Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

my recently purchased OBS...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 05:31 AM

my recently purchased OBS...

just got back from picking it up, over-all i am happy with the purchase, i got a pretty good deal on it so that makes it easy to look over some of the "rougher" qualitys of the car... basically there is a crack in the front lip of the front bumper, no biggie, 2 quarter sized surface rust spots located on each rear 1/4 panel by the wheel well, seems to be a rather common spot for this chassis, a slight tick (the car hadn't been started in a few months, i'm thinking an oil change will clear that up, what kind of oil do you guys usually use in these things?), also its got a nasty little hum to it going over like 10 mph, i haven't really taken it to far since its not plated yet, i remember reading a little while ago that its a common higher mileage problem, and its like the carrier bearing or something? i've never messed around with anything that is rear drive, so i dont know, but the guy gave me the part to fix it... aside from all that, the interior is just gross, it needs a thurough cleaning, hence no pictures of it yet , and a few door dings here and there, but thats about it for the nasty points of the car haha, heres some pictures...

on the road:

finally home:

Old 10-25-2005, 03:00 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
im diggin the color, needs some wheels and maybe debadge it. congrats on the purchase!!
Old 10-25-2005, 03:51 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
Nice, looks like a fun project car, and it can haul stuff like snowboards on the roof!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Deride
Nice, looks like a fun project car, and it can haul stuff like snowboards on the roof!
you read my mind ... i'm gonna take the impreza sticker off of it, but i'm gonna leave the subaru letters on the back, outback sport badges on the side, and the "outback" sticker with the tread marks on the back... its mostly my daily driver, but i do plan on doing some mild rally-x's with it, nothing to extreme... thanks for the replies ... i like the color too, it looks purple in a few of the pictures, but in person it is just a REALLY deep blue, looks really sharp, cant wait to get a coat of wax on it and see what it looks like, i'll bet it will have some serious depth to it...

now, where to get some i-club stickers ...
Old 10-26-2005, 02:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Welcome to the world of all wheel drive....bend over and bite your lip...this won't hurt a bit.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by bpang1
Welcome to the world of all wheel drive....bend over and bite your lip...this won't hurt a bit.
oh how true this is , its not the carrier bearing, its a wheel bearing, which is not going to be a cheap repair ...
Old 10-26-2005, 01:57 PM

I just sold the exact car, same color, 1997 and replaced it with a wrx wagon. To be honest I love the wrx but still miss the obs a little bit. When you get it fixed up, you will understand how perfect they are
Old 10-29-2005, 08:32 AM

thanks for the warm welcome guys, looks like the repair is way more than i can afford , so i've filed a claim with ebay/paypal, unfortunatly i only paid 500 dollars through them so thats the most i can get back, and the repair was a few hundred more than that, but if i could get that much back i would be able to just barely afford the repair bill... ebay scammers really **** me off, this is not the first time i've been scammed on ebay, and i'm sure it wont be the last ...
Old 10-29-2005, 11:03 AM
This Guy Can Hella Draw!

Car Info: '14 MBP FXT | '03 WW Evo VIII
Sorry to hear about your situation. Good luck. OBS are awesome, i've owned 2.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:09 AM

Car Info: 97 Impreza Outback Sport (sorta)
I have the exact same car but I've done quite a few things to it. Next to the WR Blue Pearl the Brisbane Blue Pearl is the nicest blue suby has. One thing I changed was I changed the grey on the bottom to Black Midnight Pearl.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:15 AM

hm, changing the lower color sounds cool, would definitly set your car apart from others... and this blue is definitly growing on me more and more, personally i didnt really want a blue OBS, but i figured if one came along i wouldn't turn it down just because of the color, but after looking at it after a wash i'm really glad i got blue, its got such depth, but at the same time if your not looking just right it looks flat, its really odd, but definitly a good color...

and i resolved the situation, we settled on him returning 300 dollars to help cover the cost of repairs, which is fair enough, the guy kept trying to strong arm me, he probably assumed i hadn't gone through stuff like this before and wouldn't know what to do/follow through, which i did :P... but all is well now, so i can really start to enjoy this awesome car, i think later tonite i'm gonna go have some fun on some local dirt backroads, forcast is rain ...
Old 11-03-2005, 05:10 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
nice house