#1 reason to not run a large website out of your house....

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 05:10 AM

Car Info: 04' wrx
I for one, Blow no one.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by wrx10404
I for one, Blow no one.
Hey that rhymed! that was like....poetic
Old 10-26-2005, 05:32 AM

....and you guys aren't blowing Alex in this thread?

Yes, I spend most of my time on NASIOC, because that is where most of my gang is, but I am wise enough to have an account here as well as several other Subaru sites, as not any 1 of them is the all knowing, all powerful....

Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
I love the people that come on here and blow Nick and NASIOC. Alex may use adsense but he doesn't profit from this site like Nick apparently does....AND I-Club is run out of a proper Data Center without making much money.

Anybody with half a brain can see that it takes a real moron to run the site the way Nick does. ESPECIALLY IN FLORIDA! That really stands out in my mind.

We would still call him and idiot if he ran the site from his house in say Kentucky where you really don't have to worry about stuff like hurricanes ALL THE DAMN TIME! But he would be a little less of an idiot.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:41 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RedTRex
....and you guys aren't blowing Alex in this thread?

Yes, I spend most of my time on NASIOC, because that is where most of my gang is, but I am wise enough to have an account here as well as several other Subaru sites, as not any 1 of them is the all knowing, all powerful....
We don't come over to Nasic0ck and start talking about how Alex is so great, blah blah blah. I have an account on nasioc too but I spend most of my time here because the MODs aren't completely out of control over here and the people are generally alot nicer to talk to, and I am from the midwest where NASIOC is the only way.

The only reason anyone bashes Nick is because of these few things that some of you fail to see.

A. Alex doesn't run this site out of his F'ing basement

B. Alex doesn't profit from this site.

I could understand and even forgive if he didn't make money and he ran the site from his house in FLORIDA. BUT HE TURNS A PROFIT....ya know?? Put the site in a god damned datacenter!!! MORON
Old 10-26-2005, 05:58 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRB STi w/ s202 spoiler
A forum like NASIOC could easily be run on a single 1U server. Pricing wise, I'll use one of the resellers that run their business out of our (HE.net's) datacenters, EGI Hosting, as a good meter of the cost. For 10Mbps on a 100Mbps port with 1U of space you're looking at $250 a month, and you can bump the bandwidth up to the full 100Mbps; I think they even offer multiple drop connections (2x100Mbps, etc).

So in reality the question is, why the hell isn't NASIOC hosted in a datacenter? For what Nick supposedly makes off the site, it would be a sound business decision to move it to a secure and controlled facility. But then again, people who live in Florida can't be all that sound, now can they? ;-)
Old 10-26-2005, 06:00 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by illogical
But then again, people who live in Florida can't be all that sound, now can they? ;-)
NOPE......
Old 10-26-2005, 06:16 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
NOPE......
You sir are the most correct evAr!!!!! My ex was from Florida, great at first but that **** turned crazy on me. Never another Florida girl again.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:26 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
You sir are the most correct evAr!!!!! My ex was from Florida, great at first but that **** turned crazy on me. Never another Florida girl again.
hahahaha.....lulled you into a false sense of security and then went whacko eh?

My ex was from Arizona and she was a total nutjob! Must be the heat!
Old 10-26-2005, 06:34 AM

hahahaha.....lulled you into a false sense of security and then went whacko eh?

My ex was from Arizona and she was a total nutjob! Must be the heat!

I have no idea. But you said it, lulled into a false sense of security. Just like the state. Warm and beautiful then it starts to get a little cloudy. Next thing you know you're running for you life as your **** gets thrown around.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:36 AM
VIP Member

I have no idea. But you said it, lulled into a false sense of security. Just like the state. Warm and beautiful then it starts to get a little cloudy. Next thing you know you're running for you life as your **** gets thrown around.
:rotfl:
Old 10-26-2005, 06:39 AM

I know you're from Detroit. I met some of the most well rounded girls I've ever talked to there. My dad lived in Auburn Hills for about 6 months and that was one of the best summers of my life.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:41 AM
VIP Member

I know you're from Detroit. I met some of the most well rounded girls I've ever talked to there. My dad lived in Auburn Hills for about 6 months and that was one of the best summers of my life.
Yeah, My fiance is great. Down to earth, easy to talk to, plays sports and is beautiful. Of course she is a Michigan girl.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:49 AM

Yeah, My fiance is great. Down to earth, easy to talk to, plays sports and is beautiful. Of course she is a Michigan girl.
Yeah, I liked Michigan a lot. One of my friends played hockey for them but some bad stuff happened and he doesn't any more. I don't think I'll ever live there again (unless my jobs moves me there which is pretty unlikely) but I like to visit. People there don't take advantage of being so close to Canada as they should.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:06 AM

In regards to your B., I think that ($$$) is the root cause of the disassociation 2 years ago.....yes I was around for that painful as it was......

We don't come over to Nasic0ck and start talking about how Alex is so great, blah blah blah. I have an account on nasioc too but I spend most of my time here because the MODs aren't completely out of control over here and the people are generally alot nicer to talk to, and I am from the midwest where NASIOC is the only way.

The only reason anyone bashes Nick is because of these few things that some of you fail to see.

A. Alex doesn't run this site out of his F'ing basement

B. Alex doesn't profit from this site.

I could understand and even forgive if he didn't make money and he ran the site from his house in FLORIDA. BUT HE TURNS A PROFIT....ya know?? Put the site in a god damned datacenter!!! MORON
Old 10-26-2005, 07:21 AM

Car Info: Totaled Impreza BRP
To make 120k off NASIOC is pretty crazy, but not unbelievable. Obliviously Nick is skimping by hosting it in house or maybe he just has the God mentality. It's very typical in the computer world. Looks like he wasn't being smart about it. You know Florida, loss of power, servers in house, Florida, hurricanes, etc.

None the less, if I was a vendor or advertiser on the website I would review my agreement with Nick because being down two weeks to who knows how long could be a lot of lost business especially right before Christmas. Granted I don't know how many wives or girlfriends get on NASIOC to go Christmas shopping but you know what I mean.

NASIOC's popularity is truly based off OT. Advertising is based on bandwidth and hits and that is where his advertising comes from. It has a lot of good technical articles, but I think it's based off the sheer numbers. People are attracted to sheer numbers, it's called herdism. I firmly believe if i-club did the same maybe the present would be different. For some reason I don't think i-club members want it any different which is even better.

Quick Reply: #1 reason to not run a large website out of your house....