2007 Subaru STi VS 2009 Lexus IS350-F

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:45 AM

Car Info: '06 WRB STI
I have a friend with an IS-F, he maintains that it's a faster car in the quarter mile than an STI. There are additional things you want to think about here.

1. My mostly stock STI weighs in at 3300 lbs.
2. My friend's ISF weighed in at 3700 lbs.
3. He's making 370 or so to the rear wheels, I'm making 268 to all 4 wheels.
4. Transmission means a lot in the quarter mile. STI Trannys are CRAP for dragging, they're just not set up for it. They're supposed to allow you to maintain high boost downshifting into a turn so you have maximum torque as you exit. It's a rally style transmission. In my 06 STI I can't reach 100 mph in 4th gear (though i understand the 07's can). This means the paddleshifting IS-F is going to have a distinct advantage against me, regardless of how fast i can shift manually.
6. The STI is turbo charged, the IS-F has VVT.

I will say off the bat that drag racing really isn't my thing. If I was into drag racing I would have gotten a different car. Yes going fast is fun, but i get more of a rush out of the twisties than I ever do dragging some idiot in his honda from the line.

From my little list, only one thing is a definite advantage for the STI, the lower weight. I'll not pontificate, as weight reduction is obvious.

The only other advantage the STI has over the IS-F is that of the turbo vs a VVT. Depending on the driver this can be an advantage or a disadvantage. The stock STI turbo is quite literally laggy as hell if you screw up your shift pattern. If you do it perfectly, there's still an element of turbo lag. Moreover, you pay for that higher Torque/HP at the peak with power/torque curve that peaks and drops, like a parabola. Yes there are things you can do about this, but you can't really change the nature of the beast. A N/A or Supercharged car will maintain torque all the way to redline. Our STI's will not. As far as torque is concerned, 6k-7k rpm's are practically useless, and we compound this problem by shifting at the redline while dragging. If you shift at 7k RPM's, you'll likely end up between 5k and 5500 rpm, which is where your power and torque are ALREADY on the back side of the parabola.

My conclusion from all this?
I don't get my panties in a twist about dragging, leave it for the people with the cars built for it.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:02 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Its an IS350-F? meaning its a 3.5L V6 w/306hp and F-Sport mods from the factory and 6-speed auto? Or is it a real IS-F w/ 8-speed manumatic?
Old 06-18-2009, 11:12 AM

Car Info: A crazy ass wagon ! Voltex and 18x9.5 +22 FTW !
Originally Posted by chinoyboi
Wow It's only $42,000? I thought it was something like $70,000... Maybe I'll go pick one up
IS-F is close to 60 new.... you can get a new one for 52000 right now cause they aren't selling.... Wifey wants one REALLY bad thats how i know the prices !
Old 06-18-2009, 11:55 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Originally Posted by chinoyboi
Wow It's only $42,000? I thought it was something like $70,000... Maybe I'll go pick one up
They are 70k, used u can get one for the high 50's. U were checking out the is350.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:06 PM

Car Info: 2011 Impreza 2.5i Dark Gray Metallic
Lexus IS350

Lexus IS F
Old 06-18-2009, 12:17 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
you know why he thinks that? because its a lexus, he just thinks that a car that is more luxurious and more expensive will beat the sti. thats basically the way of thinking, i know because there are a lot of kids around here with is350's and 250's that there mom and pops bought them..... i used to think it was a nice car. but now since so many ppl have em...... i no longer like it lol.

subaru ftw.

/thread

kids at my school think they're hellllla cool cuz they have an is250. they rev their stock engines at me... okeeee
Old 06-18-2009, 12:17 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
Originally Posted by PaulSTI
I have a friend with an IS-F, he maintains that it's a faster car in the quarter mile than an STI. There are additional things you want to think about here.

