Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

I guess there's hope...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 11:30 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
I guess there's hope...

Too bad Jr is so blinded by his second birthing that he'll veto it all anyway...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ist_stem_cells
Old 07-29-2005, 11:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
I wonder who can reach the center first, Bill(Frist) or Hillary? This is political bs imo. Frist is strongly pro life, how can he have it both ways? It's like a vegan saying it's allright to eat roadkill since it's already dead.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:31 PM

No it's not BS, maybe his opinion of when life begins is different than the majority of the pro-life constituents. Not only that, but maybe he realizes that if the fetus was to be aborted already, why the hell not use it for stem cell research. You seem to be claiming that Frist did this to gain more widespread support...but everyone else that has commented on the subject believes that he just alienated himself from his whole constituancy. So, if he's 'racing to the center' he's doing a crappy job of it. In my opinion, he's just telling it how he feels it should go instead of bowing down to the religious right's outlandish and fantasy based image of 'life' (that life is the most valuable thing ever until the gov't decides to go to war...then life is expendable...).
If being pro-life and pro-stem cell research is hypocritical, so is being pro-life and pro-war...which is the whole republican party.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
While I see your point and some what agree with you on the issue, I really do think he's doing this for political gain,
Originally Posted by MVWRX
(that life is the most valuable thing ever until the gov't decides to go to war...then life is expendable...).
If being pro-life and pro-stem cell research is hypocritical, so is being pro-life and pro-war...which is the whole republican party.
A couple points:
1.) Fetuses don't volenteer or get paid to be aborted
2.) I happen to be pro-life and pro stem cell, but I believe there are other ways of obtaining them. But I really don't think that is his motive for his position.
3.)(Nice stereotype) And you say we're biased. Is anyone really pro war? I don't think so. Nobody(sane) likes war, but there are those that say sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I happen to be pro-life, but I also believe that there are certain circumstances where an abortion should be warrented. What I disagree with is the women who use it as a form of birth control. My wife worked with a (disgusting, pathic excuse for a)woman who had at least 4 abortions and is pissed off now because she can't have kids. I think it's terrible, but there is also a part of me that think her and people like her, should not spread thier genes.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
Is anyone really pro war? I don't think so. Nobody(sane) likes war.
...there are several prominant republicans that do, if fact, feel that war is a good think. So yes, some people are pro-war and indeed like it. Ever hear of General Patton (sp?)? There is a philosphy that was mentioned in another thread not too long ago about how some people in the current admin feel that war is the only way towards progress in society.

Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
My wife worked with a (disgusting, pathic excuse for a)woman who had at least 4 abortions and is pissed off now because she can't have kids. I think it's terrible, but there is also a part of me that think her and people like her, should not spread thier genes.
That's awful, and I agree that in that case abortions are bad. But stem cell research is SO different, and like you said there are other (less controversial) methods for getting the stem cells. Unfortunatly Frist is the only one who sees that, and so the Bush admin is against all stem cell research (it scares them because the unintelligent and religiously zealous republican constituancy would be offended by any stem cell research at all). It's really a case of a whole group of people (and therfore their voted-in officials) are refusing to listen to anyone but themselves, and they've made up their mind that 'Stem Cells are the DEVIL Bobby Buche'.