$700 Billion Bail-out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by R-Dub
This is what Ron Paul had to say with Wolf Blitzer: "Wolf Blitzer: What do you say to the president who wants you and your fellow Republicans and Democrats to quickly pass this $700 billion bailout package?

Paul: Well, I think that's a mistake because we don't have the money. But that doesn't mean you have to do nothing. I mean, we could reform the system. We could return to sound money. We could balance our budget. We could change our foreign policy. We could take care of our people at home. We could lower taxes.

There's a lot of things that we can do. But the worst thing that we can do is perpetuate the bad policies that gave us this trouble in the first place, and that is that we no longer, over the last quite a few decades, believed in free-market capitalism. Capital is supposed to come from savings. We're supposed to work hard and save.

As a matter of fact, the Chinese work hard, right now, and they save, and they're buying up the world. But we borrow and spend and consume, and now it's caught up to us and it's undermining our whole system. ... So this $700 billion is not going to do it.

Paul also argued that ...

... contrary to the White House's contention, this plan does not help Main Street.

"This is Wall Street in big trouble and sucking in Main Street, now, and dumping all the bills on Main Street. ... And you can't solve the problem of inflation, which is the creation of money and credit out of thin air, by more money and credit out of thin air, and not changing policy. We have to change basic policy.

"Yes, it would be painful, but it wouldn't last so long. What they're doing now, they're propping up a failed system so the agony lasts longer. They're doing exactly what we did in the Depression."

"So, yes, there are going to be losses, but everybody lived beyond their means when the prices of houses were going up. Nobody cared about it. They kept borrowing against it. Oh, yes, that was fine and dandy. Everybody was making money, and the owner of the home kept borrowing and living beyond their means. Now they have to live beneath their means.

"What the government is doing now -- and this new program is trying to prop up prices. You want the price structure to adjust. You want the price of houses to go down. You don't want to fix the price of housing. You can't price-fix. We've had too much of that.

"We need a market economy. We need to believe in ourselves. We need to believe and understand how the economy got us -- how the government got us into this mess. And believe me, it wouldn't be that tough. It would be a bad year. But, this way, it's going to be a bad decade."
**** those religous right bastards and social conservatives for picking McCain/Palin and not someone like Dr Paul... someone who believes in the constitution, sound money, and not consumerism.

We, as a country, are stupid... we are going to deserve the downfall that is to come someday for the idiocies of electing people without really looking into them. I mean, dammit, how did we put Bush in office? How did we put Pelosi into office?

Old 09-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Old School

One last thing: and this is going to sound condescending but oh well: email or fax your senators guys.

I really mean it, if enough people tell their senators/representatives that we will not vote for you come re-election if you vote yes on this bill, we will see it defeated.
It's interesting that Pete Stark, my rep, did in fact vote no... amazing. I kinda didn't like the guy, but I have some respect for him. I'm hoping to send him a letter over the weekend to thank him for voting no, and to please be more vocal about this...
Old 09-30-2008, 12:14 PM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
Ron Paul is considered too much of a 'loose cannon' by right wing standards (even though he is Libertarian, so that doesn't make sense to me) thats why he didn't get a nod.

I don't think he's a loose anything - the man has *****. Conhones. Chutzpah. That and he recognizes the China threat while the rest of our politicians run around with their heads cut off.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:40 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Not all of the credit market is frozen - just big banks that got too greedy.

