Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

what's a good turbo upgrade 4 a wrx

Old 10-02-2004, 09:31 AM

what's a good turbo upgrade 4 a wrx

I"ve been trying to get an IHI VF30 turbocharger but i just can't find one anywhere no one has them in stock. What's a good alternative replacement for the stock turbo with a comparable price and performance?
Old 10-02-2004, 10:10 AM

vf34, basically the same turbo as the vf34 except ball bearing.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:31 PM

Car Info: 2005 Metallic Gray STI
Vf

VF22 all the way....
Old 10-02-2004, 12:35 PM

Car Info: 2005 Metallic Gray STI
Fuel system

Dont forget to upgrade your Fuel system by adding a set of Walbro Fuel Pump, STi Injectors, Perrin Fuel Rails, & Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator...

you then can get your ecu reflashed by Cobb Tuning.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
Go to www.gruppe-s.com and I'm sure you will find exactly what you're looking for!
Old 10-02-2004, 07:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
Originally Posted by My_Red_Suby
Dont forget to upgrade your Fuel system by adding a set of Walbro Fuel Pump, STi Injectors, Perrin Fuel Rails, & Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator...

you then can get your ecu reflashed by Cobb Tuning.
fuel rails and adjustable fpr are not needed with any of the VF series turbos.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Evo X, 04 STI, 335i, Fit
+1 for a VF34, STI pink injectors and Walbro Fuel Pump package w/ engine management. Even w/ a stock intercooler, the VF34 setup makes great power and can be had for a reasonable price.

-Soren
Old 10-04-2004, 11:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Giant Bowery '84
I suppose I'm also a newbie since I haven't done any sort of modifications to my WRX Wgn.
I notice a lot of mixed opinions on what's needed before installing an after-market turbo. So really, which component is necessary before getting the turbo, what's their functions? Another thing is, I notice a lot of you suggest the vf turbos, but have any of you installed the pricier turbos such as the ones on the grupe-s site... i.e. power enterprise, hks, greddy. Last but not least, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I could mod my engine so that it can be nearly equivalent, performance wise to the JDM EJ20 (Sti), without swapping. I know this is a lot to ask, so any help, even little, would be greatly appreciated. thank you all.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: 2002 WRX
i would say use a vf34 for the most part its a good street turbo. i have the vf34 with a version 3 sti tranny and i luv the better grear ratio. the trouble is if you go with the vf22 you will have more lag then the stock turbo becuase the turbo takes longer to spool up. if you are dead set on using the vf22 i would consider getting a sti tranny with 4:44 gears to help with teh turbo lag i work at a subaru performance shop in california called Fineline imports. and the owner has the vf22 with a version 4 tranny and he has no turbo lag. in japan with the wrx that came with the vf22 they came with a tranny with 4:44 gears. So if you are dead set on that i wold definently replace your tranny. if not the vf34 is great i went with the better 4:11 gears but you dont have to and will still be happy if you want to buy and subaru related stuff of have another questiion you can reach me at Ryan@finelineimports.net or website it finelineimports.net if you want to check the place out good luck with your car
Old 10-07-2004, 04:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Giant Bowery '84
Originally Posted by FLIWRX
i would say use a vf34 for the most part its a good street turbo. i have the vf34 with a version 3 sti tranny and i luv the better grear ratio. the trouble is if you go with the vf22 you will have more lag then the stock turbo becuase the turbo takes longer to spool up. if you are dead set on using the vf22 i would consider getting a sti tranny with 4:44 gears to help with teh turbo lag i work at a subaru performance shop in california called Fineline imports. and the owner has the vf22 with a version 4 tranny and he has no turbo lag. in japan with the wrx that came with the vf22 they came with a tranny with 4:44 gears. So if you are dead set on that i wold definently replace your tranny. if not the vf34 is great i went with the better 4:11 gears but you dont have to and will still be happy if you want to buy and subaru related stuff of have another questiion you can reach me at Ryan@finelineimports.net or website it finelineimports.net if you want to check the place out good luck with your car
great info ... thanks a million.. now my car is all stock with no mods.. what do i need to get before even thinking about the turbo? up pipe down pipe.. and what not?
Old 10-08-2004, 07:58 AM

i say go with the vf39.

I say upgrade your fuel system, flash ur ecu or get an u tec. Bolt on an vf39 boost to 17.5 psi then with an turboback exhaust 3in all the way back and upgraded header. Spray 40 wet shot of nitrous and u smoke the vf34, 30 , 22 all day long. depends on driver and if they are spraying 2.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:01 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX (Black)
Originally Posted by Konrad_WRC
I say upgrade your fuel system, flash ur ecu or get an u tec. Bolt on an vf39 boost to 17.5 psi then with an turboback exhaust 3in all the way back and upgraded header. Spray 40 wet shot of nitrous and u smoke the vf34, 30 , 22 all day long. depends on driver and if they are spraying 2.

Yea... and smoke your motor to.

Pushing above stock boost pressure is already playing with fire. N20 on top is never recommended and only tried with a margin of safety if your biult.

VF22 dont have a good reputation for durability. The 34's are a good fairly cheap upgrade. If you looking to get good spool time and long life and reliability with great power gor with the PE1820f... and if you want to biuld your car to be a monster and are willing to go the extra mile with the mods consider an fP green.

Not to mention all the mods you should be doing before even considering jumping right into a stage 4 setup.

-K
Old 10-08-2004, 09:57 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Originally Posted by Randy26
I"ve been trying to get an IHI VF30 turbocharger but i just can't find one anywhere no one has them in stock. What's a good alternative replacement for the stock turbo with a comparable price and performance?
I've put a lot of money in my car and run several turbos - including a VF30.

I would suggest that the two best for the 2.0 liter are:

1. 18G - won't last as long, mine was a dry turbo, but spool is excellent.
2. SR-30 - a little expensive, but it's a wet turbo and response is a little better than the 18G

Good Luck
Old 10-09-2004, 09:43 AM

Your Wrong

yeah blow your motor yeah right. U need some n20 101.

Cooling your aircharge making your air more dense gives you more horsepower. You are adding Fuel with N20 which is perfectly safe. if you dont know dont be an smart little person say u gonna blow your motor.

Tuning on an 98 GS-T: (Dont do this you gonna Blow your motor :P) This is an safe setup

Stock motor
boosted to 15psi and sprayed an 35wet shot with an K&N cone adapter and an catback. Gained 235hp and 251tq

baseline was 195hp and 190tq. So u be the judge.

A/f at baseline was close to 10:1 with the increase in boost pressure and the 35shot a/f went to 12:1. So yeah easy way to make power will blow ur motor right if u have an proper engine mag with the proper plugs u can do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what's a good turbo upgrade 4 a wrx