1995 Impreza L Wagon 2.2 starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:53 AM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
1995 Impreza L Wagon 2.2 starting problem

Picked up a 1995 Impreza L Wagon 2.2 a few months ago and its been running great since. Awhile back I went to start it in the morning and the key wouldn't turn in the ignition. Later that day, ignition worked perfectly and haven't had that problem since. Last week however I had a starting problem. Car fired right up in the morning, went to work where the car sat for 9hrs and it started right up to go home. I get home problem free and I'm home for no more than 1hr. Go to start it, and it wont start. I can turn the key and the car gets power (everything that normally lights up, lights up on the dash) but once I turn the key to the "ON" position no power at all. Thinking it might be the battery, hooked up the car to another car with jumper cables and still wouldn't start. What did get it to start is using a screwdriver to short the two connections on the starter solenoid. Had to do this a couple more times since and haven't driven the car for a few days, figuring the starter was bad. Pulled the starter last night took it down to Pep Boys and had it tested where it passed. They didn't have a starter or starter solenoid in stock so I went down to Kragens who did have a starter. I told the guy there how it only starts when I short the two connectors on the solenoid and he said thats odd because it shouldn't start when I do that.

What do you guys think? Think its my starter solenoid? Or perhaps something else like the Neutral Safety Switch? Its an automatic BTW.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:00 AM

Car Info: Reason
could be nss - also, dude at Kragen was wrong when he said it shouldn't start when you do that. I had a jeep that I wired a momentary switch into in order to do what you did with the screwdriver because something was screwy with the ignition circuit. It worked great!
Old 05-19-2010, 10:03 AM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
What about moisture?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by buzzword
could be nss - also, dude at Kragen was wrong when he said it shouldn't start when you do that. I had a jeep that I wired a momentary switch into in order to do what you did with the screwdriver because something was screwy with the ignition circuit. It worked great!
Yeah I had a feeling he might be wrong about that haha Would you happen to know how to check the NSS?

Originally Posted by fizay
What about moisture?
Not sure because I've tried starting it a few times in the morning and one time it did start the other two times it didn't. The one time it did start in the morning, it wouldn't start when I tried later in the day.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:25 AM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
when was later in the day? Like when the temp dropped below dew point? Have you washed it recently? Some times when water/moisture gets into the ignition components it does what you are describing.

EDIT: Re-reading your post, it could also be a connection to the starter somewhere? Cosigned what buzzword said: it could be the ignition circuit.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:40 AM

Morning startup would be at 7:30am, attempts later in the day would be around 10-11am and then at 5pm. I haven't washed it recently but the road to work is really bad in terms of pot holes and bumps so there's always huge puddles. Wondering if water that splashed up could have messed with something. Although the first time (last Thursday) this happened it hadn't rained all week.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:48 PM

Car Info: ugly piece of ****
you should give it to me.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:08 PM

YOoo I think I know your problem!!!!!!!!

Had this is my 97L, when this happens you must;

turn your key to on position, change your Transmission to drive or just move it around to some other gears out of park. Then put it back into park, and your car should fire right up!!!!

use to always work for me!
Old 05-19-2010, 02:13 PM

Car Info: 96 gm(sold), 98 bk, 02 sf
what's the date on the battery? and is there any buildup on it?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by slow04wrx
YOoo I think I know your problem!!!!!!!!

Had this is my 97L, when this happens you must;

turn your key to on position, change your Transmission to drive or just move it around to some other gears out of park. Then put it back into park, and your car should fire right up!!!!

use to always work for me!
I'll give that a shot, thanks for the tip

Originally Posted by y0ungsubi3
what's the date on the battery? and is there any buildup on it?
MMmmm have to check on the date but there is no build up on it.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by 04Impreza
I'll give that a shot, thanks for the tip

MMmmm have to check on the date but there is no build up on it.
oh yea, once you put it back in park take the key out of the ignition, or at least turn to off then try it, not sure what part does it but it seems to register to the ignition your car is not in park, when infact it is......and therefore won't start.......but changing it around etc... then back to park always fixed it for me first time.

One day I was stranded and Like wtf else can I try.....I know my battery is cool.......had just been driving.....so I tried that and boom.......had it happen maybe 10 other times while I had the car and it always was fine after the method described.

Let me know if it works, i'll be curious to find out.

Last edited by slow04wrx; 05-19-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:34 PM

Update:

Tried giggling the shifter, shifting it another gear then back to park, even found a box under the dash labeled "Shift Lock Unit" and unplugged that, car still hasn't started. I searched online for checking and fixing the Neutral Safety Switch and it mentioned one of the things to check if its not working is the reverse lights not coming on when the car is in reverse. Checked this and the reverse lights do come on. One other thing I failed to mention is that the car has Locktronics. Tried starting it with the key in upside down and right side up and nothing. I don't know if it matters but anytime I try starting the car, I hear a click from the Locktronics module and a click from the shifter which I figure is the Neutral Safety Switch.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:17 AM

my old L had an intermittent short in the backup light switch when I first got it a long time ago - I bought a used switch for 20 bucks and I was on my way. I suggest doing the same, only so you can avoid the heartache I experienced when my car was at the mechanic for a month while he tore the whole interior out looking for shorts and broken wires.

The Subaru select monitor can cycle through all the switches, relays, etc in the car to determine what is or is not working. However, I don't know if it will communicate with OBD-I. If I were in your shoes I'd call the stealership and ask if it will, and then base your next obvious move on that. If they can diagnose it that way it could be less of a nightmare.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:45 AM

Thanks buzzword I will look into that. I'm trying to spend as little money possible trying out things so $20 or so on one thing works out great. I already know how it is to spend a few thousand and the car still isn't fixed and still not 100% sure whats wrong with it Do you remember where the back light switch is located?
Old 05-20-2010, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by 04Impreza
Thanks buzzword I will look into that. I'm trying to spend as little money possible trying out things so $20 or so on one thing works out great. I already know how it is to spend a few thousand and the car still isn't fixed and still not 100% sure whats wrong with it Do you remember where the back light switch is located?

I think the reverse light switch/NSS is the same on a manual trans, but I could be wrong.