Still plenty of credit to tap from insured institutions.
The credit market is frozen for the most part. Liquidity is not to be had anywhere, not even in banks without subprime exposure. I know this for a fact. It is impossible to get a loan, banks do not have enough deposits and there is not enough interbank credit to be had to jumpstart the credit market. There needs to be a capital infusion, however Washington is going about it in the incorrect way. They have the big banks by the ***** and are acting as though there are no alternatives other than to just give away this money and recieve nothing in return. If they do issue this money in exchange for warrants, which may or may not be redeemed for almost useless stock, it is essentially giving the big banks the power to do as they please. If they were to examine what Warren Buffet did with Goldman, that is purchase $5 Billion in preferred stock, they would gain a voting position in many of the big banks not to mention a seat of the board of directors in many of them as well which gives the fed power to steer the banks in the direction they want them to go in and eventually could sell the stock and see a positive return on their investment, which is what the bailout should be, rather than a blank check rescue plan which is what the defeated bill essentially was.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by jewpac42
The credit market is frozen for the most part. Liquidity is not to be had anywhere, not even in banks without subprime exposure. I know this for a fact. It is impossible to get a loan, banks do not have enough deposits and there is not enough interbank credit to be had to jumpstart the credit market. There needs to be a capital infusion, however Washington is going about it in the incorrect way. They have the big banks by the ***** and are acting as though there are no alternatives other than to just give away this money and recieve nothing in return. If they do issue this money in exchange for warrants, which may or may not be redeemed for almost useless stock, it is essentially giving the big banks the power to do as they please. If they were to examine what Warren Buffet did with Goldman, that is purchase $5 Billion in preferred stock, they would gain a voting position in many of the big banks not to mention a seat of the board of directors in many of them as well which gives the fed power to steer the banks in the direction they want them to go in and eventually could sell the stock and see a positive return on their investment, which is what the bailout should be, rather than a blank check rescue plan which is what the defeated bill essentially was.
I'd like to see the banks fail. Only the strongest, well run banks will survive.

I mean, that's the right thing to do, reward the banks that were smart and invested well, and didn't shell out credit to every schmuck that walked through the door.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I'd like to see the banks fail. Only the strongest, well run banks will survive.

I mean, that's the right thing to do, reward the banks that were smart and invested well, and didn't shell out credit to every schmuck that walked through the door.
As much as I would like to see them get their come-uppance as well, especially since it would benefit me and my employer greatly, that would be devistating to the economy and would take years and years to recover. Our government just needs to lose the attitude that we owe the big banks something where as the fact is that the big banks owe the american people something. However the government getting the bad paper in their control and renegotiating the terms of the loans to be manageable and then selling them back as good loans wouldn't be the worst thing in thew world. However, I dont think that is necessarily the plan.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:55 PM

Car Info: nothing
ron paul for the win!!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
I hate Obama, I hate everything he says....

McCain is okay... He has my vote.

I still have a dream that ron paul will take house.... one day.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
I should etch "ron paul" on every bullet I fire
Old 09-30-2008, 04:26 PM

Car Info: Porsche 911 GT3
Originally Posted by brucelee

it is a bit scary how you say that with a picture of a gun for an avatar. Run Obama, run. Brueclee is after you with a gun.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by brucelee

I feel the opposite about McCain/Obama

But the same about Dr. Paul
Old 09-30-2008, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I feel the opposite about McCain/Obama

But the same about Dr. Paul
Me too, except I think McCain is OK, but Palin is an unqualified nutjob who if elected I will seriously consider moving to another country.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:42 PM

Car Info: nothing
last time a vice president ran the country....?? I think Palin will serve biden.

Well i'm glad we all agree on ron paul.. it's too bad he dropped out god damnit!!! I really did like the dude!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:22 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
If the credit market are frozen - why do the 0% and 1% balance transfer offers keep rolling into my mailbox? A few days ago I recieved a one year 1.99% balance transfer offer from Bank of America and yesterday I received a zero percent balance transfer offer until 2010....and take a wild guess where that came from..... WAMU!!

F this bailout, I already emailed our reps - I suggest you do the same. No more printing money out of thin air!!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:23 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by Traxamillion
last time a vice president ran the country....?? I think Palin will serve biden.

Well i'm glad we all agree on ron paul.. it's too bad he dropped out god damnit!!! I really did like the dude!
McCain isn't in the best of health and he certainly isn't getting any younger. It's not the most improbable situtation.

As far as Palin serving anybody, you said the same thing about Friday's debate. Either way, I'd like to see Sarah "Interview To Nowhere" Palin and "Slow" Joe Biden. This should be much more entertaining than last Friday.

Quick Reply: $700 Billion Bail-out?