty much killed the dude. Escalating his heart to hyperventilation shocked/startled or whatever the case is was due to "off duty" officers handling of the situation isn't going to look good for them. I see big law suits on this one.
You're right. These 3 officers are screwed. Big time.

But this case isn't the Dorner case. This was in Baltimore. Even if the complaints are similar to what happened in this case they have no business being talked about together. One... it was in LA. Two... dorner was fired for false claims. Three... the other officers claims have not been substantiated yet and once again... he's in LA not Baltimore.

That's all I'm saying. The 3 officers in this case are up **** creak for sure. And if the evidence keeps heading in the same direction, these 3 guys are about the biggest POS around.

And yeah... I could give 2 ****s about anything Dorner said. The dude was insane. He had a martyr complex and everything was someone else's fault. He felt like his defense rep failed so he killed the man's daughter. He felt like the LAPD wronged him so he shot officers in riverside. He thought he was screwed over so he was justified in kidnapping people and tying up old men.

I don't put any value in what he says... ZERO. Unless he has video evidence somewhere of his partner beating someone up or evidence of his other claims they're just that... claims. The claims of a nut case that got fired.

You think all these other people that went postal thought they were justified and had been wronged? Of course they did.

This other officer could just be trying to get something for free for all I know. Maybe he wants some attention. Maybe he's telling the truth. He's now got an audience so if he is indeed telling the truth then maybe he can help make some things change.

Right now the only thing I care about is that the 3 guys get what's coming to them. And that the LAPD's actions during the Dorner chase are reviewed. They did not handle it well and it's evident that they need to change a lot of things.

If the other guys claims are true and he has evidence then I hope these reviews bring about some positive change in the department. I think it's fairly obvious that they need to make some serious improvements.

but no... i do not care about what dorner had to say and I do not put anything involved with the Dorner case into this case in baltimore. Different departments different people.

Quick Reply: 26 year old with down syndrome dies in police "custody"