**** les schwab...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 11:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
**** les schwab...

so i go to get a new tire put on my car...

and yes just one...

but all my tires have been replaced for some reason or another except the front left one.. so i decide i need to replace that one before some differential **** happens.. i go into les schwab and they tell me "they never sell just 1 tire and mount it for an awd vehicle" i say why not if they are all within a month to 3 months old with very little driving on them..

the guy says its a liability.. so i tell him **** that go measure the tread depth.. so he does.. all 4 tires are up to .04 of a millimeter off from a brand new one..

i tell him theres no problem.. he tells me "replace all 4 or we cannot do it" and goes into this whole thing about what WILL happen to the differentials if i do this and keeps saying "this will happen" and all this crap.. little bit of a scare tactic to get a bigger sale..

i tell him its my car blah blah blah...
IMO thats total bull****.. they shouldn't get to make a judgment like that.. they should warn if its really an issue but not refuse service.. ESPECIALLY over .04 of a mm!! thats NOTHING.

so he con's me into filling out a credit application to get all 4.. then i stopped and just ripped it in half telling him no im doing it cash blah blah.. and i want a quote to bring to my mom so she can loan me the money..

i take the quote (much cheaper surprisingly than all the places i checked) to a local tire place and they price matched and ordered my toyo proxes 4 225/55/16 and said my tread wear difference is no issue at .04mm so they are setting me up with my tire for $133.21 beating les schwab by 10 bucks..

after this i will never go back.. i know the guy was trying to scare me into buying a full set.. cause they probably get penalized for 1 tire.. i understand the liability of having 4 tires with different tread remaining but there was NO issue here..

this is the 2nd bad experience i had with them... first time was with my integra they tried to say that something was wrong.. and i brought my mechanic friend in there and he told me they were full of **** that it was just out of alignment. he aligned it and fixed it and saved me a few hundo.

again **** les schwab and their motto "our business is earning your trust"
Old 04-26-2007, 11:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I love "policies" that increase the sale by 400% :banana:

the last two sets of tires I've gotten from tirerack.com and mounted locally for $50 less OTD than Discount Tire
Old 04-26-2007, 11:38 PM

Car Info: 2016 FXT
lol @ their motto
Old 04-27-2007, 12:03 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
Is the tire difference that big a deal on the differentials? I have tires that are around 6/32 6/32 5.7/32 and 6.3/32, that won't hurt will it? How much 1/32's will it take to hurt the car?
Old 04-27-2007, 12:25 AM
VIP Member

well i am not sure. but i KNOW that .04mm off could not be any worse than my currently bald tire and 3 brand new tires combo i have going right now while i wait to mclea's tire to get the toyo in.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:39 AM

why don't you just go buy one tire from tire rack, it gets delivered. put your car up on a jack stand and bring in the wheel to big o or some crap and have them mount it, go back home and voila. you have now bought 1 tire
Old 04-27-2007, 12:52 AM
VIP Member

^^i was gonna do that but i had already ordered this one when i thought about it. and this deal worked out with mclea's in santa rosa off piner. they are nice guys.

ya it was about 15 bucks more than buying it online and having them mount it but oh well..
Old 04-27-2007, 01:44 AM

Car Info: Monsta
yea i am with you **** them. they wouldn't mount and balance my rims and tires because i didn't buy the tires from them. i said why not and they said "liability." i said all i want you to do is put the tires on the rims and he was just being a huge di*k. so i took them dwn the street and got it done for $60
Old 04-27-2007, 03:21 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
wow in oregon thats all i ever used was them never had an issue but maybe cus the manager at the shop i went to was good friends with my dad heh.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:55 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Subaru says that anything more than a 1/4" difference in circumference is an issue. Less than that and it shouldn't matter.

Ask me what the difference in tread depth translates to. I have no idea.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:02 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
I took mine into the Les Schwab in Livermore, I had a flat on one of the set of proxy-4's I'd bought in Yreka.

They were down to about 1/2 tread depth and I'd driven a mile or so on the flat so it was shot, but they went ahead and gave me a pro-rated warranty replacement, mounted and balanced which I took to Roger Krouse in Hayward and had shaved to match the others.

Maybe the fact that I brought it in off the car released them from that concern, but it seemed like they did the right thing by me for whatever reason.

You must have come across a shop where either they guy in charge was just an idiot or else he didn't want you as a customer, you were right to walk away I would have too.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:00 AM
banned

you needed a loan from your mom? come on....
Old 04-27-2007, 11:39 AM
The Seventh Sister

Car Info: MY04 Forester XT
Originally Posted by Unit 91
Subaru says that anything more than a 1/4" difference in circumference is an issue. Less than that and it shouldn't matter.

Ask me what the difference in tread depth translates to. I have no idea.
Well, if the measurement of .04mm for the tread depth difference is accurate, it would translate into a .25mm difference in rolling circumference... which would be negligible.

circumference = pi * diameter
diameter being .08, or 2 * radius (which is .04)

I'm not a math geek and wouldn't normally know this, but the topic was rehashed on the Forester boards recently.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:10 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bikecraft
you needed a loan from your mom? come on....

i wanted a copy of the quote so the other place could price match it
i didn't expect them to just take my word on it

bad excuse but at that point they seemed pretty annoyed by me.. (not as annoyed as i was) so i needed to make something up as to why i needed a quote in paper lol.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:35 PM
banned

Originally Posted by evsoul
i wanted a copy of the quote so the other place could price match it
i didn't expect them to just take my word on it

bad excuse but at that point they seemed pretty annoyed by me.. (not as annoyed as i was) so i needed to make something up as to why i needed a quote in paper lol.
sorry i misunderstood. :Tomcat:

Quick Reply: **** les schwab...