#1 reason to not run a large website out of your house....

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 11:58 AM

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT Ltd, 2001 Outback LL Bean
I've been posting a bit here, today. Honestly I'm guilty-as-charged of ignoring i-Club, largely since the big split. Evident by my miserable post count.

If I'm not on NASIOC, I'm on RS25, rarely here. But I had a hard time accessing RS25 for the last couple of days, off and on. Put a post up on here earlier....

This place used to be far worse, sort of inundated with the bottom of the barrel, or at least it seemed that way, after the big splitsville with NASIOC and the Nick vs. Alex war. But that was years ago, now.

-Chris

ps - Damn, I got a +17 trader rating on NASIOC so far, guess I'd best see who of that crowd (if NASIOC ever returns) can drop me the same favors here.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2006 BLQ WRX WGN
AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHA.

I love it.

All I know is that my barn is back.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
LOL

That fat ****? No way. He'll say he did to stop people's complaints, but still keep them in his house/place of business.

Karma being a ***** would be sooo nice. Like the roof shearing off, and the servers being picked up and thrown into oblivion.

-Gagan
Karma?

I haven't paid a dime to use the site, so near as I can figure I don't have a legit claim to why I should be pissed at the guy. I've also gotten lots of good tech, good deals and good friends from there...

Why the ill wishes?

*shrug*
Old 10-26-2005, 04:43 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
The ill wishes are because on i-club and BAIC its cool to hate on Nick/NASIOC, for whatever reason.

Its insecurity, like making fun of the popular kids because you wish you could be one. Nothing more. Just hangout until NASIOC comes back, and ignore the highschool antics.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by mcowger
The ill wishes are because on i-club and BAIC its cool to hate on Nick/NASIOC, for whatever reason.

Its insecurity, like making fun of the popular kids because you wish you could be one. Nothing more. Just hangout until NASIOC comes back, and ignore the highschool antics.
You're cute.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:49 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Wacky fun!

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 10-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
I know personally that Alex really doesn't make much off this website, not nearly as much as Nick... Alex runs this site out of an actual data center so in case there is an earthquake/etc the site wont crap out for weeks at a time.

I don't have a problem with Nick and I have been friends with Alex for like 6 years... I'm not trying to take sides here... My only argument is that Nick really needs to get that f'ing server the hell out of his basement, and if were up to me, get it the hell out of Florida.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:01 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by mcowger

LOL! ha ha
Old 10-26-2005, 05:40 PM

Does anyone actually know what Nick makes or are people just pulling numbers out of their ***.

Datacenter BS aside, I wouldn't call Nick stupid if he running nasioc the way he does.
If he really does make that much money, he mus be doing something right.

sounds like a buch of i-clubbers have there head up thier ***...
Old 10-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Ze Mole!

Car Info: 2009 Forester X Limited, 1988 BMW 535IS
I do believe that all numbers stated in this thread are rectally extracted.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:43 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Talking

hmm, does the advertising match the thread?
Old 10-26-2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by WagonMonster
I do believe that all numbers stated in this thread are rectally extracted.

haha, I wonder where they got 120K from. I think he would be driving something other than an STI if he made that much.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:47 PM
I <3 i-Club

Car Info: '04 STi
I have never seen so much speculation and pure hatred for no reason.

Just to answer a few of the ridiculous comments made here...

The site was NEVER moved to a datacenter... I never said ANYTHING to the effect. I'd maybe in the past spoken about talking to some people about it... but the only thing I did say for certain is that I was moving the servers to their new home in a more north part of Florida, and they were getting their own real ICF construction server room with it's own power and AC. And that was 100% true. So please feel free to show me where I said I was moving the servers to a datacenter... I'd like to see where "I" said that... otherwise I'd like a retraction.

NASIOC couldn't be run off a 1U server... and I whoever said it has no idea how, or has ever, run a website that has traffic. NASIOC currently runs on 6 servers... 1 2U Dell 2850, and 5 1U Dell 1425s, and a Dell 210 PowerVault for storage. The 2U is the database server which has 12GB of memory... which costs more than most sites spend on hosting for a 10 year period. For the fact checkers its 6 2GB sticks of single rank memory for the 2850.

Now... I charge the vendors $100/month... (the same amount Alex charges) and in fact most pay less than that because I offer discounts on longer length contracts. So that $150/month average and "most pay more" figure is total crap.

