Aftermarket Forced Induction - Turboed factory NA engines Turbo EJ25! Who said that all Subarus are created equal? Aftermarket turbochargers on factory normally-aspirated engines (factory turbo engines have their own forums).

TOP MOUNT CO2 Spray

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 11:57 AM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
it's completely fine to use a sprayer with ANY intercooler, all it does is increase the intercooler's ability to transfer heat when the sprayer is in use.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:13 AM

Car Info: 93 WRX Wagon (Silver)
i know some japanese dudes just put crushed ice on the top mount intercooler before they race... infact some other tune shops i have seen over here do that very thing..... but CO2 sounds good.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:17 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Legacy L 5-speed
yes, its fine to use on a top mount but I have heard that the spray is fairly ineffective. But if your set on having it I have seen it done on top mounts (it looks really cool when test fired while the car is motionless and the gas is just crawling out the scoop)
Old 12-18-2003, 12:47 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally posted by whitelegacy98
yes, its fine to use on a top mount but I have heard that the spray is fairly ineffective. But if your set on having it I have seen it done on top mounts (it looks really cool when test fired while the car is motionless and the gas is just crawling out the scoop)
It's plenty effective at what it's meant for, which is reducing heatsoak. There's a reason IC spray is stock on both the STi and Evo VIII.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:17 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Im still curious to see what the main difference between the CO2 and a N2O spray is.

I understand that the CO2 is cheaper to fill, but from my understanding, it uses a lot more CO2 then N2O to cool down the IC.

The main problem is that the entire line has to be filled with Liquid CO2 for it to work, while I believe the N2O can still be a gas and cool just as well

Have you looked into this at all ?
Old 12-18-2003, 09:19 PM

The answer to that question lies in my Intro to Chem book. Anybody want to borrow it and look up the heat transfer properties fo the compounds in question? I'm too lazy, because my IC spray is going to be water with a little alcohol-based window washer fluid.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:54 AM
BanHammer™

Originally posted by BAN SUVS
The answer to that question lies in my Intro to Chem book. Anybody want to borrow it and look up the heat transfer properties fo the compounds in question? I'm too lazy, because my IC spray is going to be water with a little alcohol-based window washer fluid.
I dont think its more the properties of the compounds in question ( both are pretty cold )

what I want to know is how much CO2 is lost in the lines since it all has to be liquid to cool, and if N2O is more efficent since it can be used as a gas to cool unlike CO2
Old 12-22-2003, 05:41 AM

It just occured to me reading that post that you can't get liquid CO2 out of a non-pressurized nozzle. Or rather, you have to have a significant restriction by the nozzle relative to what the line will flow at hgh pressure. You would have to have something like a fuel injector allowing highly pressurized CO2 to reach the IC, because otherwise a lot more of the cooling capacity is wasted on the line itself than on the IC.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:21 AM
BanHammer™

if thats the case, and the CO2 does not have that setup, all you are going to get out of the end is cold air, which I dont think will do any good honestly as a spray.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:00 AM

Car Info: '03 Wrx w/vf-34, sti pinks,tbe, 2.5l cobb block
I don't like the fact of cooling an intercooler that fast. because when you are done using it the intercooler will heat up quick. the contracting and expanding of any metal that fast will create cracks after awhile. that is just my experiance with working with metal.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:20 PM

Car Info: silver 2.5 tr 2006MT wrx
why not take your air conditioning lines and run them through the intercooler, the ac lines can cool stuff down fairly quickly, just remember to hook the lines up the right way though, the pressuerized freon goes in then expands absorbing the heat, the on it's way back to the compressor, it will most definnetly work, but you will have to figure out how to introuduce the r14 to the ic and recalim it, a copper coil in it or around it would work, you know the thin wall copper tubing thatis bendable. and all you have to do is insulate the copper on the way to the ic.
just my 2 cents, some body try it i am curiious to see if it would work.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:28 PM
BanHammer™

any extra power you would make doing that would prolly be used up by running the AC compressor
Old 01-16-2004, 05:17 PM

Car Info: silver 2.5 tr 2006MT wrx
does the a/c realy use that much power? i was told that they do not use alot like the older modle cars, the other thing is i noticed is that when you romp on it, the a/c if it is on, the air warms up,/ i guessed becaue the compresser shuts off momentarily, while the engine is under a heavey load. i may be wrong though, just an ASSumption.

Quick Reply: TOP MOUNT CO2 Spray