1. My mostly stock STI weighs in at 3300 lbs.
2. My friend's ISF weighed in at 3700 lbs.
3. He's making 370 or so to the rear wheels, I'm making 268 to all 4 wheels.
4. Transmission means a lot in the quarter mile. STI Trannys are CRAP for dragging, they're just not set up for it. They're supposed to allow you to maintain high boost downshifting into a turn so you have maximum torque as you exit. It's a rally style transmission. In my 06 STI I can't reach 100 mph in 4th gear (though i understand the 07's can). This means the paddleshifting IS-F is going to have a distinct advantage against me, regardless of how fast i can shift manually.
6. The STI is turbo charged, the IS-F has VVT.

I will say off the bat that drag racing really isn't my thing. If I was into drag racing I would have gotten a different car. Yes going fast is fun, but i get more of a rush out of the twisties than I ever do dragging some idiot in his honda from the line.

From my little list, only one thing is a definite advantage for the STI, the lower weight. I'll not pontificate, as weight reduction is obvious.

The only other advantage the STI has over the IS-F is that of the turbo vs a VVT. Depending on the driver this can be an advantage or a disadvantage. The stock STI turbo is quite literally laggy as hell if you screw up your shift pattern. If you do it perfectly, there's still an element of turbo lag. Moreover, you pay for that higher Torque/HP at the peak with power/torque curve that peaks and drops, like a parabola. Yes there are things you can do about this, but you can't really change the nature of the beast. A N/A or Supercharged car will maintain torque all the way to redline. Our STI's will not. As far as torque is concerned, 6k-7k rpm's are practically useless, and we compound this problem by shifting at the redline while dragging. If you shift at 7k RPM's, you'll likely end up between 5k and 5500 rpm, which is where your power and torque are ALREADY on the back side of the parabola.

My conclusion from all this?
I don't get my panties in a twist about dragging, leave it for the people with the cars built for it.

thats some good info right thur
Old 06-18-2009, 12:45 PM

Car Info: 2007 STi
I know that we don't talk about street racing, so I was riding westbound on I-80 between Davis and Dixon in my Stage 2 STi. It has 305awhp and 323tq. I pulled up next to a car i never seen before on the street. It was a lexus IS-F. He accelerated when i pulled up next to him so I returned the favor and passed him with a smile. It is a nice looking car, I would like to get one for my wife.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:48 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

for me? no contest...

lexus. i sat in one for about 20 minutes once... i coulda just melted onto that leather seats...

but man... the AWD is still the thing that brings me back.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:50 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Sedan, 2004 Acura TL
This thread is so confusing...

IS350-F or IS-F? There's a HUGE difference.

You said in the original post that he has a manual, but manual doesn't exist in IS350 or IS-F - only on IS250.

IS-F is v8 rated at 416hp, 371tq. The sports auto tranny is crazy like...8 gears or something...

IS350 and IS-F is night and day...
Old 06-18-2009, 02:27 PM

Car Info: 1988 Carrera & 2013 Carrera S
IS-F hands down. If it's an IS350, then it's fair game.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:25 PM

Car Info: 2002 Aspen White WRX
i saw an IS-F racing a Murcielago on 280...the sound on both cars was ground shaking...
he was keepin up the whole time too.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:23 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
To be truthful...let the best driver win.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:37 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
Originally Posted by fromthasco
i saw an IS-F racing a Murcielago on 280...the sound on both cars was ground shaking...
he was keepin up the whole time too.

the IS-F was keepin up w/ the merc.... riiiight
Old 06-18-2009, 04:40 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
Originally Posted by brucelee
Ah! Now I remember the topgear episode with the IS-F! They gave it bad ratings compared to the M3. And why on earth did they go with fake tail pipes!?
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...1&postcount=31

Originally Posted by Foxy
There's a lot of cars that have 'fake' tailpipes. The problem is that the exhaust moves and gets hot. It'd melt or break something if you fixed it to the bumper, so car designers separate the visible tip from the actual pipe.

Audi R8:

Lambo LP640:

Bugatti Veyron:

Ferrari California:

Ferrari F430 Scuderia:

Quick Reply: 2007 Subaru STi VS 2009 Lexus IS350-F