**FOUND** the STOLEN WRX

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:36 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
**FOUND** the STOLEN WRX

GOOD NEWS!
My car was found this morning.
Was apparently stolen (Thursday night) for joyriding by 3 (still-at-large) 20-somethings.
They were spotted abandoning it in in a hurry in Union City, a mere 8 miles from my house, apparently when they blew the transmission and/or clutch, on Saturday morning.
One of the residents right away reported it as abandoned, but the good ol' cash-strapped police didn't check it out until today and ran the plates and found it was STOLEN, not 'abandoned' (duhhh! who would ever abandon their Subie?!).

There are no signs of hot-wiring or lock-picking. Suspicious, considering that I've never made copies for anyone except my wife and a spare key, and all keys are accounted for. Only two performance shops have worked on my car and had a chance to copy my keys with me not around. I suppose I should check if they have any employees who were disgruntled and left.

Thanks for the support and all the searching that went on.
Best of luck who have posted that your Subie was abused and damaged.
I feel for you and know how ugly and murderous your thoughts are.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Sweet!
congrats on finding your car!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:40 PM

Car Info: 2008 specB
Sweet! Glad she came back....
Old 01-19-2009, 01:42 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Awesome... great news. Pretty rare to get joy ride cars back without them being smashed into something or burned. Too big a risk for finger prints and what not. Good luck with the insurance repairs. Hopefully they don't total it.

How old are you by chance?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:43 PM
BAM9 Ladies choice Carshow winner

Car Info: 13 FR-S/05 STI
Im glad you found your ride. . .
Old 01-19-2009, 01:46 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Wow, you lucked out. Congrats.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:51 PM

Car Info: 20psi Daily!
congrats!! should make your insurance company cover the "6 speed" you have in there
Old 01-19-2009, 01:51 PM
banned

Car Info: Honda RVT RC51
Originally Posted by mudpie

There are no signs of hot-wiring or lock-picking. Suspicious, considering that I've never made copies for anyone except my wife and a spare key, and all keys are accounted for. Only two performance shops have worked on my car and had a chance to copy my keys with me not around. I suppose I should check if they have any employees who were disgruntled and left.
It's not unheard of that some shady shops will make copies of your keys and steal your car/parts back later on. It happened to a friend of mine who owned a nice fixed up Honda.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:52 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
congrats on finding your car again!!
Old 01-19-2009, 02:01 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by c32c7
It's not unheard of that some shady shops will make copies of your keys and steal your car/parts back later on. It happened to a friend of mine who owned a nice fixed up Honda.
happened to me with a stereo shop. But what they did was pulled alarm sensors and basically gave themselves a back door into my car.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:20 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
I'm glad the car was found. The next thing to do is to catch the people who stole your car.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:21 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
happened to me with a stereo shop. But what they did was pulled alarm sensors and basically gave themselves a back door into my car.
What shop was that?

I hope those fingerprints reveal something.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:32 PM
General Pimpin'

Stereo City in Union City.

I had it finger printed but stereo installer prints make sense since they are all over the car to install it. I put it together quick but couldn't prove it.

Then I totalled my truck and when I removed the alarm I found the sensors for the passenger door tied up but not plugged in.

Then add in the fact that it was when in dash cd players were brand new. It was an Alpine. Top of the line. 3 disc in dash changer. Had cartridges. I ordered a bunch of them so I could have some pre filled. I had a red one in the deck when it was stolen. They come black. I went back to the shop and they had one in the display case with my red cartridge in it. Mind you the whole thing was special order and they didn't have any in the shop when I ordered it and weren't planning on getting any. I couldn't find my serial number which was my mistake in not being thorough and getting it. I now keep everything I can.

Something to be aware of.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Damn, thats really weird about the key... I know some cars have master keys that open all cars in whatever category the key was made for... Do subies have this? I really hope the answer is no, but who knows these days.

Also, since we're talking about it, don't the STi models have a micro chip in the key which is required to start the car? Like an immobilizer...

Really blows that the f'ed up your transmission, which means that they abused your clutch and differentials as well. I'd push the insurance to replace the clutch as well as the tranny... Tell them that it feels really strange compared to how it used to feel and that you want a new one, afterall, it is the reason you pay Xamount every month so don't let them get over on you!

At least now you get a new transmission and possibly a clutch and whatever else those idiots broke.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:40 PM

Car Info: 07 specB
new tranny! congrats bro, im willing to bet u will sleep much better now

Quick Reply: **FOUND** the STOLEN WRX