Aftermarket Forced Induction - Turboed factory NA engines Turbo EJ25! Who said that all Subarus are created equal? Aftermarket turbochargers on factory normally-aspirated engines (factory turbo engines have their own forums).

Possible new purchase questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 08:09 AM

Car Info: 99 2.5rs
As it always comes down to how much money do you want to spend.

The stock ej25 (your 2.5 liter engines engine code) was not made for boost. So it could handel about 6 psi on a regular basis. If your power goal is at about 250-260 crank h.p then the ej25 is for you.

You could find turbo kits at ludespeed.com , spomotorsports.com or cobbtuning.com. If cobb ever comes out with one.

Cobb also has other non-turbo upgrades for the ej25 that could be used with the turbo kit.

Now for the big power you have two options.

One is the ej20 wich is eithier a usdm or jdm( japanes domestic market) swap. It's a 2 liter that is factory turboed and has a huge aftermarket that can make 300 plus reliable h.p.

Thier is a company named i-speedusa.com that can do the swap so it looks like factory. They are kinda spendy at 7500$ for the engine and swap. This is expensive but it's one of the better ways to go because more power can be had for less of a hassel.

If emissions is one of your concernes then the usdm ej20 swap is the way to go. Because it will pass the whole inspection in california and washington state for sure. Even if it is making 300 plus h.p , if you do it right by picking the right components.

The next option is the one you can make the most h.p with, but the engine is kinda new.I-speedusa.com can put a 2.5sti engine into your 2.5rs but I don't think they have done one, yet. But I don't see why they couldn't. So no one knows the exact limits of the stock engine ( I think). But it is the biggest you can get next to the ez or ej30 but that a whole other thread.

I hope all of this helped and welcome to the family ( I hope )

Last edited by boomer; 10-01-2003 at 08:12 AM.