Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

BE/BH Dress-up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 02:37 PM
DLC

Car Info: 2000 Leg GT LTD
BE/BH Dress-up?

Ok, now that i finally own a car with a smidgeon of aftermarket body part support, i think i might take advantage of it.

I'd like to eventually get either an aluminum B4 hood, Baja Turbo hood (not sure what it's made of), or something like the Seibon CF model. I know Erebuni makes a few, but their rep is less than poor for fit and finish. The nice thing about CF is that it's light, looks good on white, and you don't have to worry about painting it.

Same goes for eyelids.

Imprezer has the JDM front and rear lights, which i dig, but wow they're pricey.

I think i'll pass on body kits, but a grille and perhaps a front bumper cover would be cool. Zero/Sports are pricey, but also seem to be very popular. Same with SYMS. My Hyper-Rev no.3 makes me very envious, **** for a car geek...

Debadge? I simply haven't gotten around to removing mine yet, but i'm not sure if i should replace them with B4 badges or something. The "Limited" is definitely getting evicted...

What have you guys done?
Old 10-07-2004, 10:57 AM

Well, from mine and a couple others experiences there are 2 JDM B4 hoods, one is aluminum, the other is mild steel, or sheet metal, or "normal" which would be the same as the Baja hood. CF would be the way to go if you want something light, I recall a few years ago (or months lol) some vendor was making CF hoods with the scoop in it.

Eyelids are cool. CF lids would go good with CF hood.

The JDM lights ARE pricey, and boy do I know, The rears are well worth it though, for once on, you can easily debadge and still promote Legacy (since it says "Legacy" in the center band rather than "Subaru") The front lights however could be de-Oranged by the DIY method. As for the badging, the "Legacy" does have holes behind it, so something should be done, or some body work to leave it clean. I'll be Honest, I put the B4 badge on, for I was headed that way. But I later put the "GT" badge so it overlapped the holes.

Pass on the bodykits too, new grill though, Syms is cool, or go JDM, whihc I believe is close to the 03-04 model grill, along with the front bumper looks more JDM.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:24 PM
DLC

Thanks for the info on the hoods, that's good to know. I think the CF route is probably the best route.

It's also good to know that the front lights can be de-oranged, and that the JDM rear lights say "Legacy". Nice touch, maybe the "Subaru" was some SOA BS.

Finally, good to know that the Legacy badge has holes. So you ended up with a B4 and GT badge on the back? I guess there is a JDM GT, but it's the wagon body. I do have an STI and TEIN badge though...
Old 10-07-2004, 02:42 PM

No Problemo for the info on the hoods. I only know that myself and 2 others (JoeT and PHATsuby) ordered JDM hoods (from 2 different vendors) I ended up with an aluminum, while they got the "normal" steel.

Yes, I believe on scoobymods there is a write up of the de-oranging, if not, it is very similar if not identical to the WRX de-oranging, basically bake and peal or use a heat gun (recommended)

I would have no doubt the "Subaru" is a SOA thing, regardless, the darker shade red and "Legacy" looked much nicer IMHO, especially on a red one.

Yes, the Legacy emblam did have holes, but if I recall that was the only ornament that did, although I did not have a Limited. As for the B4/GT portion, I had aquired a "B4" emblem, and used that to cover up the holes, left by the "legacy" emblem, seeing as the "B4" emblem also had pegs to go within the holes. Long story short the emblem was one of the parts I sold in my parting out, so with the holes still there, I had to cover them somehow, so I found my "GT" emblem and placed it over the holes. (Hmmmm, is that confusing enough, wow, I am confused and I was there LOL) I was considering getting the Bilstein emblem/sticker to cover them at one point seeing as I DID have a B4 Bilstein suspension.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Oh, and a coolish thing I recall back a year or two ago, was some members making G-backs, or Out-T's, or GT/Outback. In essence, converting the GT bumper to a Outback bumper. food for thought I guess.