Living in Florida... considering these past two years have been the worst in 40 years prior... I can't say the record is that bad. Yes we have outages ever now and then, but where doesn't. Everywhere has its issues due to location. There is no such thing as the perfect location to host servers. Now as far as moving my servers to a datacenter. I've considered it in the past... the problem is it was never an option because the costs were two great. Only recently after spending just over $35K on servers since the beginning of this year have I had the form factor of the servers into something I can possible send to a datacenter. So that's a very new turn of events. The other factor is NASIOC runs on 5 T1s hosted out of the ICF server room we have built here. We have 15KW generators to power the system, and the room is literally bomb proof, check ICF construction for details. The only thing that I was trying to remedy was connection. And unfortunately there is no type of connection that is foolproof. All data connections to business/residential areas are limited by the number of hops and what is powering the Telco box. Ours was apparently powered buy a 12 hour backup that ran out at 8:30 on Monday night. So no connection short of a backbone connection is without fault. The other concern is bandwidth... NASIOC uses on average per day 6Mb/s during peak hours... which is roughly 17 hours a day. So I need to investigate that cost from a datacenter... originally that sort of BW wasn't cheap.

That all being said... I am in fact investigating datacenter options from this point out as it's become readily clear to me that hosting out of what is a full fledged datacenter just isn't an option. I have even considered trying to become a hop of some sort just so I can get a real legit line in here that wouldn't be subject to these silly outages just because the phone company can't put some sort of real backup solution on their Telco boxes.

All in all... I read this thread just feeling sick... It's not everyday that you get to see a lot of people just plain being nasty to you without reason... especially something like a natural disaster.

What I learned from this thread... apparently I'm an ******* who has no idea how to run a website and is only in it for the money. Nice to know... guess that's why I felt literally sick to my stomach when the connection went down even after I'd done everything I could to ensure it wouldn't happen.

And just for the record... Alex and I are totally cool at this point... this crap you guys keep stirring up is just dumb. If Alex and I can get over what happened... I don't see why the rest of you can't.

And yes Daniel... you are right... as of this point... I want to get the servers the hell out of my "basement" and more importantly the hell out of Florida. I wish I could just up and send NASIOC to a datacenter. It's just not that easy when the site is as large as NASIOC is.

What pisses me off the most is I did everything I was suppose to... but it still wasn't enough. So I really don't appreciate the soap box stars here nit picking me for it. Trust me... I've done my homework... the only place I lacked was investigating datacenters... which I will now do once we are back up and running and I can do some legitimate research.

I also think a few of you here need to be a bit more sympathetic to this situation brought about by hurricane Wilma. This was in fact the WORST hurricane ever on historical record and it caused more electrical damage than Katrina. At one point 6 million people were without power and when the dust settled 7 out of 10 Florida Power and Light customers were without power. And as or right now most of Central and South Florida is in the dark. So have some compassion... or at least think before you speak about something that you've not even taken a moment to consider.

-Nick

P.S. And before anyone asks this post was made on my Cingular Phone connected to my laptop... If I could host NASIOC off it I would! I'm just out of options right this moment.

Last edited by Nick@NASIOC; 10-26-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:51 PM

WERD.....Everyone needs to stop hatin.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:15 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRB STi w/ s202 spoiler
Originally Posted by Nick@NASIOC
NASIOC couldn't be run off a 1U server... and I whoever said it has no idea how, or has ever, run a website that has traffic. NASIOC currently runs on 6 servers... 1 2U Dell 2850, and 5 1U Dell 1425s, and a Dell 210 PowerVault for storage. The 2U is the database server which has 12GB of memory... which costs more than most sites spend on hosting for a 10 year period. For the fact checkers its 6 2GB sticks of single rank memory for the 2850.
Wow. I hate to say it bro, but I do have half a clue what I'm talking about, maybe I just missed out on the scope of NASIOC. That said, my comments were never meant to attack you, but hey, take them as you want, not much I can do to dissuade you. Info time...

Five T1's through the local telco that route to a seperate provider probably cost a lot, especially since the telco is most likely bumping the cost of the lines because they can't make any money on the transit. All I'm saying is that at this point it's probably more economical to move the equipment (yes, all 11U, includes 1U switch... 12U if you want to do a remote power strip, which is usually a good idea if you like to manage reboots on your own) to a datacenter.

You say you do 6Mbps at peak, cool. Most datacenters do 100Mbps drops to customers and either force the line speed to 10Mbps, bill based on a commit speed, or charge for traffic volume. Ideally for a site like NASIOC I'd go for something that bills by a 95th percentile to knock off those huge spikes of traffic without any hurt to your wallet (you effectively get 36 hours of above commit traffic rates free each month, assuming a 30 day month). Any sales rep should be able to advise you on what commit to go with by looking at your current traffic graphs (MRTG for the win).

You can take my information as you like, but it's information and I'm not out to knock you.

Stay dry out there.

Quick Reply: #1 reason to not run a large website out of your house....