$390 ebay FMIC review

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 01:28 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by Krinkov
though Im sure you are also aware that pressure drop across an intercooler also occurs by the action of the cooler air exiting the IC now having less pressure than the hotter air entering the IC, therefore pressure drop cant reliably be used to measure an ICs restriction since pressure drop is also a measure of an ICs efficiency

Let us know how it fits, and before anyone rolls their eyes at the idea of an Ebay intercooler keep in mind that about all of the companys out there selling intercooler kits are using cores made overseas and putting their names on it
Yeah that's something I've always been curious about. Ideal gas law -> pressure varies inversely w/ temperature (kelvins), right? So if I drop like, 550k to 320K (pretty reasonable estimate for high boost), it seems like there'd logically be almost 50% pressure drop... but that doesn't make sense.

And yeah I totally agree w/ you on the ebay thing; ebay parts have pretty impressive build quality, after this my turboback, uppipe, and headers, and intake, and fmic will be all ebay. Hell if they start selling STI shortblocks and FP Greens on ebay I might buy some too. On one hand as an American I want to buy authentic products to support our businesses, but as a student on a budget so I guess that's my excuse

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying ebay products are better; I have no doubt they are of poorer construction (say 304 instead of 321 steel for the headers, etc.) and maybe last not as long, rust easier, etc.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:41 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by verc

And yeah I totally agree w/ you on the ebay thing; ebay parts have pretty impressive build quality, after this my turboback, uppipe, and headers, and intake, and fmic will be all ebay. Hell if they start selling STI shortblocks and FP Greens on ebay I might buy some too. On one hand as an American I want to buy authentic products to support our businesses, but as a student on a budget so I guess that's my excuse

hehe, well i dont know if I would go that far, my point was more that alot of Expensive stuff is made in the same factories as alot of the cheap stuff. But Ebay parts should be judged on a case-by-case basis
Old 07-09-2005, 10:54 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
...DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying ebay products are better; I have no doubt they are of poorer construction (say 304 instead of 321 steel for the headers, etc.) and maybe last not as long, rust easier, etc.
I've seen the Ebay headers - fitment was almost okay - it looked okay, but wouldn't seal - always leaked...so use a little liquid gasget and it sealed but the flanges were so thin that they cracked....so reweld and then find out that it makes less hp than stock because the headers are too restrictive or bad length and the exhaust pulses cancel each other out....sigh

Beware Ebay items...that said, I can't think of anything wrong with an FMIC unless it is too restrictive or it leaks....or the hoses pop off (but you can fix this one) or if the metal is so thin and/or the welds so poor that it cracks with normal wear and tear and then you have boost leak that you can't locate to repair.

Good Luck.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:21 PM

Yeah I guess y'all missed my thread on nasioc; I'm trying to be the highest WHP car using as much ebay equipment as possible
Old 07-10-2005, 03:49 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Yeah I guess y'all missed my thread on nasioc; I'm trying to be the highest WHP car using as much ebay equipment as possible
Most HP with ebay Equipment? How about trying this!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...560799068&rd=1

If that doesn't give you more HP than most subies, I don't know what does.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:02 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Most of us don't read nasioc.

You are being sarcastic though, right?
Old 07-10-2005, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by AntiochCali
Most HP with ebay Equipment? How about trying this!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...560799068&rd=1

If that doesn't give you more HP than most subies, I don't know what does.

not even close! Just buy 100 of these, thats like 3000 extra hp!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...985089325&rd=1
Old 07-10-2005, 06:06 PM

Car Info: 03wrx =]
Haha, just hope all your ebay parts don't decide to fall apart at the same time, then you'd be really screwed! j/k dood.

Let us know how the install goes!
Old 07-10-2005, 06:19 PM

and lets not forget Miguels "smokey mountain" headers that glowed orange hot!

set the header wrap on fire, haha smokey mountain indeed!:rotfl:
Old 07-11-2005, 09:47 AM

lol. I'm sure there are multiple brands of ebay equipment ranging from crap to good.

I forgot the mention that the FMIC came with pretty awesome piping (sorry I didn't take a closeup shot); nice T-bolt clamps, polished, edge beaded (is that the word?) as well as silicone couplings from http://www.hightempsilicone.com/ Pretty good welds on the endtanks. (little bit - maybe 100 mils) of offset on the welds for the pipes however) I doubt it will fall apart.

The headers are the only thing I'm really worried about since people have had leaks and cracks with even mainstream tuner brands? It's made by Megan Racing though, which is pretty reputable as a "copycat" manufacturer in the DSM community.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:12 AM

Car Info: WRX
finished installation yet?
Old 07-13-2005, 09:45 AM

Nah I'm busy with work. Get around to it in septemember, will update this thread then...
Old 07-13-2005, 02:10 PM

Car Info: WRX
Whoa! September? Holy Shiznick...
Old 07-13-2005, 03:46 PM

sept??WTF?? should have that IC in about 2-3 hours, what the hells gonna take you 2 months on it??
Old 07-13-2005, 05:50 PM

heh well I guess I have to clarify:

1. core fitting: I don't know how the hell to fit it on, I am still an fmic n00b; I'll come to the LIC meet next thurs for advice.
2. cut pipe, put on bov flange: machine shops on campus closed until september.

But don't get me wrong, I really do want to see how this fmic compares to others, and especially to the Helix unit I currently have.

Right now my setup is whacked up, so in the next few weeks I'll probably work with Ed to wire up the GM boost solenoid (cheap alternative to the Perrin unit, like 20 bucks for those of you who don't read NASIOC) + dial in 18psi. That way I can get a better comparison of efficacies; I imagine the data will be more helpful to other people that way.

Probably do something like Helix@18psi vs. Helix@20psi vs. FMIC@18psi vs. FMIC@20psi (the tmic vs. fmic comparos I've seen have all been like 18vs. 20+ psi)

Last edited by verc; 07-13-2005 at 05:59 PM.