Last edited by AKSubie; 10-07-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:56 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
I never thought about Baja turbo hoods. I will look into it.

Yeah, I got JDM tails and heads and I love them

AKSubie is correct on the holes under the Legacy badge. B4 badge fixes that.

I really dig the early BE Blitzen look. That is what I think I will get. And, of course, wingless.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
I got my tails and heads from auactions.yahoo.co.jp

I got a buddy in Japan, he picks them up for me and I pay him a bit more to pay for his time.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:46 PM
DLC

The Blitzen is just awesome. Apart from the S401, it's the best looking Subaru every to come out of the factory in any way, shape or form.

I'm still a fan of the Limited wing, maybe because it's not that conspicuous.

I know a few guys on the other Legacy forum have done the Baja swap, but if i remember right, the hood is more than any CF one i've priced out. Add to that it being made of steel, and you're not really gaining much over stock. A better option for a turbo setup, swap or bolt-on, would be to replace the front bumper and go front-mount, improving the car's look and making for a better intercooling solution anyways.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:19 PM
DLC

Well, i don't know if anyone here saw it or bid on it, but i was able to snag the better part of a Zerosports Type 3 grill from eBay. It's missing the mesh and logo, but the former is easy to find, and the latter unecessary. I think i can probably get away with some high-quality spraypaint and clearcoat instead of having it professionally done. We'll see.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru
fyi on the baja hood....i took down the following info regarding the part number from someone else some time ago:

"I was told by member **** that it was 57220ae01a but I am not sure. I never had to give it to the dealer, they just located it in their system. And you would also need the hood scoop insert (I don't know the part number for that). I did not know the insert was seperate until I went to pick up the hood...had to postpone my appt at the body shop... Hood is about 300 and the scoop is about 100. Good luck!"

I plan on doing this when I get the cash...but that could be some time from now.

on another note...im trying to track down info on an 04 bumper...which I think looks better than the 00-03...hard to find pictures of difference...but they are different.

fibuz

Last edited by fibuz; 10-16-2004 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:07 PM

Yes, one thing I learned as well as the others whom started the BE B4 hood was there is infact the hood itself, along with the scoop surround/trim. Not sure on the numbers though.

The 04 bumper is the same as the 03 I believe, the 00-02 have the wide foglights and sctrakes dividing the lower grill where as the 04 (and I think 03) have the projector type foglights with the more JDM look lower grill openings.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:32 PM
DLC

Got a problem that someone with a JDM hood may be able to answer. I found a Zerosports Type 3 grill on ebay, sans the mesh and logo. Price was decent so i purchased it, got some mesh and went to install it.

Problem is, it's smaller than the stock grill...

Do the rev A-C hoods use the same grill as the USDM ones. Is the rev D smaller? I have some pictures if you're not sure what i'm talking about.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru
supposidly the fenders are different(making a jdm light conversion impossible)...so maybe the hood is too, although I wouldn't think so. Maybe its a mislabled previous generation grill? Back to ebay it goes I guess

In what way is it smaller? bottom, sides, top? all of the above?
Old 10-25-2004, 09:51 AM
DLC

Well, i can't see it being for the previous generation, because all of the documentation i got says it's for a BE/BH. It's just smaller in every way, top, bottom and sides. Here's a pic of it sitting where it should go:

Just a bit too small...
Old 10-25-2004, 10:50 AM

It is possible the grill is for a rev-d version. I am not sure the differences between the grill openings, but know the hood changed slightly for the Rev D including the lights/openings for the lights so the grill might've changed as well. I recall the BD/BG series grills being slightly "shorter" than the USDM ones.

As for teh JDM light swap, The Rev A-C JDM legacy lights will fit within the USDM lights you will just have a different beam pattern LHD versus RHD. The Rev D ones, which look better, would require the hood/fenders and possibly bumper. (or so I remmeber when discussion was being done a while back)

Quick Reply: BE/BH Dress-up?