The 2006 STi Motor that Blew Bits @ the EQ T-Hill Track Day! ...huh?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:39 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
sorry to the 3 people who had problems, that hella sucks. I hope you all get back up and rolling soon. Sounds like a hella hot day out there.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
$2K!?!
That's ****ing cheap.

For the record, no one likes to warranty broken stuff...but sometimes you gotta do it.
Originally Posted by johndabrit
side note:
that 2k is more like at LEAST 2k.. and that is before labor.
It takes a very large investment to get that sort of rate
Old 06-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Shops cars: 07 STI & 07 Lotus Exige S
All of us here are saddened with what happened to JHammer and Matt's cars. Ed, if you need any information at all concerning Matt's engine, please feel free to give us a call anytime and Kevin will be more than happy to help out.

As far as oil coolers, gauges and all other expensive upgrades, we always strongly recommended it to all who build a custom engine here or when they needed it. At times it is really up to the customer who can afford them under their budget.

We strongly stand behind all work and engine builds.

-bryan
Old 06-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
damn thats nuts
Old 06-25-2009, 02:54 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Originally Posted by glenspen
Why are EQ tearing down the block when AutoHQ built it?

I would have thought you should be asking the builders of the motor (AHQ) to find out why it seized. They might not want to deal with it if another shop has opened up the motor.

With a Motor as pricey as this I'm guessing you also got guages...what were they saying?
Originally Posted by AutoHQ
All of us here are saddened with what happened to JHammer and Matt's cars. Ed, if you need any information at all concerning Matt's engine, please feel free to give us a call anytime and Kevin will be more than happy to help out.

As far as oil coolers, gauges and all other expensive upgrades, we always strongly recommended it to all who build a custom engine here or when they needed it. At times it is really up to the customer who can afford them under their budget.

-bryan
Thanks Bryan. Just to let everyone know I got a call from Brian and Kevin today and they were great, we talked and everything is fine.

And for the people asking why I did not have the car come back to autoHQ it is because the cost of the toe was $800 and that money I could be putting into the car to get fixed.

Thanks to Everyone who helped me out the past 3 days!

Matt
Old 06-25-2009, 05:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
That's a good attitude you have, If I had spent $4K on a built motor I would want more than 6 months out of it.

How much mileage was on the motor?
Old 06-25-2009, 05:27 PM

^ about 10k
Old 06-25-2009, 05:37 PM

Car Info: 05 obp sti
I hate it when people can't read! hahaha JK
Originally Posted by medicSTi
... try to stay with me... at the track day I was at... you know, the one in the thread title?
Old 06-25-2009, 06:36 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
Thanks Bryan. Just to let everyone know I got a call from Brian and Kevin today and they were great, we talked and everything is fine.

And for the people asking why I did not have the car come back to autoHQ it is because the cost of the toe was $800 and that money I could be putting into the car to get fixed.

Thanks to Everyone who helped me out the past 3 days!

Matt
Matt, most definitely, we stand behind what we build and we were shocked to hear the bad news with your car. Please keep us posted.

-bryan
Old 06-25-2009, 08:19 PM

^ Will do Bryan, thanks for the support and help today. It's just a bummer but not it's time to spend the money on a oil cooler and some more gauges for the car. If I need anything I will just give you a call.

Matt
Old 06-25-2009, 09:49 PM

Car Info: 05 STi, 87 RX
I've been eyeing this cosworth dry sump oil pump.
http://www.cosworthusa.com/blog/default.asp?idpage=13

Its really expensive!! but ignoring that, I wonder how well it performs. I don't think JC Meynet ever got one for his Time Attack car. Not many people think much of it on nasioc.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1626340
Old 06-26-2009, 08:15 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI - OBP
My Dad the Mechanical Engineer / Race fan has a few questions

In response to Hammers points...

From the top
1. If the Sub has a oil/water intercoller like most new emission controlled stuff, the oil temp was the water temp-at least entering the block. Do Subies have an oil cooler stock?

2. 5-40 may well be better than 10-30 viscosity wise at operating temperature. Thoughts?

5. Buzzing noise..piston crown hitting the head (?) after the demise of the rod bearing assuming the Sub is a non-interferrence engine. Since it was under deceleration, it wouldn't be detonation. Was this engine running open exhaust?

If not, you would certainly hear detonation if it occurred and the ECU might have no ability to eliminate that as it could be spark (timing) independent.

The 100 octane is certainly a good idea on hot days.
He speaks of tunning. What was done? Is the final inlet port temperature similar to an unmodified engine?

Hot ambient air in, temp increase in turbo compression plus inefficiency, temp decrease in heat exchanger (but not as good as on a cool day) and temp increase during compression stroke = ? final temp.

But assuming the engine was well modified, I would suspect lack of oil pressure under cornering. We talked about dry sump but someone also makes a container (+ check valves) that holds a couple of quarts of oil (and some air) that prolongs oil pressure when the oil surges away from the pickup. With a typical oil pump moving 5 gpm that gives you 6 seconds at best of oil pressure without the pump contributing (and then several seconds of lower oil pressure while the container is being refilled). Certainly not a dry sump but you don't have to engineer belts and brackets and plumbing.

Thoughts?

Final equation..datalogger=<$ of new engine?

Thanks for any responses, im very interested in this stuff.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:04 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Originally Posted by pghiocel
I've been eyeing this cosworth dry sump oil pump.
http://www.cosworthusa.com/blog/default.asp?idpage=13

Its really expensive!! but ignoring that, I wonder how well it performs. I don't think JC Meynet ever got one for his Time Attack car. Not many people think much of it on nasioc.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1626340
+1000 to the guy up on top..

Good point, I like the dry sump too but they are not affordable for normal people. There is an alternative of the Accusump. I believe GST's L even has an Accusump.

This application would be really good for high speed sweeping corners where the g-force would push the oil to the side of the oil pan away from the oil pick-up such as turn 2 at Thunderhill.

I know no one likes to install something like this on a daily driver, but I believe this is really easy to install before a fun track day.

Last edited by Ballz; 06-26-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI - OBP
how does that thing work? pressurized oil in there to force it back in to the pan?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
Originally Posted by AutoHQ

-bryan
+1 for all of the bay area shops trying to work together for the best interest of their customers.

Quick Reply: The 2006 STi Motor that Blew Bits @ the EQ T-Hill Track Day! ...huh?